Has this ever happen to you.....

12 years 8 months ago #130604 by 4kmckyd
So last month I went to the Kenny Chesney concert and I took my dslr. I had 2nd row seat, and paid good money for them...and when Kenny came on, his security people came over and told me I had to put my camera away. Well, I snapped a few more (I had a few drinks in me ;)) they then told me I had to take my camera to the holding area, but first had to delete all of my pictures of Kenny! I missed about 20 min of the concert because of this!! I should tell you, no where was it stated that I could not take pictures! Only no video, and I argued this....but because my camera is professional looking, they would not allow me to take pictures. Needless to say, I was pissed! Has this ever happen to you?
12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #131118 by kimaldis
Yes they're entitled to do that You have no automatic right to take pictures on and should assume that you'll need to ask permission if you're on private property, even if there are no signs. Public property you can shoot who you want, where you want but on privately owned land there is no such right.

At concerts this is common practice, artists like to keep some kind of control over how they're portrayed.

It can be restrictive for pros too. Recently at a Reef gig I covered the pit was cleared by security after the first 4 numbers. Bummer and I hadn't been told but they're entitled and that's the way it goes.
12 years 8 months ago #131129 by Shadowfixer1
I had to check my camera at a NCAA final four in Tampa. The criteria for them was no cameras with removable lens. Point and shoots were O.K. I have also been questioned once going into the SEC Tournament. Their criteria was no lens longer than a cigarette pack. I had my 80-400 VR on. The guy asked me if I was with the press as I was approaching. I said yes I was over my shoulder and kept going. It was very busy so he had to choose between chasing me or checking everyone else. The ladies taking up tickets got a good laugh out of that one. I believe they thought he was a jerk that loved having authority.
12 years 8 months ago #132960 by Joiemagic
I went to see Carrie Underwood last year at the Nassau Colisium and was not able to bring my DSLR in. They did say I can bring my Kodak Easyshare DX6490. They said the Point & Shoot was ok, but the camera with interchangeable lens' were not and I did have my 70-300 lens with me in the bag. Had to bring the DSLR back to the car. This Summer, I went to the Kenny Chesney Concert at the Meadowlands. I had received an e-mail from the Meadowlands saying cameras with a lens up to 3" were allowed. I was tempted to bring my DSLR, but thought better of it and didn't want to have to walk back to my car, so only brought my Kodak with me. While I got decent pictures while t was still light out, I was limited to taking my pictures off the big screens, being the only lighting I had was the stage lighting and I couldn't adjust the Kodak enough to get good live shots . Got a few nice shots of Kenny but I would love to have had my DSLR with the long lens and the control I have with it. (I did see about 2 other people who had their SLR cameras with them, and having seen that, I was cursing myself for not bringing mine. Don't think they were part of the concert crew or anything.) My seats for KC were in the 1st level above the stage level seats.

I posted a question, (with some pics from the Kenny Chesney concert) in one of these forums asking if there were anyway of getting credentials or passes to bring my DSLR with me to a concert, and got one response saying I should just call the venue and ask. Would still ove to know what I could do to get to bring my DSLR in... I mean hell, the newer Point & Shoots are producing excellent images that could compete in some ways with the DSLR camera and those are allowed. So the artists are losing their control they may want...

Joie Fadde
Fadde Photography / Sports Shots, Etc.
"Capturing the Timeless Moments of Life"

On Flickr
www.flickr.com/photos/faddephotography/

12 years 7 months ago #133757 by kimaldis
As I said in the other thread, the best thing you can do is call and ask. Sound and act professional, if you have a folio of previous work that shows you're serious, point them at it. Tell them you'll let them, or the bands, use the shots for free if that helps. Go for smaller gigs too, even local musicians. Some of them are better than you'd think. Some of them are even damn fine and I'll bet any money they're more accessible and you'll get better shots - it's not important who you photograph, it's important how well you photograph them. You'll find a lot of them on Myspace and Facebook. Contact them, get to know them. let them get to know you.

You may strike out, you may not, but if you do strike out, don't give up, keep pushing, eventually you'll get a hit.

I used to do this for a living but I've not been near a gig with a camera for probably 30 years. Last year, just for the hell of it, I called up the organisers of Lemonfest, an annual S. Devon festival, and asked if I could have a pit pass. I offered them free use of shots under a Creative Commons license. I spent the day there, chatted with the bands afterwards, offered shots up to them too. I got 6 press pass offers on the back of those.

This is my gallery of musician shots.

www.kim-aldis.co.uk/galleries/musicians-bands/

I blagged passes or hung around with bands and local musicians. The last in the series are of a band I occasionally play with at a local pub Jam night who asked me to photograph them after they saw some of the other work.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024