Nikon D800 users... what are your thoughts on the Nikon MB-D12, Multi Battery Power Pack / Grip?

11 years 9 months ago #242996 by Alex
$400 investment. What I'm looking for are pro's to having this. Other than much longer battery life and better grip?

Thank you for making PhotographyTalk.com your photography community of choice.
Photo Comments
11 years 8 months ago #243592 by Joves
You pretty much named the only two reason to have a grip on any camera. Other than that I cannot see a reason. Probably does not help much but that is how I see it.

11 years 8 months ago - 11 years 8 months ago #243625 by Stealthy Ninja
Better weight balance when using heavy lenses like the 24-70 and especially the 70-200.

I find the D3s had a much better balance than the D800 (ungripped).

I wouldn't buy the Nikon one though. Buy one from Pixel or Phottix. I can pick them up at a mall specializing in photo gear here in HK (since they're HK companies). However, you can buy them online fairly easily. The grips aren't complex machines so these cheaper versions are almost as good at a much cheaper price. UNLESS you need good moisture sealing, then Nikon is obviously better.

Dennis, just wondering, have you tried a grip on your D300? :)

ALSO THEY MAKE YOU LOOK MORE PRO!

Verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry important.
11 years 8 months ago - 11 years 8 months ago #243674 by Alex

Stealthy Ninja wrote: Better weight balance when using heavy lenses like the 24-70 and especially the 70-200.

I find the D3s had a much better balance than the D800 (ungripped).

I wouldn't buy the Nikon one though. Buy one from Pixel or Phottix. I can pick them up at a mall specializing in photo gear here in HK (since they're HK companies). However, you can buy them online fairly easily. The grips aren't complex machines so these cheaper versions are almost as good at a much cheaper price. UNLESS you need good moisture sealing, then Nikon is obviously better.

Dennis, just wondering, have you tried a grip on your D300? :)

ALSO THEY MAKE YOU LOOK MORE PRO!

Verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry important.

Tempting, I do shoot a lot near the ocean. I wonder if that mist would be a concern?

If you want to shoot at the ocean and on tripods, then it might be worth the investment. The orginals are more solid on tripod mounts.

Photo Comments
11 years 8 months ago #243675 by Stealthy Ninja
Mmm for your purposes a genuine grip may be better. I've read the tripod mount is more solid on the Nikon grip than on the 3rd party ones. Also shooting near the sea all the time it might be worth having the extra sealing.

I'll only get mine to help balance large lenses when I shoot events. So YMMV really.
11 years 8 months ago #243816 by Alex
I'll need to kick this around a little longer. Not 100% sold on it yet. Thanks for the heads up bro.

Photo Comments
11 years 8 months ago #243817 by Stealthy Ninja
Wait till I check out the HK brand ones, maybe they'll be good enough for you.
11 years 8 months ago #243858 by Alex

Stealthy Ninja wrote: Wait till I check out the HK brand ones, maybe they'll be good enough for you.

Sounds like a plan!

Photo Comments
11 years 8 months ago #247142 by Stealthy Ninja
OK so the HK ones are worth what you pay for them. They're not very good compared to the proper Nikon ones, so if you're the type of person who wants the buttons to feel the same, then consider the real one. If you don't care and just want functionality (or to save a lot of money) get the Chinese grips.

The Nikon one is about 5x the cost of the Chinese made one, so if you want something to try out then go for the Chinese made grips and if you find they aren't good enough (but you like having a grip) then you can always buy the Nikon one later. The time you have using your Chinese made grip will let you save for the Nikon grip. ;)
11 years 5 months ago #259995 by studiotoffa
Beside what you've mentioned, it's just the balance that's better when handholding fast glass like the 70-200mm f2.8 and the option to run the camera on AA-batteries in an emergency. But if you are used to use a camera that have a gip or a built-in grip, then it helps with the feel and handling of the camera as well, but if you're not used to it, invest rather in more memory cards, and prime lenses.

Please visit me at Studio Toffa Photography www.studio-toffa.com
img\def

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024