Lens Recommendation For Portraits Nikon D3500

4 years 11 months ago #643371 by LinearA
Hello,
I'm new here. I just came into 330 bucks, and I want to get a good portrait lens. I know that my camera has a cropped sensor, so I'm not sure that the general advice I am finding is applicable (80mm 1.8)
Given my budget and equipment, what would you go with for portraits? I think I could comfortably go to 500 if the quality is worth the investment. Everyone always says that glass is the most important thing to invest in if you plan on getting into photography. 
I appreciate!  

The package that I just purchased:
  • Nikon D3500 DX-Format DSLR Camera with AF-P 18-55mm VR and 70-300mm Lenses
  • Nikon DSLR Value Pack Travel Case and Online Class
  • Focus FC-3000 Digital Slave Flash
  • 55mm UV/CPL/ND Filter Kit
  • Focus 55mm 2-Piece Wide & Tele Lens Set
  • SanDisk 64GB Ultra UHS-I Class 10 SDXC Memory Card
  • Corel Deluxe Photo Software Kit

4 years 11 months ago #643403 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day mate

As a beginner, the last thing I would suggest to you is to buy more equipment - esp stuff that will not be used for > 50% of your regular shooting. As to "a portrait lens" then comes the 1001 imponderables :)

Indoors or outdoors? ... formal or informal? ... commercial or pleasure? etcetera

I task my students with a simple exercise re: portraiture ... one pic, head-to-waist style, camera horizontal at 35mm then a second pic, simliar posing at 55mm then a 3rd at 100mm anf finally another at 135mm and compare the differences. It means that they have to back off distance-wise as the lens increases, but they soon get the hang of it. Upon reviewing the results I get them to look at facial structure, DoF, background bokeh and several other things

I invite you to do the same soon with your current lenses before you spend any more money

Hope this helps
Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

The following user(s) said Thank You: LinearA
4 years 11 months ago #643418 by LinearA
Thanks Ozzie. I initially was set to just learn what I was doing with my current gear, but I got that unexpected money and started overthinking things. I think I will keep it simple and add gear as my need increases. I will definitely try the exercise that you recommended 

4 years 11 months ago #643462 by garyrhook
For portraits, longer is better. For background separation, faster is better.

You might consider the Nikon 85 mm f/1.8 lens, which you should be able to find new for $425 (B&H). Used, even less. The only downside is that, if its focus doesn't cooperate with your camera, you can't micro-adjust that camera. You'd have to have it serviced.

(Every lens/body combination is subject to focus abnormalities...)

I bought that lens to use with my D5100, and couldn't get correct focus when wide open. f/2.8 or tighter was not a problem, but wide open, not so much.

You could also look at a Tamron 90mm macro lens and stick to f/2.8 for your portraits. Nothing wrong with that, if set up good geometry.

Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #644762 by Emilie-Smith
I would recommend shooting with what you have until you have a better idea of what your personal needs are. While just kit lenses, you have a great variety to start with. Figuring out the types of shots you want to capture and the shooting conditions you typically experience will help.

If you really want a place to invest your money in, I'd recommend getting a reflector. They provide an easy way to learn light. 

4 years 11 months ago - 4 years 11 months ago #644845 by LinearA
Thanks for the advice Gary.. I think my next lens will be something in that range. I did end up buying a relatively cheap Nikon 50mm 1.8 lens, and it definitely produces the depth of field difference/ blur that I was looking for. I am going to stick with this and just learn now. 

Emilie, I am actually reading a lot about good lighting and becoming really interested. My next investments will definitely be lighting related. 

Here's a pic I took with the new lens.. admittedly, I don't know what I'm doing yet, but it shows the capabilities.

Make: NIKON CORPORATION
Model: NIKON D3500
ISO: 2500
Aperture: f/1.8
Shutter speed: 1/250 sec
Captured: Thu, 16 May 2019 16:55pm

Attachments:
4 years 11 months ago #644928 by garyrhook
Good focus, good composition.  A bit underexposed, which could be addressed with some post.

Good start.

Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #644957 by LinearA
Thanks for the feedback Gary. Looking forward to the journey

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024