What do you think of Nikons 35mm f/1.4

12 years 9 months ago #116686 by Fugler
What would you use this lens for? I'm trying to figure out if I want to get this or not. Would be nice to see what others consider this lens good for.

Thanks for your opinion.

Photo Comments
12 years 9 months ago #116703 by effron
Do you mean the newer version? The moderate wide angle capability of the lens is suitable for interiors, weddings, photojournalism and landscape photography. Pretty pricey, but looks to be a fine lens. I don't have this one, mostly because my 24-70 2.8 covers that, and its fast enough on my D700........B)

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
12 years 9 months ago #117152 by John Landolfi
I have the AIS version, which is I wonderful lens. I have also used it on the D2X, which I used before getting the D3. On a DX camera, it works like a 50mm f1.4, so you could ask yourself whether that would be useful. I find it is a good walk about lens on my backup D200, which is easy to carry and very versatile, not to speak of the CRC feature for close shooting. A great lens, if you find use for it.

Photo Comments
12 years 9 months ago #117351 by Joves

John Landolfi wrote: I have the AIS version, which is I wonderful lens. I have also used it on the D2X, which I used before getting the D3. On a DX camera, it works like a 50mm f1.4, so you could ask yourself whether that would be useful. I find it is a good walk about lens on my backup D200, which is easy to carry and very versatile, not to speak of the CRC feature for close shooting. A great lens, if you find use for it.

Exactly! It is a great lens and on a cropped body the same field as the 50mm on a film/FX camera. So it sees close to the same your eye sees the scene. You can use it for anything and everything. You just have to compose the shots with your feet, a practice which is under rated in these days of zooms. Focusing with your feet makes you take your time when shooting.

12 years 9 months ago #117400 by McBeth Photography
I have never tried the 35 f1.4, but if John likes it then its probably a great lens. I've heard great things about the 35 f2 and thats probably what I'll get if I ever sell my 35-70mm 2.8.

It is what it is.
12 years 9 months ago #117616 by John Landolfi

McBeth Photography wrote: I have never tried the 35 f1.4, but if John likes it then its probably a great lens. I've heard great things about the 35 f2 and thats probably what I'll get if I ever sell my 35-70mm 2.8.

Don't do it, Barry! That's one of the best and sharpest mid zooms ever, and fast to boot! It is even good at moderate Macro, and makes a great travelling lens.:)

Photo Comments
12 years 9 months ago #117723 by McBeth Photography

John Landolfi wrote:

McBeth Photography wrote: I have never tried the 35 f1.4, but if John likes it then its probably a great lens. I've heard great things about the 35 f2 and thats probably what I'll get if I ever sell my 35-70mm 2.8.

Don't do it, Barry! That's one of the best and sharpest mid zooms ever, and fast to boot! It is even good at moderate Macro, and makes a great travelling lens.:)

I think you're right about that one John, I kinda go back and forth on the idea of going all primes though. Probably end up keeping the 35-70mm since I just got it CLA'd and it's tip-top right now. Truth be told, my next purchase really should be a nicer camera body.

It is what it is.
11 years 6 months ago #254702 by McBeth Photography

John Landolfi wrote: I have the AIS version, which is I wonderful lens. I have also used it on the D2X, which I used before getting the D3. On a DX camera, it works like a 50mm f1.4, so you could ask yourself whether that would be useful. I find it is a good walk about lens on my backup D200, which is easy to carry and very versatile, not to speak of the CRC feature for close shooting. A great lens, if you find use for it.

:agree: John is 100% right about this being a great walk-around lens for the D200 (or any other crop body for that matter), after getting one of my own, I can say that this lens is a keeper! I recently bought a nice copy of the Nikkor-N 35mm f/1.4 Ai'd and couldn't be more pleased!

Here are a couple of shots....

The close focus ability is really quite amazing too!

It is what it is.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024