Anime Portrait

9 years 4 months ago #145340 by Mike Davis
Might be a bit of a Marmite shot this people seem to either love it or hate it with no in between. A shot of my son's girlfriend in which I wanted to make blow the skin tones but still have the hair properly exposed giving her the look of a Japanese Anime Character. I shot this in my front room using a couple of Courtenay Solaflash 4000 heads triggered by the built in flash on my Olympus E-510. What do you think ? has it achieved the desired effect ? or do you not like it ? I will be very interested to hear your opinions on this one.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

9 years 4 months ago - 9 years 4 months ago #145404 by Joiemagic
:thumbsup: I think you are on the right track.... like the idea.... but in blowing out the face you have blown everything else out as well besides the hair, which I know was your intent. Her chin just bleeds right into the neck... and you lose the clothing as well.

Other than that, great job.... I do like the detail in the hair... :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Joie Fadde
Fadde Photography / Sports Shots, Etc.
"Capturing the Timeless Moments of Life"

On Flickr
www.flickr.com/photos/faddephotography/

9 years 4 months ago #145442 by Mike Davis
Thank you Joie I appreciate your comments, studio work is something I'm really keen to learn and this was one of my first efforts with my own lighting. Do you think one of the lights being positioned slightly more to the left and therefore throwing a bit more shadow on the chin line would have helped or is there anything I can do in PP that would give a bit more definition to the face without loosing the effect ?

9 years 4 months ago #145454 by Joiemagic
I would say in PS, you can definitely bring out some of the chin detail, to add that separation of face and neck.

I am still learning myself, the pre-photo lighting, but yeah, adjusting or adding a light to give some shadow on the chin would definitely help.

Joie Fadde
Fadde Photography / Sports Shots, Etc.
"Capturing the Timeless Moments of Life"

On Flickr
www.flickr.com/photos/faddephotography/

9 years 4 months ago #145459 by Robynaudrey
I love this image. Very unusual. I see what you mean about the chin, but I really like the effect. Nice one.

9 years 4 months ago #145532 by MLKstudios
Italian fashion magazines, circa 1960's. Was cool then, too.

The old method was to shoot black and white and over process the film. Result, no skin tone.

:)

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

In this FujiFilm X-A7 review, learn why this camera is an excellent entry-level option for beginner photographers.

Jan 18, 2021

The Sony a6100 has been out for over a year now. In this long-term Sony a6100 review, learn all about its features, specs, price, and more.

Jan 13, 2021

The Panasonic G85 might be a few years old, but it still has the specs and features to make it a highly useful camera. Get all the details in this Panasonic G85 review.

Jan 12, 2021

The Olympus OM-D E-M1 I is pushing eight years old, but for budget-minded photographers, it represents excellent value in 2021.

Jan 08, 2021
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

With these basic photography tips, you'll learn about four exciting ways to print your photos that will help you bring your images to life.

Jan 22, 2021

There are plenty of reasons why you should use a teleprompter, not the least of which is to have better eye contact with the camera.

Jan 21, 2021

Learn how to get more leads by optimizing your website and making it as user-friendly as possible. More leads equals more business, so this is an easy way to boost your bottom line.

Jan 19, 2021

Use these simple mobile photography tips to get better results whether you have an iPhone or an Android device.

Jan 19, 2021

Text messaging for business can help you in many ways, from keeping in touch with clients to sending invoices to get paid. Learn other benefits in this photography business guide.

Jan 18, 2021

In this FujiFilm X-A7 review, learn why this camera is an excellent entry-level option for beginner photographers.

Jan 18, 2021

Not everyone is comfortable in front of the camera, but with these portrait photography tips, you'll learn surefire ways to help models relax and have fun.

Jan 18, 2021

It's easy to be inspired in photography, but sometimes you need some photography exercises to regain that creativity. Learn a few creative photography ideas in this guide.

Jan 18, 2021