Manual Focusing a 50mm 1.8 lens?

12 years 1 month ago #212688 by The tado
Is there any good resources that I could read or watch on manual focusing? I picked up this lens and for the most part I'm happy with my shots. My only complain is that the auto focus in low light situation is a real hit or miss for me. So switching to manual focus seemed like the OBV solution, however my results were about as hit or miss as my auto focus

12 years 1 month ago #212691 by 135 Mark
Not that I'm aware of; remember that today's DSLRs aren't meant to be manually focused. They lack the split-prism type focusing screen typical of film bodies, and the viewfinder of an APS-C type camera is rather dark compared to that of a full-frame camera. You can buy add-on split-prism style focusing screens which supposedly help, but I have not tried them.

Your best bet will be to focus slowly and carefully, finding a section of the scene where you can most easily tell if it's in focus (text on a sign), focus past, and then back on to the subject.

12 years 1 month ago #212692 by Moose 5
Do you have the AF-assist feature turned on? Are you using the center focus point (it's the only one that's a cross-type focus point)?

Turn the lens manual focus ring and go from unfocused, through focused, to beyond focus. Watch the in-focus indicator in the viewfinder out of the corner of your eye as you slowly turn the lens focus ring back to focus.

Having the focal point lit helps a lot. Even human eyes have difficulty focusing in low light, for the same reasons cameras have trouble, low contrast.

12 years 1 month ago #212694 by The tado

135 Mark wrote: Not that I'm aware of; remember that today's DSLRs aren't meant to be manually focused. They lack the split-prism type focusing screen typical of film bodies, and the viewfinder of an APS-C type camera is rather dark compared to that of a full-frame camera. You can buy add-on split-prism style focusing screens which supposedly help, but I have not tried them.

Your best bet will be to focus slowly and carefully, finding a section of the scene where you can most easily tell if it's in focus (text on a sign), focus past, and then back on to the subject.

Really, cameras are not meant to be manual focus? That's news to me, it seem every camera Nikon comes out with is manual focus and the only way auto focus work is if you have a lens with a auto focus motor in it.

12 years 1 month ago #212695 by The tado

Moose 5 wrote: Do you have the AF-assist feature turned on? Are you using the center focus point (it's the only one that's a cross-type focus point)?

Turn the lens manual focus ring and go from unfocused, through focused, to beyond focus. Watch the in-focus indicator in the viewfinder out of the corner of your eye as you slowly turn the lens focus ring back to focus.

Having the focal point lit helps a lot. Even human eyes have difficulty focusing in low light, for the same reasons cameras have trouble, low contrast.

yup the AF assist feature is on and I am using the center focus point.

12 years 1 month ago #212744 by icepics
I've been using mechanical manual cameras for so long I don't even remember how I learned to manually focus a camera. But sometimes if I'm having trouble focusing I try to find something with a hard edge or line to focus on, then reframe the shot. That's with the object I'm focusing on being in the same plane as the subject (not closer or farther away). Or if I"m having difficulty focusing I look away for a minute then back thru the viewfinder, that seems to help give the eye a break and then I can often get it in focus. I guess it might just take practice.

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 1 month ago #212770 by Screamin Scott
What you are not taking into account is, is the fact that with the advent of auto focus, lenses no longer have a long focus throw (number of turns of the focus ring to get from closest focus to infinity). They did away with that so the AF motor doesn't have to work as hard (& it works faster as well with the shorter focus throw) . Older manual focus lenses are able to be more precisely focused with their longer throw. Couple that with the fact that the focusing screens are optimized for AF operation as well & it becomes difficult to accurately manually focus an AF lens. You have to rely on the internal rangefinder (green dot) to acquire proper focus. That or else do what I do & that is to use older manual focus lenses along with having changed out my focus screen to a split image model...

The tado wrote:

135 Mark wrote: Not that I'm aware of; remember that today's DSLRs aren't meant to be manually focused. They lack the split-prism type focusing screen typical of film bodies, and the viewfinder of an APS-C type camera is rather dark compared to that of a full-frame camera. You can buy add-on split-prism style focusing screens which supposedly help, but I have not tried them.

Really, cameras are not meant to be manual focus? That's news to me, it seem every camera Nikon comes out with is manual focus and the only way auto focus work is if you have a lens with a auto focus motor in it.

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
12 years 1 month ago #212772 by McBeth Photography

Screamin Scott wrote: What you are not taking into account is, is the fact that with the advent of auto focus, lenses no longer have a long focus throw (number of turns of the focus ring to get from closest focus to infinity). They did away with that so the AF motor doesn't have to work as hard (& it works faster as well with the shorter focus throw) . Older manual focus lenses are able to be more precisely focused with their longer throw. Couple that with the fact that the focusing screens are optimized for AF operation as well & it becomes difficult to accurately manually focus an AF lens. You have to rely on the internal rangefinder (green dot) to acquire proper focus. That or else do what I do & that is to use older manual focus lenses along with having changed out my focus screen to a split image model...

The tado wrote:

What brand and type of screen do you recommend Scott?

It is what it is.
12 years 1 month ago - 12 years 1 month ago #212774 by Screamin Scott
I prefer the central split image (diagonal split) with the microprism collar...I got mine from www.focusingscreen.com/

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
12 years 1 month ago #212791 by Dori
I don't know what body you have but the D5000 has a 'Rangefinder' setting which works along the same lines as exposure. In the center focus. The only drawback is it won't work at a very shallow DOF. Under 4.5 I think.

Don't pi$$ me off, I am running out of room to store the bodies...

Resident Texasotan...

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024