News Article: Is the NEW Nikon 70-200mm f/4 Telephoto Lens Worth the Money?

11 years 5 months ago #258957 by PhotographyTalk

Image via Nikon Rumors

Nikon recently announced a new 70-200mm f/4 telephoto lens packed with a next generation VR system that allows for image stabilization for up to five stops. Rumors have been swirling about this lens announcement for over a year, and it seems that the lens is now official. Canon has had its own equivalent lens since 2006, and it has become a popular alternative for photographers wanting a cheaper and lighter alternative to the 70-200 f/2.8 . Nikon appears to be bridging the gap for its own customer base with this new f/4 telephoto zoom.

We’ll give you some more insight on Nikon’s newest telephoto lens. Made to suit full frame FX-format cameras, the new 70-200mm expands on Nikon’s f/4 series of lenses and is a lighter alternative to its f/2.8 sibling lens. The 70-200 f/4 includes two focus modes: the manual focus (M) and autofocus with manual override (M/A). When paired with the new Nikon VR image stabilization feature, this new lens will help photographers shooting in low light or by handheld support by reducing camera shake and image blur up to five stops. Curious to see how images with this new lens turn out? Nikon Rumors has some sample photos taken with the new 70-200 f/4.

Some photographers might question if the new 70-200 f/4 lens is worth it over the f/2.8 version, and we say it comes to functionality. For someone planning to use the lens to take video or shoot relatively stable, unmoving objects, then the f/4 lens with the new VR technology might provide some value, since getting the few extra stops of support will help with managing the 70-200’s weight and size. However, still photographers whose photo subjects tend to be moving most of the time, the f/2.8 will likely offer more of a competitive edge when it comes to image clarity.

Currently, the 70-200 f/4 has a suggested retail price of $1,399.95 and is available for pre-order , with shipment expected to begin in late November.

What do you think, Nikon users? Do you have a use for a 70-200 f/4 telephoto lens, or would you prefer to stick with the f/2.8 version?

Attachments:
11 years 5 months ago #258970 by McBeth Photography
I for one, am very excited about this lens. The close focus distance of around three feet is MUCH better than my 80-200mm and I can see lots of shot potential because of this. 200mm @ f4 will completely blow out a background and isolate the subject very well.

Yes, for sports shooters this lens might not be ideal for getting that 1/500th shutter speed indoors with most bodies but it will probably be more usable as the ISO ranges continue to improve.

My next big purchase will probably be a new body, after that .... this lens. :drool:

It is what it is.
11 years 5 months ago #258984 by John Landolfi
It does look very good, Barry. I just got the 75-300VR to use when the 70-200 f/2.8 is not needed, especially travelling. It can be had for 1/4 the price, and that fit my budget...!

Photo Comments
11 years 5 months ago #258991 by Foxy Girl

John Landolfi wrote: It does look very good, Barry. I just got the 75-300VR to use when the 70-200 f/2.8 is not needed, especially travelling. It can be had for 1/4 the price, and that fit my budget...!

I'm sorry but I don't understand "use when the 70-200 f/2.8 is not needed" when would you use this over the 75-300? Is it only when larger apertures are needed?

Photo Comments
11 years 5 months ago - 11 years 5 months ago #258994 by Stealthy Ninja

Foxy Girl wrote:

John Landolfi wrote: It does look very good, Barry. I just got the 75-300VR to use when the 70-200 f/2.8 is not needed, especially travelling. It can be had for 1/4 the price, and that fit my budget...!

I'm sorry but I don't understand "use when the 70-200 f/2.8 is not needed" when would you use this over the 75-300? Is it only when larger apertures are needed?

The 2.8 is sharper and faster. The other has a bit more range. So I guess he'll use the 2.8 when he wants quality and the other when he wants something lighter and convenient (more range).

Personally I'd skip teh 75-300
11 years 5 months ago #259026 by McBeth Photography
If this lens is half as sharp as my old 70-210mm f/4 (Constant f/4) then this will be one heck of a lens! The 70-210mm is one of the lenses that I really regret selling, it also was very close focusing (around 3.3 feet) and this was very useful for getting a shallow depth of field.

I have not tried the 75-300mm VR, I have tried the older 75-300mm with the tripod mount and it is a pretty stellar zoom. I guess that my experience with the 70-210mm is the biggest reason for the excitement ... ;)

It is what it is.
11 years 5 months ago #259099 by John Landolfi
I had the 70-210, and gave it to my daughter. As Adrian says, I'd use the 70-200 when the best quality was needed. The other is lighter and easier to pack for travel

Photo Comments
11 years 5 months ago #259412 by Moe
Nikon is following Canons footsteps with more consumer level lenses that are more affordable.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024