I just photographed an entire event at 6400 and wow!

11 years 5 months ago #263558 by blinden
For those of you wondering about useable ISO on some of the new Nikons I thought I would share my experience. I photograph music events for large clients and usually shoot at ISO 1600 as a max with a 3 year old Nikon.

For the event I just photographed last weekend I rented a D600 so I could pump the ISO a bit and ended up shooting the whole thing at 6400. Call me impressed, I was able to shoot with an average shutter speed of 1/400th at f5.6 and I'm normally only able to get about 1/125th at ISO 1600 which can result in some blurry stuff since the artists move around a lot. At 1/400th my images are sharp as hell even when they were running around and noise isn't bad either, even at 1/1.

My contract prevents me from posting images but lets just say I am now ready to sell my old gear to get something from the current generation IMHO it's very much worth it.

:) Bryan

--
Bryan Linden
[email protected]
www.FinestraArt.com
www.facebook.com/FinestraArt

www.lindenphoto.net
[img]images/stories/finestraart_signature.jpg

11 years 5 months ago #263577 by Joves
Yeah the new cameras are pretty amazing. I thought, and still think my D300 is. Coming from film when speeds above 400 were rare, unless you pushed the 400 film, pretty much grainy/noisy. This is why every time I hear someone say how noisy an image is at 1600+ I have to laugh at them. Even the noise on the shots that have them are not so egregious. Glad to hear you had fun with it. So which will you get the D600 or the D800?

11 years 5 months ago #263581 by blinden
I'll probably get the D600. I can't think of any must haves that the D800 offers and I like to go with as light a body as possible with the best glass I can get because I often go hours without a chance to set my camera down and they all get heavy after a bit.

I never did try the D300 and heard it was good. I have a D200 and didn't use it much because of strong noise. We are all totally spoiled now with the equipment that is out no matter the mfgr.

--
Bryan Linden
[email protected]
www.FinestraArt.com
www.facebook.com/FinestraArt

www.lindenphoto.net
[img]images/stories/finestraart_signature.jpg

11 years 5 months ago #263646 by effron
Spoiled might be an understatement. I went from a D300 to the D700, and was quite frankly blown away at the high ISO, low light capabilities the latter was capable of. I am going to upgrade a camera next year, depending on what Nikon offers in the way of a D300 replacement, a D400? My D700 is still doing great for my requirements. I'm happy with my D7000, but I miss the control layout and general feel of the D300, so that might be where I make changes....... :unsure:

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
11 years 5 months ago - 11 years 5 months ago #263858 by Stealthy Ninja

blinden wrote: I'll probably get the D600. I can't think of any must haves that the D800 offers and I like to go with as light a body as possible with the best glass I can get because I often go hours without a chance to set my camera down and they all get heavy after a bit.

The D800 has a better AF system without all the AF points bunched in the centre. The D600's AF system is very similar to the D7000's (which I owned for a while). Trust me it's not 1/2 as good as the D800's. Also the max shutter speed is 1/8000 (not 1/4000). The D600 sheds dust particles from the shutter too. Causing dust to build up on the sensor really fast.

The D800 is a better camera is many ways (trust me I had a D800 and a D800e at the same time). I'd guess it would match or better the D600 in high iso too (when you resize the D800 files down to the same size as the D600 files).

As for high ISO.... I have a 1Dx bro. You want to talk high ISO?! :p

Still go check out this video:

I'm watching it myself now. Maybe I'm wrong. ;)
11 years 4 months ago - 11 years 4 months ago #264863 by djohnson45
I have a D4. Shot the first frame with it Aug.1, It now has over 8500 clicks. I did a night Christmas Parade Fri. night at ISO 8000. Shot some with flash but some with Available darkness. Found a good street light for lighting. Was really impressed with the results, not supprised as I have been using it and had done some stuff at 8000 before.

A friend and I didn't another nighttime gig. He has a D600. We both got some great stuff.

The attached was shot at 1/100 of a sec. Cropped and color corrected with Photoshop CS6

Attachments:

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024