New at attempting portraits...

12 years 6 months ago #151502 by CherryPop1974
When it comes to photographing people I usually work with bands and artist in a live concert setting. I have absolutely no experience with studio settings or lighting equipment so i pretty much wing it and do things from an artist point of view and have no formal training other than a black and white film class 20 yrs ago in high school. Soooo... I figured I'd get some opinions on a few of my first attempts with people outside of a concert venue.

12 years 6 months ago - 12 years 6 months ago #151639 by MLKstudios
Technique is a little rusty, but the ideas are good.

While it isn't an absolute you have to have good tonal scale it does show off your skills as a photographer. Blowouts & etc. show off a lack of image control (though they do have artistic merit).

If you wish to use these in a graphic sense (like posters), they're fine. Else you need to pay more attention to the dynamic range of your camera and controlling light and shadows better (i.e. less contrast and improved post processing).

HTH :)

eta A lot of fashion work uses blown out highlights.

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

The following user(s) said Thank You: CherryPop1974
12 years 6 months ago #151642 by butterflygirl921
The first two wash out into the background and the fourth one is blurry but overall i like the idea

12 years 6 months ago #151688 by CherryPop1974

MLKstudios wrote: Technique is a little rusty, but the ideas are good.

While it isn't an absolute you have to have good tonal scale it does show off your skills as a photographer. Blowouts & etc. show off a lack of image control (though they do have artistic merit).

If you wish to use these in a graphic sense (like posters), they're fine. Else you need to pay more attention to the dynamic range of your camera and controlling light and shadows better (i.e. less contrast and improved post processing).

Thanks for the tips! I'm really into angles, colors and emotional expressions in what I do. I started out as a painter at a young age and got into photography later on. So I pretty much take the pics based on how I want the angles to look or to capture a certain response I'm getting from my subject then just play around with editing tools until it looks the way I want it. I definitely need to learn more about my camera and focusing and lighting. Some day when my kids are older and i have more time I'm going to take some photography classes and learn how to use photoshop which I have never used before.

12 years 6 months ago #151702 by C05Mo
Love the photos. It's nice to see a different theme of portraits. I think you did a good job overall.

12 years 6 months ago #151704 by photobod

CherryPop1974 wrote:

MLKstudios wrote: Technique is a little rusty, but the ideas are good.

Thanks for the tips! I'm really into angles, colors and emotional expressions in what I do. I started out as a painter at a young age and got into photography later on. So I pretty much take the pics based on how I want the angles to look or to capture a certain response I'm getting from my subject then just play around with editing tools until it looks the way I want it. I definitely need to learn more about my camera and focusing and lighting. Some day when my kids are older and i have more time I'm going to take some photography classes and learn how to use photoshop which I have never used before.

Listen to what has been said but dont take it as a must, yes your camera skills need to be looked at but your artistic side shines through in bucket loads :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

12 years 6 months ago - 12 years 6 months ago #151719 by MLKstudios
This makes me wonder, when you all are going to realize there is an actual "skill set" that makes someone a pro level photographer.

Sure, we can all take a good picture on GREEN, but being able to control the image and pre-visualize the results (before chimping) requires knowledge and SKILLS!

I can teach you those, or you can spend 10-20 years figuring them out. Just know there are tools that we (pros) use that make our pics stand out above the others. We tend to be more precise in exposure, we are more aware of contrast and are better able to make an artistic work. It isn't that hard, but no one is born with this knowledge. If you want to be seen as a pro, put some work (and time) into it.

Matthew :)

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

12 years 6 months ago #151813 by VT Hiker

CherryPop1974 wrote: Soooo... I figured I'd get some opinions on a few of my first attempts with people outside of a concert venue.

I give you credit for not only stepping outside your comfort zone, but posting the results here. I think you have a cool vision and am glad you were willing to show us something different.

Most of your photographs have nice elements to them, but one stands out for me. The second one has a cool tone and feeling, but the lost facial highlights are a negative. The third one is bland. The fourth is unsettling, partly because of the girl's expression but also the out-of-focus aspect. The fifth is also unsettling because of her posture, but it's technically good; feels like a "Rolling Stone" shot.

The one that stands out is the first. It, obviously, has a lot of blown highlights, but I think they work for the image. The highlights around the girl's head isolate her face; her skin tone is great, and her hair seems to imitate the wings of the birds on the umbrella - which are, interestingly, negatives of her image. I think the high contrast and dreaminess make it feel mysterious, and I want to learn more about her. You may not have pondered any of that while shooting, but it further demonstrates the innate artistic sense you seem to have.

Now, if you can learn to control your camera precisely, you can be that good on a consistent basis.

MLKstudios wrote: This makes me wonder, when you all are going to realize there is an actual "skill set" that makes someone a pro level photographer.

Sure, we can all take a good picture on GREEN, but being able to control the image and pre-visualize the results (before chimping) requires knowledge and SKILLS!

I can teach you those, or you can spend 10-20 years figuring them out. Just know there are tools that we (pros) use that make our pics stand out above the others. We tend to be more precise in exposure, we are more aware of contrast and are better able to make an artistic work. It isn't that hard, but no one is born with this knowledge. If you want to be seen as a pro, put some work (and time) into it.

Feel better now?

Every moment of light and dark is a miracle. - Walt Whitman
12 years 6 months ago - 12 years 6 months ago #151814 by MLKstudios
No. :(

It seems they are winning. Scott Kelby is now calling himself a photographer, BP has a new flash book on how to use your flash in MANUAL mode -- what you can gather from strobist in a few days reading.

Zach sells videos made "gorilla" style. He should be sued instead. No real pro would do that.

These are the new heros of the interweb.

Sometimes I think it's a lost cause.

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

12 years 6 months ago #151836 by photobod

MLKstudios wrote: This makes me wonder, when you all are going to realize there is an actual "skill set" that makes someone a pro level photographer.

I take it this means you think you are better than all us meer mortals Matthew with that arrogant statement, I have tried hard to hold myself back but this is one step too far by you, I believe that every member on here knows fine well that there are a set of skills that need to be learned, thats the very reason we are all here, to help each other in a kind and caring way, I am fed up of seeing you spam every member that mentions courses in a thread to the point of making me sick, yes I know you are a vendor, but that does not give you the right to come out with how brilliant you are and how you can save us all 10/20 years of figuring it all out without you on near every thread you enter.
Behave and get yourself on the naughty step, whilst there find some humility.

I make no apologies for this rant its well deserved, but if I have upset any other members I apologise to them unreservedly.

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

The following user(s) said Thank You: Zafonia, CherryPop1974
12 years 6 months ago - 12 years 6 months ago #151845 by MLKstudios
But David, does "in a caring way" mean spreading BS everywhere? I sure hope not.

And you got me all wrong. I'm trying to help you become better.

Then you too can be one of us '13375'.

:)

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

12 years 6 months ago - 12 years 6 months ago #151942 by Alex

MLKstudios wrote: No. :(

It seems they are winning. Scott Kelby is now calling himself a photographer, BP has a new flash book on how to use your flash in MANUAL mode -- what you can gather from strobist in a few days reading.

Zach sells videos made "gorilla" style. He should be sued instead. No real pro would do that.

These are the new heros of the interweb.

Sometimes I think it's a lost cause.

Matthew... wrong approach. The names mentioned above are well known respected photographers in the industry. Regardless of their views you don't see Scott Kelby and Bryan Peterson talking trash about other photographers online. It's uncalled for and unprofessional. Please respect my wishes and keep these sort of negative opinions to yourself and NOT on the board. These are highly opinionated views of yours and don't belong here.

Thank you for your understanding.

Alex

Thank you for making PhotographyTalk.com your photography community of choice.
Photo Comments
12 years 6 months ago - 12 years 6 months ago #151954 by MLKstudios
They are only respected by n00bs who don't know any better. But, I'm open to new approaches.

eta I'm just trying to save the world, one photographer at a time.

You are on a very short leash. -scotty

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

12 years 6 months ago #152083 by CherryPop1974
Wow, wasn't expecting all that...

To Matthew: I appreciate any tips for learning how to improve my work but I don't ever care to be a "Pro" because I know in order to make money off photography you have to do things a precise way. I myself enjoy doing what I do because it allows me to express my creativity and I'm here to learn and share it with others who might enjoy it.
I accidentally got into concert photography by taking pics for myself and when i started posting them the bands would contact me to do more because they liked what they called my "Raw" approached to photography. Things just took off from there and if I were a Pro I probably wouldn't of stood out from the other locals.
In my opinion there are two kinds of photographers. Pros like yourself who apparently live by some set of photography rules then there are artist who are more concerned with expression than rules. I am the latter who just wanted some opinions and hopes to learn a few things along the way for my personal education in order to be able to make my photos look the way I picture them in my head. That is all. There is no reason to tear down anyone else who has posted their opinion just because they don't live up to your standards. Thanks again to you and all the others for your tips and opinions. They much appreciated.

12 years 6 months ago - 12 years 6 months ago #152086 by MLKstudios
To be an artist you should be creative, love what you do and know when to break the rules.

There's no box you have to fit in. You got me wrong too. I want you to be free of the rules that the amateurs follow -- to go beyond them.

To become an artist, you first have to step off a cliff. It can be scary and for some reason, those who are afraid to do it themselves, like to hold others back. It's like they don't want you to be more free than they are.

I teach because I love what I do and am good at it. It's my bliss. I get to help others achieve their dreams.

:)

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024