Nikon Camera Review: Nikon D600 vs D7000 - Should You Upgrade to FX?

11 years 5 months ago - 11 years 5 months ago #260875 by PhotographyTalk
The folks with DigitalRev bring to you a entertaining hands on comparison between the Nikon D600 and the Nikon D7000 . Is the D600 a good buy over the D7000?

Enjoy:

Nikon D600 Features
Click HERE for complete details on Nikon D600 camera
  • Nikon's most compact FX-format HD-SLR. Optimized for FX-format quality and versatility; streamlined for compactness and ease-of-use.
  • Newly developed 24.3 MP FX-format CMOS sensor delivers endless resolution and sharpness across a wide range of lighting situations.
  • Ultra-fast EXPEED 3 image processing, Nikon's original comprehensive processing concept, achieves unrivaled high-speed performance and accuracy.
  • Noise-free shooting from ISO 100 to 6400, expandable down to 50 and up to 25,600 for extreme lighting situations.
  • Intelligent Scene Recognition System with 3D Color Matrix Metering II, Nikon's innovative onboard metering system, uses a high-performance 2,016-pixel RGB sensor for consistently beautiful results.
  • Ultra fast performance 5.5 fps continuous shooting, fast power-up (just 0.13 sec) and minimal shutter release lag (~0.052 sec).
  • Superior 39-point AF system with 9 cross-type sensors and seven center points that work with an extended selection of teleconverters and long-reach lenses plus contrast-detect AF for fulltime AF during Live View shooting.
  • Cinema-quality Full HD (1080p) video recording with MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 compression, selectable frame rates, manual exposure control, fulltime AF with face-priority and subject tracking, dedicatedstereo mic and headphone inputs, ultrasmooth 60p slow motion, time lapse shooting and much more.
  • Share your best D600 images anytime, anywhere with the optional WU-1b Wireless Mobile Adapter. Wirelessly transfer photos to your smartphone, tablet or any compatible Wi-Fi enabled device, then upload your shots to the web or email them to a friend. With the WU-1b you can remotely control the D600 and see what the camera sees from your smartphone
  • WU-1b you can remotely control the D600 see what the camera sees from your smartphone or tablet and fire off shots!
  • Compatible with all NIKKOR lenses, FX- and DX-formats alike, for maximum creativity.

Nikon D7000 Features
Click HERE for full details on Nikon D7000
  • High Resolution 16.2 MP DX-format CMOS sensor for large prints and tight cropping
  • Breathtaking Full 1080p HD Movies with Full Time Autofocus and external stereo microphone jack to record cinematic-quality movies up to 20 minutes all enhanced by NIKKOR interchangeable lens quality and versatility
  • High Speed 6 frames per second continuous shooting up to 100 shots captures the most fleeting action
  • Dynamic ISO range from 100 to 6400 expandable to 25,600 (Hi2) lets you shoot in near darkness or slow down the action
  • Ground-breaking 2,016-pixel RGB (3D Color Matrix) sensor delivers more accurate control of light metering and optimizes the Scene Recognition System for exposure, white balance, focus tracking and iTTL flash control
  • Customizable 39 point AF System includes nine center cross-type sensors that operate with every AF NIKKOR lens so you can focus on making great images
  • EXPEED 2 image processing and 14-bit A/D Conversion provides smooth tones, rich colors, and fast camera performance
  • Compact but durable with magnesium-alloy top and rear covers, superior weather and dust seals and a 150,000 cycle-rated shutter system providing reliable operation
  • Large Bright Glass Pentaprism Optical Viewfinder with approx. 100% frame coverage and approx. 0.94x magnification
  • 3 Inch, 921,000-dot Super-Density LCD Monitor with 170 degree viewing delivers bright, crisp image playback, and precise Live View and Movie shooting
  • Twin SD Card Slots with SD, SDHC, SDXC memory card compatibility gives you options to keep on shooting or separate your NEF (RAW), JPEG and movie files
  • Built-in Speedlight flash with i-TTL and Wireless Commander support so you can light your subjects any way you like
  • Compact EN-EL15 Battery lets you shoot up to 1050 shots
  • Optional MB-D11 multi-power pack doubles your shooting time and battery choices while adding a vertical shutter-release and control dials to your camera
  • Built-in HDMI Connection lets you connect your camera right to your HDTV and playback with most HDTV remote controls
  • Two User Definable Settings (U1, U2) right on the Mode Selector Dial let you store most camera settings so you can go back to them at anytime without the need for further adjustments or menu settings
  • Active D-Lighting restores picture-enhancing detail in shadows and highlights
  • Picture Control lets you choose from Standard, Neutral, Vivid, Monochrome, Portrait, or Landscape to apply a personal look and feel to your pictures
  • Versatile Scene Modes lets you choose from Portrait, Landscape, Child, Sports, Close-up or Night Portrait for stunning results in otherwise challenging conditions
  • Virtual Horizon Graphic Indicator

Attachments:
11 years 5 months ago #260932 by Fishtaco
:judge:

Photo Comments
11 years 5 months ago #260933 by robbie
I shoot wildlife so if Nikon or those guys gonna give me a 500mm prime with the D600 and take my D7000,SURE WILL with a BIG :thx: !!LOL!

11 years 5 months ago #260991 by effron
I own a D7000, and D700. The D600 doesn't offer me enough improvements to upgrade either of my bodies. I am already invested in both formats, and will continue to use both. The D400 will probably be my DX upgrade, and for now if I wanted to replace my D700, it would be the D800, not the D600..... B)

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
11 years 5 months ago #261061 by Photo Mojo
D600 is nice, but a D800 would be better :drool:

Photo Comments
11 years 5 months ago #261415 by Tim Kelley
Good review, I'd be happy with a D600 from Santa

Photo Comments
11 years 5 months ago #261426 by Stealthy Ninja
D800 is better. The guy who bought my D800e bought a D600 and wanted to upgrade to something decent.

That said, I'd take a D600 over a D7000 any day. I didn't really like the D7000. Too small and the AF system isn't that good. They put the same AF system in the D600 and the AF points are all in the centre (which sucks)... but the D600 is an FX body and FF is where it's at daddio.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024