Nikon P510 Advice Please.

11 years 2 months ago #274340 by Dexter1759
Hi All,

First a little back ground, I love taking photos of things but am far from even being an amateur photographer. I Like travelling to places and went to Las Vegas towards the end of last year. Annoyingly, I felt I missed out on many great photos due to lack of decent equipment. I currently use a Kodak Playsport and an Olympus point and shoot.

Whilst I could often get decent photos in the day, any photo and video I shot at night was naturally rubbish, due to the harsh contrast of low light/bright lights.

So I'm looking at buying a Nikon P510, it's currently ~£240, and this is about the most I can justify spending on a camera.

I've read plenty of reviews and opinions and think this camera offers the best value for the money I'm willing to pay.

But there's a few questions I can't seem to find answers too and thought I'd sign up here and see if anyone can help. Especially, since I'm re-visiting Las Vegas and visiting New York for the first time later this year, I want to make sure I get the right camera for me and know how to use it!

1 - Presumably, this camera will be fully capable of shooting decent/good photos of well light cities/cityscapes?
2 - I am looking at getting a Gorillapod however it's not clear which one I can get that will support the P510. I've seen websites claiming the Original (GP1?) will be fine. However, the max weight for the GP1 is supposed to be 200-something grams, and the P510 weights 500+ grams. Does anyone have any experience with these?
3 - Does anyone have any (free ideally) recommended reading for photography beginners?

Many thanks for any help/advice in advance.
Dex

11 years 2 months ago #274353 by garyrhook

Dexter1759 wrote: 1 - Presumably, this camera will be fully capable of shooting decent/good photos of well light cities/cityscapes?
2 - I am looking at getting a Gorillapod however it's not clear which one I can get that will support the P510. I've seen websites claiming the Original (GP1?) will be fine. However, the max weight for the GP1 is supposed to be 200-something grams, and the P510 weights 500+ grams. Does anyone have any experience with these?
3 - Does anyone have any (free ideally) recommended reading for photography beginners?

1) Hard to say, as I don't own one. And it's not the camera, it's the photographer. That model looks to have some flexibility allowing for growth, which seems a reasonable entry point for a new photographer.

2) I wouldn't risk it. The specs on the GP1 say 362 grams, but the P510's 550 grams is quite a bit more than that.

3) There is tons of free material on this site, as well as on the interweb. Figure out your starting point (exposure, aperture, focus, composition, etc) and google for tutorials on that subject. It's unlikely you'll find a free book, but it may be more beneficial to locate information on a specific area as you progress.

Photo Comments
11 years 2 months ago #274373 by Rob pix4u2
Dex welcome to the site. I own a P510 and love the camera. it has quite a bit of low light capability as you will see from my examples. It has a wide array of features and user friendly settings for 99% of your shooting situations.
Daylight

Dusk

Night with fireworks

Indooors

As you can see it has a lot that it can do well and will allow your growth as a photographer so it should serve you well in Las Vegas and New York.

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

11 years 2 months ago - 11 years 2 months ago #274378 by hghlndr6
I used the P510 exclusively for about 8 months last year. So this ... www.flickr.com/photos/bobmitchellphoto/ ... could be considered a P510 portfolio. ;)

It's a good, versatile, little camera. You can do a lot with it. It does have its limitations.
a) The lens won't accept a filter. Only a problem when you would really like to use a polarizer or ND.
b) It won't go slower than 8 seconds. So for night shots you pretty much have to use its "night landscape" scene mode. That feature works very well but, still, there are some types of night shots that you just cannot do.
c) It's a really tiny sensor so you're not going to get really sharp (large) images if you have to crop severely. The other side of that coin is that the tiny sensor gets you that great zoom reach so maybe you can frame the shot to avoid severe cropping.
d) Since you're always using either the EVF or the LCD, it's always draining juice. Four hours or 150-160 shots is the most I got from a charge. Always carry at least one spare battery.

1) Check my "Boston" set on flickr. There's a mix of day & night shots there. You judge.

2) It's too heavy for the original Gorillapod.

3) What Gary said
11 years 2 months ago #274387 by KCook

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

11 years 2 months ago #274404 by Dexter1759
Wow thanks for the advice/links/photos. Much appreciated.

I forgot to say one of the things that appeals to me is the long zoom lens, and 1080p video recording, so the P71000 and XZ-1 are ruled out.

Some of the photos above are amazing, I didn't realise the P510 would manage shots as good as some of them.

11 years 2 months ago #275317 by Dexter1759
All,

Thanks again for your help. After much, much reading I've just ordered my P510, case and 32GB SD card. I'm sure I'll be taking and sharing lots of photos.

Quite excited, this is my first "proper/grown-up" camera, only ever had compact point and shoots before.

Dex

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024