Nikon Z7 shoot true 4K video?

1 week 3 hours ago #635146 by Chester Foster
I currently have the Panasonic GH5 and originally was after the Canon EOS R, but when it was released, I found the specs to be a little lean if you know what I mean.  So this had me looking at the Nikon Z series next.  What I'm after is something that shoots true 4k with out any crazy crop (Canon EOS R for example has 1.8x for 4k).  Now from what I can see, the Z7 shoots 4k30p while the Z6 is able to shoot 3K30p video, and 120fps/1080p. 

Can the Z7 shoot 120fps?  

Chester

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

6 days 19 hours ago - 6 days 19 hours ago #635159 by garyrhook

Chester Foster wrote: I currently have the Panasonic GH5 and originally was after the Canon EOS R, but when it was released, I found the specs to be a little lean if you know what I mean.

Um, no, I don't know what you mean.

So this had me looking at the Nikon Z series next.  What I'm after is something that shoots true 4k with out any crazy crop (Canon EOS R for example has 1.8x for 4k).  Now from what I can see, the Z7 shoots 4k30p while the Z6 is able to shoot 3K30p video, and 120fps/1080p. 

Can the Z7 shoot 120fps?

The Z7 manual is available online at nikonusa.com and provides all of that information. Options include 4k at 30 fps, or HD at 120fps. No one does 4k at 120fps, AFAIK, in a DSLR-type camera (yet). You'll need a dedicated system for that, as the speed requirements for the storage are very high.

I'm not sure why anyone at Canon thought that a cropped image area for video was acceptable, but Nikon operates like Pany: 16x9 out of the entire sensor.

Photo Comments

6 days 18 hours ago #635179 by Chester Foster
Well lean might have been a little strong wording to use.   So let me correct this and say it feel short of expectations.   Hopefully the next R will have IBIS and they do something with that video crop thing going on.

Thank you on the other details as well.  I was hoping to see some user comments with this as well.   First hand knowledge.  

6 days 16 hours ago #635235 by Troponin

Chester Foster wrote: Well lean might have been a little strong wording to use.   So let me correct this and say it feel short of expectations.   Hopefully the next R will have IBIS and they do something with that video crop thing going on.

Thank you on the other details as well.  I was hoping to see some user comments with this as well.   First hand knowledge.  

atm, I record at 120fps at 1080i. It’s surprisingly good and feel it’s smoother. I also use this because the slow motion is butter smooth.  4K looks alright at 30fps,  but you will notice the difference in anything below 60 frames per second.  Generally speaking, It’s much more difficult for the human eye to see anything over 60 frames per second versus under 60 frames per second. This is why 60 frames per second is very important

Photo Comments

5 days 18 hours ago #635389 by Street Shark

Troponin wrote:

Chester Foster wrote: Well lean might have been a little strong wording to use.   So let me correct this and say it feel short of expectations.   Hopefully the next R will have IBIS and they do something with that video crop thing going on.

atm, I record at 120fps at 1080i. It’s surprisingly good and feel it’s smoother. I also use this because the slow motion is butter smooth.  4K looks alright at 30fps,  but you will notice the difference in anything below 60 frames per second.  Generally speaking, It’s much more difficult for the human eye to see anything over 60 frames per second versus under 60 frames per second. This is why 60 frames per second is very important

Do you have the Z6 or Z7?

Photo Comments

5 days 8 hours ago #635442 by Troponin

Street Shark wrote:

Troponin wrote:

Do you have the Z6 or Z7?

No. I was speaking in general because it will apply to the Z as well. I was simply pointing out that the alternative to 4K is still extremely good. Hopefully that helps you make it decision if that’s the case.

i have an a7rIII with the same capabilities. 

Photo Comments

1.62M

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Recommended Gear

Forum Top Posters