Nikon or a Canon

13 years 7 months ago #2567 by Breyer
I have narrowed my camera selection down to two cameras. The choices are a Nikon D90 or a Canon 50d. If you have either one of these cameras can you give me a little input? I am really having a hard time deciding which one to get. Thanks

13 years 7 months ago #2629 by bluesky
I really think you would like the nikon d90 better. It has a great shutter and also is 12.3 megapixels. What is the deciding factor between the two, what is making you lean towards one versus the other?

13 years 7 months ago #2664 by DavidNM
It's kind of like Boxers or Briefs!

13 years 7 months ago #2666 by Weston

DavidNM wrote: It's kind of like Boxers or Briefs!

LOL

Mac or PC?

I have a Nikon D300 so my opinion is bias :)

13 years 7 months ago #2673 by nikonshooter
It's obvious what I'd say. I prefer Nikon's color set much better than Canon's.
Go and get that D90!:lol:

13 years 7 months ago #2689 by DavidNM
for what it's worth I shoot with a D300 also. I have a D40 as a backup and my previous camera was a D70S. Up to this point I have found the lenses and camera hardware and software flawless.

But obviously I haven't had too much experience with Canon. But remember - once you purchase a camera and some lenses - making the shift to another brand is costly - not only in equipment, but in books, training videos, peripheral equipment, etc.

13 years 7 months ago #2704 by wizardofoz
I agree I think the D90 is a great camera. But before you purchase it just make sure that nikon is the brand for you, like the previous poster said it can be costly to change later. Let us know which camer you decide to get. ;)

13 years 3 weeks ago #47194 by jjharr1
Spend some time on Ken Rockwell's site. He does a great comparison on the 2 manufacturer's lenses. For my money, it's all about the glass out front. BTW, I'm a Nikon kind-of-guy.

13 years 3 weeks ago #47217 by chasrich
I have a Canon 60D does that count?

Both cameras have terrific features and gear. Prices are also very close - or at least close enough to not make a difference in choice. Do you have a friend that can mentor you? If so go with their brand so you can borrow stuff... :rofl:

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
13 years 3 weeks ago #47334 by effron
Yeah, I'm a Nikonian, but you need to go to a store, and handle both. It will come down to feel and handling, because both companies make top notch stuff. Choose, then learn to use it......;)

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
13 years 3 days ago - 12 years 11 months ago #56125 by Stealthy Ninja

jjharr1 wrote: Spend some time on Ken Rockwell's site. He does a great comparison on the 2 manufacturer's lenses. For my money, it's all about the glass out front. BTW, I'm a Nikon kind-of-guy.

Then you could go onto a site where the guy doesn't post BS half the time.
:whistle:
12 years 11 months ago #68035 by mathewsr
I:duel: I have a D3100 Nikon and I like it a lot.iI also shot with a D90 Nikon that I liked just as well. I am going to try a D7000 next.But for the money I believe I would go with a D3100

12 years 11 months ago - 12 years 11 months ago #68861 by Stealthy Ninja
Just to answer the question seriously.

I've shot with both and I think both make good/great lenses.

When it comes to bodies here's what I think (Canon bodies on the left, Nikon on the right)

1000D > 3100D
600D > 5100D
60D < D7000
7D = D7000 (unless you want video, then the 7D is slightly better)
5DII = D700 (D700 has better AF but the 5DII has better video and more MP, so it depends)
1DIV < D3s (I've owned/own both of these cameras)
1DsIII < D3x

< = is worse than
> = is better than
= = =

Canon do video better than Nikon. Nikon have better noise control than Canon. Canon have more MP than Nikon (usually), Nikon have better AF than Canon (in most cases).
12 years 11 months ago #68865 by Stealthy Ninja

mathewsr wrote: I:duel: I have a D3100 Nikon and I like it a lot.iI also shot with a D90 Nikon that I liked just as well. I am going to try a D7000 next.But for the money I believe I would go with a D3100

D7000 has better AF and Video than the D3100.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024