Lumix DMC-FZ70 won’t playback videos on camera screen

5 months 4 days ago #719834 by SkyeCrath
I am new to the forum and am hoping for some help. I’ve been using a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ70 for about 5 years now with no problems. But for the last few months I have not been able to playback video on the camera's LCD screen, which is something I used to do all the time. I noticed it a few months ago and the problem has been constant ever since. The video records fine, and it playbacks perfectly once I transfer the video file to my laptop. But when I try to playback the video file on the camera, it just shows up as a still image. I've tested a few different SD cards, different brands and sizes, but still no video playback on the camera screen. I haven't dropped the camera and there hasn't been any other sort of physical damage. I checked the camera Settings and Playback mode is turned On. I'm a very basic user, just modes iA, Automatic and  SCN. I don't intentionally mess with any of the advanced settings, but maybe I changed something accidentally? Or pressed a button I shouldn't have? I didn't realize how much I used this video playback feature until it stopped working,  Any advice would be appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

5 months 4 days ago #719862 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day SC

As a fellow Panny FZ user - WELCOME to the forum .... there is plenty of knowledge here and a willingness to exchange it :)

I do not use the video features - sorry for not giving you an immediate answer
I will investigate your difficulties today and give you an answer - should I find one - tomorrow :p

Hope this helps
Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

5 months 4 days ago #719868 by Ozzie_Traveller
Hi SC

On page 163 of the user manual there is a discussion regarding playing of videos and still images.

=IF= the Playback Menu has been set as "Picture only" then only still images will be seen ... if the Playback Menu has been set as "Video only" then only videos will be seen, but if "ALL" has been set as the preferred setting, then all images -and- videos will be seen

Go to the Playback menu and using the cursor up/down buttons, reset the options to ALL and see how it goes for you .................. and let us know how it ends up :)

Hope this helps
Phil

5 months 2 days ago #719981 by SkyeCrath
Thanks so much for this potential fix, unfortunately it didn't work. In normal playback mode the my video continues to show up as a still image on the main playback screen. When the video playback feature was working correctly, the "still image" on the main playback screen would have an arrow on it meaning I could play the video, but that is still not happening. If I choose Slideshow as the playback mode, it does "play" the video but not in a helpful way. It doesn't just play that that specific video, it includes every other picture and video on the camera in the slideshow (which can be a lot). When the video playback feature was working, I could select one specific video and just select to play that specific video. Also with the slideshow mode it plays some stock music, which I guess comes automatically within the slideshow setting, over the entire slideshow. So, I can't even hear the audio on my video, just that stock music. 

This seemed really promising and was worth the try, but definitely didn't fix the problem. Thanks again, and let me know if you can think of anything else!

5 months 2 days ago #719987 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day SC

Okay - all good ........ you've tried the way suggested in the Manual "and it ain't done much". Now it may need the Big Guns

Open the Setup Menu - go to the last screen page and select Factory Reset. It will cancel all user-selected settings except date and time - and hopefully will "repair" whatever has gone funny on you. If it does not work, you may have a circuit-board error that is only repairable by Panasonic

Phil

4 months 4 weeks ago #720069 by SkyeCrath
Yeah, reset was my "last resort" option, but it sounds like I might be there at this point. I better go thru all the screens make a note of all of the settings first. I have no idea what I might have changed (on purpose or accidentally) over the years! Thanks again for your help.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Nikon D3X is a 13-year-old high-end camera. The question is, does it still have what it takes to be a pro-level camera in 2021? The answer might surprise you.

Nov 19, 2021

The Canon EOS Rebel SL1 was the smallest DSLR on the market when it came out in 2013. Is it still a decent option for photographers in 2021? Let's find out!

Nov 04, 2021

The Nikon D4 is nearly a decade old, but despite its age, it still offers a lot of features and benefits for professional and amateur photographers alike.

Nov 03, 2021

The sony a7s might be seven years old, but the camera's specs, features, design, and price make it a worthy option for shooting photos (and video!) in 2021.

Oct 22, 2021
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

If you're looking for some smokin' Black Friday photography deals, we've got a great list of gear that you can get for HUGE savings!

Nov 24, 2021

Use these simple tips to learn how to photograph real estate during the holidays without stressing yourself (or your clients) out.

Nov 24, 2021

How large should I print my photo? This is a very common question, and one with an answer that is a little more complex than you might think.

Nov 24, 2021

If you're looking for the perfect stocking stuffer for photographers, look no further than the HoldFast Indestructible Journal.

Nov 24, 2021

There are actually quite a few ways to save money when buying photography gear. Check this list to find out three of our favorite money-saving methods.

Nov 23, 2021

In the 2021 edition of our Mpix metal print review, we'll take a look at whether this popular online printing company has prints that are worth your hard-earned cash.

Nov 22, 2021

These real estate photography tips for homeowners will help you perfect your approach to photographing your home - and photographing it well to get it sold.

Nov 22, 2021

There are many reasons why a metal print is a great holiday gift for photographers. Check out this guide to learn the benefits of printing on metal!

Nov 22, 2021