Little Black Dress

12 years 4 months ago - 12 years 4 months ago #182609 by Rob Nerpel
This was one of the first shots from this session. This was done using an Alien Bees Ring Flash with Moon Unit Softbox. That light is idiot proof and I love it!

Too many people die with bodies in good shape... I want my body to be completely wrecked from extreme sports before I move on to the next adventure!
Attachments:
12 years 4 months ago #182611 by Dori
Very well done!!! :judge: :judge: :judge:

Don't pi$$ me off, I am running out of room to store the bodies...

Resident Texasotan...

12 years 4 months ago #182613 by Rob pix4u2
:agree:

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

12 years 4 months ago #182630 by Shadowfixer1
Nice lighting but you needed a different color dress or a different color couch. They blend together too much in my opinion. I would like to see some distinction between the two.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Trent photography
12 years 4 months ago #182631 by butterflygirl921
:agree: They blend in way to much but otherwise the idea is wonderful and i like how shes composed!! :judge: :judge:

12 years 4 months ago - 12 years 4 months ago #182632 by Rob Nerpel

Shadowfixer1 wrote: Nice lighting but you needed a different color dress or a different color couch. They blend together too much in my opinion. I would like to see some distinction between the two.

Thanks. Very, very, Interesting point. Hundreds of people have seen that shot and no one has ever said that... However, I do definitely see and appreciate your point. I think the overall mood of the shot would have been compromised with a white or red dress. I think I can live with the similar colors to keep the sexy, dark mood of the shot versus a different colored dress. I have about 20 shots of her in this dress. I will post another in a different setting. Thanks again!

Too many people die with bodies in good shape... I want my body to be completely wrecked from extreme sports before I move on to the next adventure!
Attachments:
12 years 4 months ago #182634 by Dori
When you attach a file, hit insert and it will show up in your post. ;)

This one is good. Looking at your first one again I do find the painting a bit distracting.

Well done tho!!!

Don't pi$$ me off, I am running out of room to store the bodies...

Resident Texasotan...

12 years 4 months ago #182822 by Shadowfixer1

Rob Nerpel wrote:

Shadowfixer1 wrote: Nice lighting but you needed a different color dress or a different color couch. They blend together too much in my opinion. I would like to see some distinction between the two.

Thanks. Very, very, Interesting point. Hundreds of people have seen that shot and no one has ever said that... However, I do definitely see and appreciate your point. I think the overall mood of the shot would have been compromised with a white or red dress. I think I can live with the similar colors to keep the sexy, dark mood of the shot versus a different colored dress. I have about 20 shots of her in this dress. I will post another in a different setting. Thanks again!

It's not surprising that no one has said anything. People generally give out 'attaboys freely whether the image is good or bad. I see it on all site forums and this site is particularly prone to do so. I don't like all the 'attaboys. If you don't point out what you don't like in an image or even what you do like, how will that person improve? These statements are not about your images or your photography. They are general observations about photo sharing sites. Some can't handle critiques, but if they want to improve, they will listen. That doesn't mean every critique is correct. My comments on your image is just my opinion and that doesn't make it right or wrong, it's just my opinion but comments like these may bring to light something that the photographer just does not see.
12 years 4 months ago #182837 by Screamin Scott

Shadowfixer1 wrote:

Rob Nerpel wrote:

It's not surprising that no one has said anything. People generally give out 'attaboys freely whether the image is good or bad. I see it on all site forums and this site is particularly prone to do so. I don't like all the 'attaboys. If you don't point out what you don't like in an image or even what you do like, how will that person improve? These statements are not about your images or your photography. They are general observations about photo sharing sites. Some can't handle critiques, but if they want to improve, they will listen. That doesn't mean every critique is correct. My comments on your image is just my opinion and that doesn't make it right or wrong, it's just my opinion but comments like these may bring to light something that the photographer just does not see.

+1 on Randy's comments. My opinion as well, he just beat me to it...

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
12 years 4 months ago #182846 by PNMBritt
The Dress and couch doesn't bother me at all, I like the mood. I don't worry about the opinion of other photographers that I don't really know. My clients opinion matters the most to me, and the size of the check that they write.

I hear great things about Alien Bees! I am using whitelightining 800's. Serious workhorses. I have used Novatron and Norman with power-packs as well. Really liked the Normans, but I am glad to be done with power-packs. I have enough to tote around as it is.

In life there have always been those who make fire; but most just sit around the fire and enjoy the warmth. A great mind absent of action is waste.
Attachments:
12 years 4 months ago #182916 by Rob Nerpel

PNMBritt wrote: The Dress and couch doesn't bother me at all, I like the mood. I don't worry about the opinion of other photographers that I don't really know. My clients opinion matters the most to me, and the size of the check that they write.

I hear great things about Alien Bees! I am using whitelightining 800's. Serious workhorses. I have used Novatron and Norman with power-packs as well. Really liked the Normans, but I am glad to be done with power-packs. I have enough to tote around as it is.

Thanks, I think this pic has a warm, dark feel so the dress works for me too but it is always interesting to hear other opinions. Bang per buck you can't beat Alien Bees IMO. I also have Elinchrom lights which are fantastic but much more expensive. The AB Ring Flash with the Moon Unit modifiers are just awesome units for this kind of stuff.

12 years 4 months ago #182970 by rmeyer7
I think there's another factor here, another reason so few people have given any critique on your photo. Simply put, when you have a gorgeous model a lot of people aren't as likely to look around at the rest of the image. People enjoy pictures of beautiful women; if that wasn't the case, there would be much less demand for the work that many photographers do. So when you take a photo that does a good job of showing off the model, not everyone is going to look at the painting above her. Untrained eyes simply won't be looking for it, and only the few whose eyes are trained will notice it.

Personally, I don't have a problem with the color of the couch or the dress, but I think perhaps the other side of the image could use a little extra light.

In your second image, the model is very nicely lit. However, the chairs, fence, etc. visible through the windows, and the light fixture above her, all create some distraction. So your exposure on the subject is great, but the composition could be improved by eliminating things in the background.

12 years 4 months ago #183038 by PT Admin

New to the forum? Please read the forum rules at www.photographytalk.com/terms-of-use
12 years 4 months ago #183046 by geoffellis

rmeyer7 wrote: Simply put, when you have a gorgeous model a lot of people aren't as likely to look around at the rest of the image. People enjoy pictures of beautiful women;

I didnt even see the couch or the painting until someone pointed it out :rofl:

rmeyer7 wrote: In your second image, the model is very nicely lit. However, the chairs, fence, etc. visible through the windows, and the light fixture above her, all create some distraction. So your exposure on the subject is great, but the composition could be improved by eliminating things in the background.

Again... I had to go back and look, cause all i saw in the second image was the pool stick and the model - possibly the pool table as well :drool:
12 years 4 months ago #183050 by PT Admin
No doubt she is a beautiful model but to me, it isn't enough to make the photo stand out. I'm very much into fashion and her dress is very flat against the dark sofa . I like her pose but I would prefer her fingers to slightly run through her hair instead of her hand resting on her head with her hair pulled back; this draws attention to her forehead.

New to the forum? Please read the forum rules at www.photographytalk.com/terms-of-use
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Trent photography

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024