Chilifest ghosts and goblins

12 years 6 months ago #161068 by animalhass
Chilifest 2011

I shoot events, I could use a critique on how I can make my pictures better. I used my 7d and my 18-55 kit lens. I shot manual and because the day was so dreary, I used my on-camera flash as fill. I still ended up having to modify exposure, brightness in PP for many of these shots. Is there a better way? I have 2 more events to photograph before Christmas. The one in 2 weeks is all day, ending in a parade at night. The last one is a Christmas parade at night. I photographed all 3 of these events last year and I would be happy for some ideas on how to take better shots. Do I need to borrow a different lens? I hate the distortion, even at 55mm, I get when taking pictures (big heads, short, skinny legs.)

Thanks for looking and commenting,

Marie

12 years 6 months ago #161150 by Stealthy Ninja
scary
12 years 6 months ago #161479 by rmeyer7
As far as the lighting goes, the cloudy weather in these shots is a good thing. It's the perfect natural diffuser for sunlight. Your camera will have a white balance setting for cloudy weather, so if you're not using that you may want to give it a try. And if you're looking for the photos to be brighter all around, try using some exposure compensation.

The on-camera flash isn't as versatile for use as a fill flash as a nice speedlight would be, but you made it work pretty well.

You will see the distortion with the lens you're using. If you want to avoid that, there are a couple of things you could do. One option would be, if you have Lighroom or some other software that's good at correcting lens distortion, just to use that lens and then correct it later. Of course the more favorable option is always to get it right in-camera by using a different lens. You usually get much more natural and flattering shots with a short telephoto, shooting from a little farther away. On a crop sensor camera, an 85mm prime works really well. If you can get your hands on Canon's 135mm L, that's about the sharpest lens you'll find. Plus it works great in low light and will give you some beautiful bokeh.

All lenses will have some distortion, but the 2 that I mentioned above or another short telephoto will look much better. And one other idea, change your angle just a bit on some shots. Particularly the baby photo -- it looks like you got a little lower than usual, but it would be even better to get all the way down to her level.

The following user(s) said Thank You: animalhass
12 years 6 months ago #161580 by animalhass
Dear meyer7, thank you SO MUCH for taking the time to respond to my questions. I am anxious to create better pictures for my clients and you have answered some of my bothersome questions. I am feeling a gap in my lenses. I have an 18-55 kit lens, a 70-300 4-5.6 USM IS and a 70-200 2.8L. Nothing really in the middle ranges. I did have the WB set for cloudy, but did not think of using EC. I don't think, though, that is an option when shooting manual? Also, I initially had my camera and speedlite on a flashbracket, but it felt like... so much... to carry for several hours. Maybe it really would not be a problem. I will try in 2 weeks at my next event.

LOLs on the level of the baby. I was on one knee and was aready afraid I couldn't get up! But really, I will try next time to get lower. It would have been a better shot so horses legs were not growing out of her head.

12 years 6 months ago - 12 years 6 months ago #161869 by rmeyer7
Glad I could help :)

If you're interested in a good focal length in between your current lenses - other than the primes I mentioned before - look into either a 24-70L, 28-70L, 24-105L or 28-105. Each of these have some great options. Canon's 24-70L is sharp and fast (f/2.8 ), though of course not cheap. The 28-70 is a little older - it was actually replaced by the 24-70L. Same aperture and very sharp, and you may be able to find one for a bit less.

The longer zooms have pros and cons too. I love my 24-105L, but the maximum aperture of f/4 is limiting sometimes. The 28-105 is not an L lens, so it's considerable cheaper. It's not going to be as sharp as a higher end lens, and is more prone to CA. But still gives you some pretty good photos. I may have some samples to post soon from a recent event. I think the aperture range on that lens is f/3.5-4.5.

On your question about EC, you can use it in manual. The beauty of manual is that there's no factor you can't absolutely control!

12 years 6 months ago #161939 by animalhass
Meyer7,

I have seriously considered the Canon 24-105 f4L lens as a go to for events. It is running about $1,000.

I would love to see your samples. Let me know when you have gotten them posted. In the meantime, I will review EC.

Marie

12 years 6 months ago #162022 by Stealthy Ninja
That baby at the bottom is FEAKIN' ME OUT MAN!
12 years 6 months ago #162129 by animalhass
Stealthy,

I thought the parents of the baby did an imaginative job. The fact that the mom taught this baby to open her mouth like that when she said "scared" was fascinating.

If you really do find this picture disturbing, I will delete it. It is hard to determine someone's intent by a post, and I would not want to disregard your commentary.

Marie

12 years 6 months ago #162136 by chasrich
Leave the baby photos as it is. Stealthy gets spooked around this time of year. The shot is very effective though...:woohoo: :woohoo:

Kudos to both the makeup mother and to the photographer for a nice series of shots.

Special mention to rmeyer7 for an outstanding evaluation and review. I think a lot of us learned a lot from it. Good work man!

:judge: :judge: :judge: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 6 months ago #162252 by rmeyer7

chasrich wrote: Special mention to rmeyer7 for an outstanding evaluation and review. I think a lot of us learned a lot from it. Good work man!

Wow... I didn't think anything I said was worthy of kudos, but I'm definitely glad I was able to contribute something helpful! :cheers:

12 years 6 months ago #162344 by animalhass
meyer7, the fact that you took the time to thoughtfully answer my questions was worth the thanks. Add to that the commentary you provided addressed issues that were applicable to other members was priceless. I think, besides what camera to buy, the second knottiest dilemma is what lenses to add to one's arsenal. Again, that is the value of having people like you in this forum.

Marie

12 years 6 months ago #162364 by Stealthy Ninja
LOL I'm very hard to offend. I was joking. Looks great.
12 years 5 months ago #162517 by animalhass
Stealty - good! I thought you were joking, but just needed to make sure. lols

Marie

12 years 5 months ago #163320 by rmeyer7
Marie - as promised, here is a sample image from the lens I mentioned earlier in the thread (the 28-105, the only one that isn't an L lens). My wife took this one, assisting me at the MS Bike Tour event last month. Hopefully it will still look as sharp after I upload it as it does on my screen. Pretty impressive sharpness for a low-cost lens, and I didn't sharpen it at all in post.

Attachments:
12 years 5 months ago #163402 by animalhass
Thank you for posting! Would you also share the exif data?

Marie

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024