Got to play with a D600 today

11 years 7 months ago - 11 years 7 months ago #252359 by Stealthy Ninja

Basically it's a lot like a D7000. Very similar.

The D600 is solid feeling. Not as solid as the D800/e but pretty good. If you've ever used a D7000 you'll know what it's like.

So anyway, a lot like the D700:
  • The dial at the top is the same.
  • The size is the same.
  • The weight is the same.
  • The button layout is the same.
  • The ergonomics are the same

The main difference is the AF area in the VF is smaller than with the D7000. Because the D600 is a FF camera and it shares the AF system with the D7000. The D7000 AF area is very small in the middle of the larger FX viewfinder.

Here's what I mean. This gif compares the D7000 coverage to the D600 coverage:

Now this is the reason why I think the D600 AF coverage is so tiny compared to the D800. D800 AF vs D600 AF coverage:

I have owned the D7000 before and it's ok. A little small for me but usuable. I personally don't like the size because I don't like it when my hand falls off the bottom of a DSLR (my little finger rests under the camera with the D600 and I'd prefer all 4 fingers to be griping the body).

Oh one other thing, the D-Pad thing on the back of the D600 seems too small and hard to control to me. I prefer the D800 version a lot.

So bottom line, would I buy it? If I didn't have a D800(e) I might be tempted. But I'd still prefer a D800/e

Don't forget the: :thx2:
11 years 7 months ago #252360 by Screamin Scott
Which is closer to the size & weight of a D300, the D600 or D800?

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
11 years 7 months ago - 11 years 7 months ago #252361 by Stealthy Ninja

Screamin Scott wrote: Which is closer to the size & weight of a D300, the D600 or D800?

Just by feeling it I'd say the D800.

After researching on B&H:

D800:
Dimensions (WxHxD) 5.7 x 4.8 x 3.2" / 14.5 x 12.2 x 8.1 cm
Weight 2.20 lb / 1.00 kg

D300s:
Dimensions (WxHxD) 5.8 x 4.5 x 2.9" / 14.73 x 11.43 x 7.37 cm
Weight 29.63 oz / 840 g Body only

D600:
Dimensions (WxHxD) 5.6 x 4.4 x 3.2" / 14.2 x 11.2 x 8.1 cm
Weight 1.11 lb / 0.50 kg Camera body only

SO I'm right. The D300s is 340g more than the D600 and 160g less than the D800.

Also the feel of the D300s is more solid than the D600. Not that the D600 feels weak, it's just that you can hold the D300 and D800/700 with all 4 fingers of your hand so it feels more solid.
11 years 7 months ago #252889 by Joves
This is a camera that does not even tempt me to buy. Just the body specs are enough to turn me off, and the cheesy selector dial for the Modes. Also the body is plastic fantastic if I remember right. This might appeal to some people who want to upgrade to Full Frame without the higher price tag though. But for me I hate those smaller bodies as well, that and neutered shutter speeds do not help either.
Now what I am hoping that this does not signal is that Nikon will not make another cropped sensor that is metal. If this is the case I will have to figure a way to keep my D300 alive forever. While I do want a D800E badly, I would still like to see a solid cropped body as well.

11 years 7 months ago #252890 by Screamin Scott
Looks as though I'll have to save for longer than I wanted, to get a D800 that is...

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
11 years 7 months ago - 11 years 7 months ago #252930 by Stealthy Ninja

Joves wrote: This is a camera that does not even tempt me to buy. Just the body specs are enough to turn me off, and the cheesy selector dial for the Modes. Also the body is plastic fantastic if I remember right. This might appeal to some people who want to upgrade to Full Frame without the higher price tag though. But for me I hate those smaller bodies as well, that and neutered shutter speeds do not help either.
Now what I am hoping that this does not signal is that Nikon will not make another cropped sensor that is metal. If this is the case I will have to figure a way to keep my D300 alive forever. While I do want a D800E badly, I would still like to see a solid cropped body as well.

I agree. Though I don't feel the body feels much weaker than the full mental bodies. The plastic is pretty strong. Still I'd prefer a larger body though.

I kinda agree that they need to bring out something like a D400. Especially with a fast FPS. Budget sports guys would be all over that. Of course keep the better AF system.
11 years 7 months ago #253069 by Joves

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

Joves wrote: This is a camera that does not even tempt me to buy. Just the body specs are enough to turn me off, and the cheesy selector dial for the Modes. Also the body is plastic fantastic if I remember right. This might appeal to some people who want to upgrade to Full Frame without the higher price tag though. But for me I hate those smaller bodies as well, that and neutered shutter speeds do not help either.

I agree. Though I don't feel the body feels much weaker than the full mental bodies. The plastic is pretty strong. Still I'd prefer a larger body though.

I kinda agree that they need to bring out something like a D400. Especially with a fast FPS. Budget sports guys would be all over that. Of course keep the better AF system.

Well that and wildlife shooters love the crop sensor with the FX lenses. I personally love the weight of a metal body over plastic, but the grip is the main thing. I remember my D50, 80 as being too small and my pinky always under the base, and I do not have bog hands either. They just felt toyish. Like I said I realize that with the D600 they are going for a certain segment of the buying public, it just is not me. :rofl:

11 years 7 months ago #253249 by Foggy
Good write up, thanks for posting this. I was thinking about upgrading my D300 to this, but think I might just go with the D800 yet. The price is nice, but everyone is saying the same thing. Go with the D800.

:thx:

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024