Anime Portrait

12 years 7 months ago #145340 by Mike Davis
Might be a bit of a Marmite shot this people seem to either love it or hate it with no in between. A shot of my son's girlfriend in which I wanted to make blow the skin tones but still have the hair properly exposed giving her the look of a Japanese Anime Character. I shot this in my front room using a couple of Courtenay Solaflash 4000 heads triggered by the built in flash on my Olympus E-510. What do you think ? has it achieved the desired effect ? or do you not like it ? I will be very interested to hear your opinions on this one.

Attachments:
12 years 7 months ago - 12 years 7 months ago #145404 by Joiemagic
:thumbsup: I think you are on the right track.... like the idea.... but in blowing out the face you have blown everything else out as well besides the hair, which I know was your intent. Her chin just bleeds right into the neck... and you lose the clothing as well.

Other than that, great job.... I do like the detail in the hair... :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Joie Fadde
Fadde Photography / Sports Shots, Etc.
"Capturing the Timeless Moments of Life"

On Flickr
www.flickr.com/photos/faddephotography/

12 years 7 months ago #145442 by Mike Davis
Thank you Joie I appreciate your comments, studio work is something I'm really keen to learn and this was one of my first efforts with my own lighting. Do you think one of the lights being positioned slightly more to the left and therefore throwing a bit more shadow on the chin line would have helped or is there anything I can do in PP that would give a bit more definition to the face without loosing the effect ?

12 years 7 months ago #145454 by Joiemagic
I would say in PS, you can definitely bring out some of the chin detail, to add that separation of face and neck.

I am still learning myself, the pre-photo lighting, but yeah, adjusting or adding a light to give some shadow on the chin would definitely help.

Joie Fadde
Fadde Photography / Sports Shots, Etc.
"Capturing the Timeless Moments of Life"

On Flickr
www.flickr.com/photos/faddephotography/

12 years 7 months ago #145459 by Robynaudrey
I love this image. Very unusual. I see what you mean about the chin, but I really like the effect. Nice one.

12 years 7 months ago #145532 by MLKstudios
Italian fashion magazines, circa 1960's. Was cool then, too.

The old method was to shoot black and white and over process the film. Result, no skin tone.

:)

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024