What Would be the best lens for sporting events?

13 years 6 months ago #3456 by Nikongirl34
I want to try and get into sporting photography, I'm already taking my digital camera to my friend's football games and wanted to try and use my D80. I dont have any special lenses for it yet, just what came with the camera. What lens do you guys suggest for outdoor sports?

13 years 6 months ago #3468 by Vladimir
Depending on your budget will determine what you can get. However I would suggest something with a low f stop. 70-200mm is a pretty good lens, but you also looking at $2000.

Photo Comments
13 years 6 months ago #3512 by Travel Nut
2nd vote for 70-200mm f2.8 VRII

*This will be a very fast lens for you.

13 years 6 months ago #3966 by Sierra Hotel
For hobby photography, I second the recommendations for the 70-200mm f/2.8 - I wouldn't rule out the VRI as it's available used for less than $1500 (I'm a HUGE believer in buying good used glass).

With a D80 for outside sports and it were my money, I'd start with the 70-200 as you won't outgrow the capabilities of that lens as you progress with your sports shooting, it works well with the Nikkor 1.4 and 1.7 TC's, and oh yeah, it's a great all-around lens for everything else too! For anything else longer, look at the 300mm f/4 AF-S - it does great work too.

For serious shooting, you're looking at big $$, because you'll need at least a 300mm f/2.8 ($3-5,000) with a couple of TC's (~$400 each), as a minimum, with the 200-400 f/4 (~$5,000), 400mm f/2.8 (~$7,000)and 600mm f/4 ($$$$$$$$) being the best of the best of the best, SIR! Of course, those are all Nikon offerings, I'd also look at the Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8, which has a reputation for being top notch if you get a good copy.

13 years 6 months ago #4029 by Roverrich
All depends what sports you are shooting and what your access to the sidelines etc will be. I agree that the 70-200 VRII is a solid choice if you are serious and have the cash to spend. On your D80 the 200mm will be more like 320mm with the magnification factor. Plus for more reach the new TC (can't remember the number) works great. Also remember that not only do you need a fast lens ie: f2.8 but a fast focusing lens is important. This is exactly what the 70-200 VRII is. The 55-200 VR is another really sweat lens for the price, but to get the shutter speed to stop action, you will need a higher ISO and therefore will end up with more noise/grain. Focusing won't be that fast, but it won't break the bank if sports turns out not to be to your liking. If you are really far away eg: baseball in the upper deck, then you need more reach. The 80-400mm VR has more reach, but is a dog in the focus department but probably ok for baseball, but not soccer or football.

I shoot lots of soccer games of my kids and a few basketball games. The 70-200 is perfect for the soccer games as I have sideline access. For basketball, the lighting is really hard and the access not that great. The 70-200 is too much lens for our community's gym and I haven't figured out what the perfect focal length to be. I am leaning towards a fast 35 -50mm and shooting directly behind the basket.

Hope this helps you out!

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024