Is Nikon Discontinuing Their Smallest and Most Affordable Speedlight? Will you Miss it?

11 years 5 months ago #259483 by PhotographyTalk

Image via Adorama

Is Nikon about to discontinue production of their SB-400 Speedlight units? According to Nikon Rumors , German retailer Mediamarkt has already listed the compact, lightweight flash unit as discontinued, and a possible indication that Nikon will make an official announcement soon, possibly to make way for a SB-400 replacement.

Nikon’s SB-400 is a very simple yet quality external flash unit that was introduced in 2007 and currently retails for $116.95 , as Nikon’s most affordable Speelight. Regarded as an entry level flash, the SB-400 is controlled in i-TTL and has a variety of flash modes allowing it to be commonly used for fill flash and general photojournalism and portraiture. At 4.5 oz, the SB-400 is also Nikon’s second smallest flash ever made, compared only to the smaller SB-30 at 3.2 oz. One of the only downsides to the SB-400 is that it has no manual exposure mode.

If you don’t opt for the SB-400 as your external flash of choice, the next step up is the pricier SB-700 at $329.95 , the SB-900 (also Nikon’s flagship Speedlight) at $494.95, or the top of the line SB-910 at $549.95 . Or you could go with the discontinued yet quality SB-600 at about $200, but it’s still quite a huge price jump from a little over a hundred bucks! Of course, there are also the more affordable $150 R1C1 flash units (the SB-R200), but these macro flashes are meant more for small groups and use with a macro rig.

So what do you think, photographers? If the SB-400 is to be discontinued, would you miss it, or are you already head over heels for the larger and more powerful Nikon Speedlights?

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: shinoj peter
11 years 5 months ago #259489 by Lucky One
Get 'em while they are hot! Really though, it's only a matter of time that they discontinue these flashes and then years from now the SB700's and SB910 will be replaced with sB5000!

11 years 5 months ago #259556 by Meskill
Well it was bound to happen sooner or later. I'm sure you'll have no problem finding these on the new or used market for some time.

Photo Comments
11 years 5 months ago #259563 by effron
They will be available because they're not a very versatile light. I had one because it was cheap, but sold it soon enough. I have a SB600 that I bought years ago, new for about $160.00 that does it all. YMMV.... ;)

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
11 years 5 months ago #259565 by Screamin Scott
I'd consider one for my Sigma DP2s if they were inexpensive enough. The onboard flash on that camera is lacking in power & even the SB400 would be an improvement.Then again, the pin configuration is different & I'd have to fiddle with it in order to get it to work...

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024