My Danica Patrick makeover

12 years 7 months ago - 12 years 7 months ago #142783 by John37
This is my very first attempt to make someone over using a program. I have no idea how to apply makeup so this was somewhat of a challenge. I googled pics of women without makeup so I could practice. What are your thoughts? Hopefully Danica would like what I've done! I should probably say that I wasn't necessarily going for a completely natural look. I just wanted to use the tools in the program.

here's the before

and here's after.... thank you!

"The most endangered species? The honest man!"
Attachments:
12 years 7 months ago - 12 years 7 months ago #142785 by MLKstudios
I'm old, and learned on film. We didn't have the tools in post back then you have now.

My advice, is to hire a makeup artiste (with the e), and try to get as perfect as possible in camera, so you have very little to do in post.

I just see a made up, plastic person in the final version. Not even human.

But hey, I could be wrong. :)

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 7 months ago - 12 years 7 months ago #142813 by John37
:lol: I guess that's one way to look at it...

I've been shooting since late June of 2011, and working on this program for the same amount of time. Though I appreciate your advice, and share your enthusiasam for the purist approach, I'm certainly not in the mindset to even begin thinking about an actual photoshoot that would require a make-up artist. You are correct about the final version.... it is a made up person that was my experiment. I did say I wasn't going for realism. :lol:

Here's another one that I did this evening. Though not to my liking as of yet, it's a little closer to 'real', which is what I was going for. This one was a little more difficult. The ladies in my office picked this one out.

Before

After

Attachments:
12 years 7 months ago - 12 years 7 months ago #142815 by MLKstudios
I agree, this second one is so much better. As a pro, I can tell it is a "paste up" though, and not a true photographic image.

But please, don't ever take offense from what I say. I never wish to offend anyone. I just call it like I see it.

You're new at this game, and that's fine. We all start somewhere. But I will 2nd my motion for hiring a good hair and makeup person for the direction you seem to want to go. It really makes a difference in our trade.

The idea that Ps can do wonders to ANY image, is not wrong. But to be a photographer is different than being a graphic artist. We try really hard to not to have have to "fix it in post". Getting a nearly perfect picture in camera, is a constant pursuit.

Again, my heart is on your side, and I hope you learn something useful from this.

Matthew :)

BTW if your goal is to be a "retouch" artist for others, than you are on the right path.

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

12 years 7 months ago #142822 by John37
And one more...

Before

After

Attachments:
12 years 7 months ago #142824 by John37
I didn't take your reply as offensive. I truly appreciate your input, and your experience. I have ambitions to shoot for a living... SOME day. And when I do, I will absolutely heed your advice, as I am in agreement with you. It's like music recording.... nowadays the yound whipper-snappers are mixing everything using protools (music version of photoshop). I much rather prefer my fingers moving the sliders on the mixing board full of a thousand knobs.

Thanks again for your input! :thumbsup:

12 years 7 months ago #142828 by MLKstudios
Am so glad you see it in the light it was intended. I am here only to help, not to bash.

I became a photographer, because my real dream of playing guitar like Jimi Hendrix and Neil Young failed. But that's OK. I found my niche. I am still in the art realm.

The girl in part 3 is so naturally beautiful that ANY retouch is a curse. She has a face that wants to be as natural as a woman can be.

So, how can you improve on God's work with Photoshop? It cannot be done.

The best we can do, as a photographer, is to let that beauty come out. And not mess with it later.

Comprende?

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

12 years 7 months ago #142829 by John37
yeah, I tried to be as subtle as possible with her. But the point of my excercise was to practice Paintshop and learn how the tools are used. Once I learn what they do and how they affect the subject I'll better understand when and where to back off.

I can't wait for fall so I can start on some decent landscape shots. I've been robbed of blue skies lately. until I can take some more, I'm stuck on these google images.

12 years 7 months ago #142848 by Pixelchix
Being a woman I can't say I hate #1 because what I wouldn't give to have smooth skin like that. That is what all the magazines do. Take Oprah for instance or Paula Deen. If anyone did minimalistic retouching on those ladies I think they would be out of a job. I think there are times when you pull back and times when you don't. I really like what you did with her eyes too in #1, they just pop off the page. Comparing these three images I think you will be able to do whatever the job calls for in the future.

12 years 7 months ago #142867 by Baydream

Pixelchix wrote: Being a woman I can't say I hate #1 because what I wouldn't give to have smooth skin like that. That is what all the magazines do. Take Oprah for instance or Paula Deen. If anyone did minimalistic retouching on those ladies I think they would be out of a job. I think there are times when you pull back and times when you don't. I really like what you did with her eyes too in #1, they just pop off the page. Comparing these three images I think you will be able to do whatever the job calls for in the future.

:agree: that some retouching is fine. A lot of people would like to have minor flaws smoothed away or they wouldn't sell makeup. #1 and 3 are well done but 2 does look a bit "touched", er retouched. Good start.

Not sure about Oprah but Paula Deen has so much personality that she could survive. My wife took her cooking class in Savannah (at Uncle Bubba's) and the lady is outrageous and lovable. What you see on camera is MILD compared to the video Paula.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 7 months ago #143730 by rmeyer7
#1 I agree is overdone. The eyes and the application of the makeup are very good. But the smoothing of the skin should be more subtle. Depending on what exactly your workflow is with this type of image, I might be able to offer some suggestions. This is a technique I've played around with recently :)

The only problem I would have with #2 is that you're going for a more natural look, but right away it looks like Photoshop was involved. It's not a bad Photoshop job; it just looks like a Photoshop job.

#3, Matthew is right. She doesn't need retouching! But I understand you're not doing this because of necessity, you're doing this to learn how. Seems like you're going for the magazine photo type of edit on this one. Other than having some blown out highlights, it's a good effort.

12 years 7 months ago #143733 by butterflygirl921
Personally i love number 1 you didnt make her look fake or anything she looks like a gorgeous model. the second one her hair is too wild. it takes away from the face and the third one is nice and soft i like it

12 years 7 months ago #143750 by John37
This is fantastic feedback! Thank you all very much. It's interesting to see that so far, the women like number 1, and the men think it's over done. That's just an observation... not meant to conclude anything. :)

I agree with everyone so far. The skin on number is too overdone. The blur was set too high. I've learned to watch that a lot closer and I'm learning how the strength of the blur will affect the final result.
I haven't figured out how to "fix" hair yet. I'll have to spend some time on that. On number 2 all I could really do was use the 'lighten' feature on the hair. I'm going to re-do that image with the suggestions given here. I don't use photoshop.... it's actually Corel PaintShop. It's a pretty capable program, but it's very unstable and crashes a lot, even with the 4 fixes installed.
And yes.... I'm definitely doing this, not to "better" the person, but to learn the program. I found a photo online that I think will be perfect for my practice. I'm playing with that one right now. Maybe I can get some shooting in soon, too.
Again, thank you all for your feedback.

12 years 7 months ago #143803 by John37
I've another subject. This is not the one that I said is perfect for what I was trying to do. But this one is a good practice pic.

Before

After

Attachments:
12 years 7 months ago - 12 years 7 months ago #143805 by MLKstudios
Doing better, John.

"I have heard of your paintings too, well enough. God has given you one face and you make yourselves another."

-- W. Shakespeare, Hamlet, Act 3, Scene 1

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024