Nikon Lens Review: Nikon Holy Trinity of Lenses

11 years 4 months ago - 11 years 3 weeks ago #264169 by PhotographyTalk
Here's a great clip from "thatnikonguy" where he gives a run down of the "Nikon Holy Trinity of Lenses" which includes the 14-24mm , 24-70mm and the 70-200mm f/2.8 lens . He covers a couple additional lenses including the 50mm f/1.4 and the 85mm f/1.4 too!

Enjoy:
Nikon D600 | Nikon D7100 | Nikon D800 | Canon 5D Mark III | Canon EOS-1D X

Related Items: Recommended Reading:

[/ul]Nikon 70-200mm Features
  • Nikon VR II (Vibration Reduction) image stabilization Vibration Reduction, engineered specifically for each VR NIKKOR lens, enables handheld shooting at up to 4 shutter speeds slower than would otherwise be possible, assuring dramatically sharper ima
  • 7 Extra-low Dispersion (ED) elements Offers superior sharpness and color correction by effectively minimizing chromatic aberration, even at the widest aperture settings.
  • Nano Crystal Coat Further reduces ghosting and flare for even greater image clarity.
  • Nikon Super Integrated Coating (SIC) Enhances light transmission and offers superior color consistency and reduced flare.
  • Exclusive Nikon Silent Wave Motor (SWM) Enables fast, accurate, and quiet autofocus.
  • Rounded 9-blade diaphragm Renders more natural appearance of out-of-focus image elements.
  • Internal Focus (IF) Provides fast and quiet autofocus without changing the length of the lens, retaining subjectworking distance through the focus range.
  • Focuses to 4.6 feet Close focusing provided throughout the entire zoom range for extended versatility.
  • M/A focus mode switch Enables quick response to changing situations between manual and autofocus operation.
  • Flower-shaped lens hood Included HB-48 lens hood shades the objective from unwanted, image-degrading light.

Nikon 14-24mm Features
  • Fast, ultra wide-angle AF-S zoom lens optimized for edge-to-edge sharpness on both the Nikon FX (23.9 x 36mm) and DX format image sensors.
  • Enhanced optical formulas, engineered to produce exceptional sharpness, contrast and color, rendering outstanding image integrity.
  • Two ED (Extra-low Dispersion) elements and PGM aspherical lenses control chromatic aberrations, while enhancing sharpness and contrast, even at the widest aperture settings.
  • Exclusive Nano Crystal Coat further reduces ghosting and flare for even greater image clarity.
  • Nikon's Silent Wave Motor (SWM) enables ultra high-speed autofocusing with exceptional accuracy and powerful, super-quiet operation.
  • Internal Focus (IF) provides fast and quiet autofocusing without changing the length of the lens, retaining subject-working distance through the focus range.
  • Focus as close as 10.8 inches at the 24mm setting.
  • Rugged construction and professional-grade dust and moisture resistance.
  • M/A Focus Mode switch enables quick response to changing situations between Auto and Manual focus operation

[/ul]Nikon 24-70mm Features

• Fast, wide-angle to medium telephoto AF-S zoom lens optimized for edge-to-edge sharpness on both the Nikon FX (23.9 x 36mm) and DX format image sensors.
  • Enhanced optical formulas, engineered to produce exceptional sharpness, contrast and color, rendering outstanding image integrity.
  • Two ED (Extra-low Dispersion) elements and PGM aspherical lenses control chromatic aberrations while enhancing sharpness and contrast, even at the widest aperture settings.
  • Exclusive Nano Crystal Coat further reduces ghosting and flare for even greater image clarity.
  • Nikon's Silent Wave Motor (SWM) enables ultra high-speed autofocusing with exceptional accuracy and powerful, super-quiet operation.
  • Internal Focus (IF) provides fast and quiet auto focusing without changing the length of the lens, retaining subject-working distance through the focus range.
  • Focus as close as 14.9 inches.
  • Rugged construction and professional-grade dust and moisture resistance.
  • M/A Focus Mode switch enables quick response to changing situations between Auto and Manual focus operation.

Nikon 50mm F/1.4 Features
  • Fast f/1.4 prime NIKKOR lens - Perfect for low-light conditions, portrait and travel photography
  • Normal angle of view on FX-format cameras - Classic, normal angle of view when used on a Nikon FX-format digital SLR or 35mm film camera
  • Ideal portrait lens on DX-format cameras - An ideal portrait lens when used on a Nikon DX-format digital SLR, approximating the angle of view similar to that of a 75mm lens on a Nikon FX-format digital SLR or a 35mm film camera
  • Exclusive Nikon Silent Wave Motor (SWM) - Enables fast, accurate, and quiet autofocus
  • Close focusing to 1.5 feet - For extended versatility
  • Rounded 9-blade diaphragm - Renders more natural appearance of out-of-focus image elements

Nikon 85mm F/1.4 Features
  • Ultra-fast classic portrait lens High performance FX-format f/1.4 medium-telephoto lens is perfect for portraits,low-light applications offering beautiful Bokeh (background blur) and outstanding picture quality.
  • Nano Crystal Coat Use of Nano Crystal Coat further reduces ghosting and interior flare across a wide range of wavelengths for even greater image clarity.
  • Optimized for edge to edge sharpness on both FX and DX-format D-SLRs DX-format D-SLR the angle of view is equivalent to a focal length of 127.5mm in FX/35mm format
  • M/A Focus Mode Switch Enables quick changes between manual and autofocus operation.
  • Internal Focus (IF) Provides fast and quiet autofocus without changing the length of the lens, retaining working distance throughout the focus range.
  • Exclusive Nikon Silent Wave Motor (SWM) Enables fast, accurate and quiet autofocus.
  • Nikon Super Integrated Coating (SIC) Enhances light transmission efficiency and offers superior color consistency and reduced flare
  • Rounded 9-Blade Diaphragm Renders a more natural appearance to out-of-focus image elements.

11 years 4 months ago - 11 years 4 months ago #264218 by Stealthy Ninja
I prefer the term "Nikon Triplicate" which is a term I made up, since there's only one HOLY trinity and lenses are far from that. ;) Also, this isn't a trinity by definition.

When will Canon make a 14-24 I wonder?!

Anyway, I plan to get the Canon 8-15 fisheye instead of a retilinear wide angle. The 14-24 is awesome, but when I go beyond 24mm I want to go as wide as possible and don't care about distortion. Then again the Samyang 14mm is really cheap, readily available in HK and apparently REALLY good when it comes to IQ. The problem is that mechanically it's a bit dodgy.

When I owned the 14-24 I found I didn't use it that much and when I did I just wanted something super duper wide. So fisheye seems to make sense to me. :)

I owned the Nikon Triplicate before. The 24-70 is quite sharp, the 70-200 is amazingly sharp. The 14-24 is amazing for times when you need it. There really isn't a lens like it.
11 years 4 months ago #264246 by effron
Yeah, I didn't like Trinity either, and have referred to them as the "Trifecta", which is MY term...... :P

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
11 years 4 months ago - 11 years 4 months ago #264384 by Stealthy Ninja

effron wrote: Yeah, I didn't like Trinity either, and have referred to them as the "Trifecta", which is MY term...... :P

That works too. But IMHO it's really a photo-finish between the 3 (you see what I did there?!) ;)

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024