The experience is of shooting wildlife is the best part.

4 years 7 months ago #658333 by trsmith
I took this shoot in one of the remote areas of Guatemala called the Mirador Basin. I was in a tree next to a watering hole miles away from the main camp. They are called the White Lipped Peccary and are consider dangerous. They are known to kill jaguar defending themselves.  
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Queenofwinter
4 years 7 months ago #658340 by Patrick G
Seriously?  How big are these things?  It's kind of hard to tell with the photo.  

Photo Comments
4 years 7 months ago #658391 by KENT MELTON
Can't the Jaguars out run these pigs?

Photo Comments
4 years 7 months ago #658437 by trsmith
These guys as adults are about 3 and half feet long and 24 -36 inches high. The first group that came through when I was in the tree circled my tree since they could still smell me and then started making rattling sounds as a warning to not mess with them. I was pretty high in the tree in the beginning since jaguars climb trees but when I took these pictures I was on the lowest branch and could almost reach down and scratch their backs. I had tied myself to the tree, since if I had fallen out they would of gnawed my left off.
4 years 7 months ago #658438 by trsmith
It's not that, it's when jaguars are trying to take one down and if they do not pounce on top and crush their scull in one motion then the peccary will swing around and disembowel the jaguar.
4 years 7 months ago #658440 by trsmith
I do not have a picture of a jaguar attacking a peccary, here is one of an unlucky dog and what the jaguar will do. these shots on not in the proper order.
4 years 7 months ago #658497 by Steve Rodriguez
Really cool! Welcome to the site! 

4 years 7 months ago #659084 by Adam Wilson
Sad but really cool shot! welcome to the site! 

4 years 7 months ago #659398 by Bobby Mitchell
Yeah! It is really cool! Welcome to the site. You may post your shots in Wildlife Forum.

4 years 6 months ago #660668 by trsmith
Thanks for the warm welcome and I will take your advice and post in the wildlife forum. I have a lot of footage from our camera traps of all kinds of wildlife. The Mirador Basin is in Northern Guatemala contains one of the largest tracts of virgin rainforest left in Central America.
4 years 6 months ago #660774 by Kyle Johnson
Wow! it would be great! Welcome to the site! 

4 years 6 months ago #660822 by michaelsmith
I swear! I think its the best feeling ever. There is this adrenaline spike plus satisfaction that you get in wildlife photography.:thumbsup:

4 years 6 months ago #660907 by Stephen Graham
Wow! it must be amazing! Share us your photos. It would be awesome. 

4 years 6 months ago #662873 by Queenofwinter
Very dangerous and awesome shooting! Thank you for sharing. :-)

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024