D70 owners... have you thought about upgrading to newer?

13 years 6 months ago #4947 by Augustin
My D70 seems to be doing the job. But sometimes temptation get's to me when I see something new released from Nikon. Have you thought about upgrading to something newer? If you have what did you look at?

Personally I have considered a few different camera's. The D90 and D300 seem to be right up there. I have even had some friends with Canons present a good argument on moving to a Canon, although I believe I will stick with Nikon, just because I know how to use this camera already.

Photo Comments
13 years 6 months ago #4952 by Screamin Scott
I can never seem to get enough funds saved up. Every time I get close, something comes along & drains the "Fund"...I would like to get a D700 although the D7000 looks interesting as well. I wouldn't change brands as I am well invested in Nikon with over 75 AF & MF lenses

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: McBeth Photography
13 years 6 months ago #5097 by effron
I moved from a D70s to a D700 a year and a half ago. Best move I could have made. Improvement in every area big time.
I kept the D70s and had it converted for IR.....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
13 years 6 months ago #5099 by The Gardener

Screamin Scott wrote: I can never seem to get enough funds saved up. Every time I get close, something comes along & drains the "Fund"...I would like to get a D700 although the D7000 looks interesting as well. I wouldn't change brands as I am well invested in Nikon with over 75 AF & MF lenses

75 lenses? My goodness, what in the world do you do with all of them? :huh: I would think 20 would be a lot of lenses to own. Good for you though!

Photo Comments
13 years 6 months ago #5109 by Screamin Scott
I have been doing photography over the course of some 40 years. Lot of time to amass that many lenses, bodies & whatnot. I still have most of my film cameras as well (Nikon, Minolta, Pentax, Konica & Yashica SLRs Then I still have TLR's & rangefinders too... There are some duplicate ranges covered & like cars, each lens has it's own unique look...I really do need the thin the "herd" though. I could likely afford a new digital body if I did.

Scott Ditzel Photography

Photo Comments
13 years 5 months ago #5684 by DavidNM
I shot with a D70S for the first couple of years I was into digital photography - then moved up to the D300. I've never been happier. I'm holding off moving to anything else until Nikon replaces the D300 with, hopefully, a similar model that is full frame.

13 years 5 months ago #7423 by Augustin
Decision, decision, decision. I'm not saying the D70 isn't a good camera, just in a camera store/candy story it gets tempting!

Photo Comments
13 years 4 months ago #7627 by Rob pix4u2
Just traded in my first digital slr D70s for my second D90 body. Moved up to the D90 and it was well worth it. The D70s served me well for the time i used it but the newer model works so much better for shooting hockey. Also don't have to carry two different batteries, memory cards etc. now that my primary and back-up are the same. I know a shooter who swears by his D70 still but i am very pleased with the upgrade

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

13 years 4 months ago #7684 by Augustin

Rob pix4u2 wrote: Just traded in my first digital slr D70s for my second D90 body. Moved up to the D90 and it was well worth it. The D70s served me well for the time i used it but the newer model works so much better for shooting hockey. Also don't have to carry two different batteries, memory cards etc. now that my primary and back-up are the same. I know a shooter who swears by his D70 still but i am very pleased with the upgrade

Now would you mind if I asked what made you buy the D90? I have looked at that camera also. But keep sliding eyes to the D300 now. My wallet likes the D90 best. If I buy the D300 or the D700, this will kill my photography budget for a little while. Down side with the D700 is I will need to get all new lenses. :blink:

Photo Comments
13 years 4 months ago #7687 by Screamin Scott
The D90 is due to be discontinued...Take a look at the D7000. You wouldn't have to buy new lenses with it...

Scott Ditzel Photography

Photo Comments
13 years 4 months ago #7689 by Augustin

Screamin Scott wrote: The D90 is due to be discontinued...Take a look at the D7000. You wouldn't have to buy new lenses with it...

Really?? The camera isn't that old? Thanks for the tip on the D7000. I'm opening up another browser to view it!

Photo Comments
13 years 4 months ago #7690 by Rob pix4u2
The D90 fit me well for two reasons , the first being cost and the second being that I could use my current selection of Nikon lenses. I don't mind using models that are discontinued if they fit into the category of use with current lenses as I don't want a whole new crop of glass and the expense of pro level lenses like a 300 f 4 and 80-200 f 2.8. The D90 does well for the work I use it for- shooting pro hockey for an online hockey magazine. At some point almost all of the bodies are outdated and replaced but still remain workhorses like my film bodies the FE 2 and the N90s. I still use a D80 as my take it everywhere camera too.

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

13 years 4 months ago #7694 by Augustin
Gotcha. Thanks for feedback Rob. All information is appreciated. Tough decision in front of me. Scott, I just looked at the D7000. Pretty nice camera indeed. Just making my decision harder now that there is another camera to pick from! :silly:

Photo Comments
13 years 4 months ago #7856 by Ziggy
That is exactly what I did. I have had a D70 for some time and just bought a new D300. Unfortunately I'm having problems with the D300 right out of the box.

Ziggy

Photo Comments
13 years 4 months ago #8196 by McBeth Photography
I guess the only camera body that interests me is the D7000 right now. Bang for the buck!

It is what it is.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024