New at attempting portraits...

12 years 6 months ago #152090 by Imagegourmet
There are no rules in Photography, people will buy your work if they like it, I spent 27 years in the Commercial field, and I was often amazed at which images the client chose, very often it was a result of just "playing" around with the lights or the focus, sort of "thinking outside the box" photography.
Your images have an element of art in them, the more you shoot the better you will get.

Good luck:thumbsup:
The following user(s) said Thank You: CherryPop1974
12 years 6 months ago #152549 by icepics
Cherry I can see the creative vision you have and the potential for some imaginative portraits. Where I think the technique comes in is that you can better interpret your vision as your skills improve. It's like that in art - the more I've learned techniques and kept practicing the better the quality of my work in art/crafts - I can see it in something I made a long time ago compared to something I made recently. You have some cool ideas and I can see where you're going with them. As you said you're learning about how to use your camera and the more you take pictures the better your photos will get. I think that helps to express your creativity the best you can.

David I guess things are open to interpretation, what started w/Matthew's valid critique seemed to develop into something coming out of frustration I thought as much as anything. I can see where it could be frustrating when things from the internet get posted that aren't necessarily the most accurate information. And when there are photographer's videos etc. getting posted, which gives them basically free advertising when they don't seem to be a paid sponsor - although I think the intention is for it to be sharing information with forum users. Of course we all have different opinions on what tips and techniques are helpful to us depending on what we want to accomplish w/our photos.

I've gotten frustrated myself at times on here when people sometimes want suggestions etc. but other times they seem to just want someone to pat them on the back or give them a thumbs up. That can be great when your friends support you but if people want to improve their photos that won't help as much as some constructive comments.

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 6 months ago #153054 by Scotty
Very good imagery..just have to tighten up focus and small things. Keep on truckin.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
12 years 6 months ago - 12 years 6 months ago #153449 by Stealthy Ninja
Now if I were an arrogant git (I might be arrogant, but I don't think I'm a git...) I'd pick on the technique used. There's certainly a lot of "technical" problems with these images.

HOWEVER: I think the techniques used suits the subject matter a LOT. Which means the photos are a success.

A true pro will know how to bend the rules to suit whatever they're shooting. Seems to me you do this natually.

It's like when I was young, people would say about my paintings "nice composition" I didn't even know what composition meant! I just knew how I wanted it to look. I didn't follow some rules someone invented or anything, I just did it.

Some people are born with it, some follow the "pro skill set" whatever the heck that is. The end results are what counts I'm sure we all agree on that. :)

Well done. I especially like the last one and the 2nd last one. The slight movement blur on the eyes is really interesting.
12 years 6 months ago #153603 by photobod

icepics wrote: Cherry I can see the creative vision you have and the potential for some imaginative portraits. Where I think the technique comes in is that you can better interpret your vision as your skills improve. It's like that in art - the more I've learned techniques and kept practicing the better the quality of my work in art/crafts - I can see it in something I made a long time ago compared to something I made recently. You have some cool ideas and I can see where you're going with them. As you said you're learning about how to use your camera and the more you take pictures the better your photos will get. I think that helps to express your creativity the best you can.

David I guess things are open to interpretation, what started w/Matthew's valid critique seemed to develop into something coming out of frustration I thought as much as anything. I can see where it could be frustrating when things from the internet get posted that aren't necessarily the most accurate information. And when there are photographer's videos etc. getting posted, which gives them basically free advertising when they don't seem to be a paid sponsor - although I think the intention is for it to be sharing information with forum users. Of course we all have different opinions on what tips and techniques are helpful to us depending on what we want to accomplish w/our photos.

I've gotten frustrated myself at times on here when people sometimes want suggestions etc. but other times they seem to just want someone to pat them on the back or give them a thumbs up. That can be great when your friends support you but if people want to improve their photos that won't help as much as some constructive comments.

Matthew has many valid critiques its just the way he gets them across that sucks..

Adrian well said you hit the nail right on the head

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

12 years 6 months ago #155202 by CherryPop1974
Matthew has many valid critiques its just the way he gets them across that sucks..

Adrian well said you hit the nail right on the head [/b][/color][/quote]

I agree with this. His initial comment I completely understood and appreciated. Then when I came back I saw putting someone down in a negative way and I don't think that helps anyone. Where he was offering to teach me techniques, I could teach him the The Communication Theory.

12 years 6 months ago #155222 by Scotty

CherryPop1974 wrote: Matthew has many valid critiques its just the way he gets them across that sucks..

Adrian well said you hit the nail right on the head [/b][/color]

I agree with this. His initial comment I completely understood and appreciated. Then when I came back I saw putting someone down in a negative way and I don't think that helps anyone. Where he was offering to teach me techniques, I could teach him the The Communication Theory.[/quote]

Have you done anymore work since the thread? we're very interested to see your progression.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
12 years 6 months ago #155802 by CherryPop1974

Scotty wrote:

CherryPop1974 wrote: Matthew has many valid critiques its just the way he gets them across that sucks..

Adrian well said you hit the nail right on the head [/b][/color]

I agree with this. His initial comment I completely understood and appreciated. Then when I came back I saw putting someone down in a negative way and I don't think that helps anyone. Where he was offering to teach me techniques, I could teach him the The Communication Theory.

Have you done anymore work since the thread? we're very interested to see your progression.[/quote]

No, I had knee surgery on Friday so it'll be awhile before I can do any new work.

12 years 6 months ago #156458 by icepics
Hope your recovery from your knee surgery is going well. I got to thinking that comments on here made related to a critique may have come across differently than intended. On message boards particularly sometimes something can sound more harsh in writing than if it had been said in person. What has been frustrating on here is when people are posting their photos and then don't seem to want to hear suggestions if they're told their work needs improvement. It's unfortunate that your post happened to bring out some comments that may have come out of frustration but weren't really related to your post. Seems like people can see what you're going for in your photos as you have a distinctive style. Hope you get back to taking pictures again soon.

Sharon
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024