I was given a nikon d40

13 years 1 week ago #52182 by Lisa JK
and it only came with one lens 18-55. I really don't know anything about photography, but I would like another lens. Anyone have any Ideas? Because I have no clue where to start haha.

13 years 1 week ago #52184 by williams35
Be a little more specific What you plan on shooting?
What do you use your camera for the most?

13 years 1 week ago #52185 by Lisa JK
Well I am just getting my hands wet, so I am shooting just about everything.

13 years 1 week ago #52186 by silverlining
Basically different lenses have different areas where they are best used at - a 50mm is much better as a portrait lens than a 500mm even though one could do portrait work with a 500mm.
I think you have to sit down and first work out what "everything" is - list it down and then start to work out where the main areas you shoot are.

13 years 1 week ago #52188 by williams35
:agree: Or, depending on your budget, you could shoot for the Nikon 18-200/ 18-200 VR and call it a day.

13 years 1 week ago #52189 by Lisa JK
the main areas I photograph are architecture, people, and close ups.

13 years 1 week ago #52190 by silverlining
For architecture you want a good wide angle lens - that is a short focal length.

For people can we clarifly - do you mean people as in portraits or in a more generalist sense - like walking about (street photography) and such?

For closeup you want a good macro prime lens - I would recomend either the Nikon 100mm micro VR or the Sigma 105mm macro

13 years 1 week ago #52192 by Lisa JK
Thank you that was a lot of help. I take portraits, but not professionally, just snapping family and friends.

13 years 1 week ago #52203 by chasrich
What do you have around you that interests you... Determine what your most likely subjects will be long term and get something that meets those needs. Don't be in a big hurry as you will find what you need through use.

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
13 years 1 week ago #53025 by Joves
Well my suggestion is to get two books Understanding Exposure and Understanding Composition by Bryan Petersen, I always tell new shooters to get those. Also read your owners manual to learn how to tweak your camera effectively. For now while starting out the kit lens will serve you pretty well till you know what you like to shoot and what you find you have a good eye for, sometimes people find they are great at landscapes but stink at portraits, or they find they are great a macro. When you are viewing your photos you will be able to tell. You can get good at shooting almost everything but, it takes patience and time. If you get really hooked the glass is king and depending on what you end up shooting most will decide what lenses will best serve you. Dont be tempted to upgrade bodies till you out grow the one you have first. Once you have hit the point where it is the camera limiting you it is time and not until then. This is the best advice I can give you.

13 years 1 week ago #53032 by Rob pix4u2
lenses are pretty specific to the material you shoot, for instance I shoot pro hockey all winter so I use telephoto and long zoom lenses primarily but have several wide angle zooms for landscapes. Nikon makes a 55-200mm zoom that will add to your range and give you some portrait capability

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

12 years 11 months ago #71357 by el_trotamundo
Hi Lisa,
Since you are a beginner, you only need to buy another lens IF you actually need it. If all your shots can be comfortably taken in the range of your kit lens, you DON'T need another lens. If you really need more zoom, get a 55-200mm zoom for when you need extra reach. If you need to take pictures in low light, get the 35mm f1.8 prime lens.

I have a D40 I've taken over 30,000 shots with. I only upgraded to a D90 when I was sure my abilities made the camera body a hindrance to making the images I wanted to make.

My philosophy is never buy anything until you are actually hindered in your growing capabilities by the lack of it. Learning your camera backwards and forwards, reading the manual multiple times and reading lots of photoblogs like Digital Photography School to increase your understanding of the basics of photography will make you a much better photographer than a new lens will.

“The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it.” – Ansel Adams

12 years 11 months ago #71373 by Cre8tivefix
Since you aren't getting any specific recommendations I'll throw one out there.
I would suggest a nifty 50mm. It's a prime, it's inexpensive, and it's very fast. Your current lens covers 50mm, but the 50 is awesome because it has such a large aperture.

Have Fun.

12 years 11 months ago #71619 by Henry Peach
The 18-55 it came with will cover a wide range of subjects and situations. Don't buy anything until you know why you need it. Spend your money going to cool places to take photos, and getting them printed and framed so you can hang them on your walls when you get back.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024