My first attempts with portraits

12 years 4 months ago #182913 by Tracybug
Hi,

I just recently tried my hand at taking some portrait style photos. I know I still have a long way to go but how am I doing so far? Any suggestions?

C:\fakepath\afav.jpg

Attachments:
12 years 4 months ago - 12 years 4 months ago #182919 by Tracybug
Hmmmmm I double posted that sorry!!!

12 years 4 months ago #182920 by Tracybug
Trying to add second photo again...

Attachments:
12 years 4 months ago #182942 by Rob Nerpel
Very nice work. On the last one I'd recommend straightening the horizon or the waterline so it looks straight. Natural light? I'd like to see a catch light on the first two shots to make her eyes light-up a bit.

Too many people die with bodies in good shape... I want my body to be completely wrecked from extreme sports before I move on to the next adventure!
12 years 4 months ago #182944 by Tracybug
Hi Rob,

I'm going to sound like a real newbie....but that is what I am!!!! "catch light" .....can you explain this to me!!!! Thanks a bunch!

Tracy

12 years 4 months ago #182967 by rmeyer7
:welcomeclan

Nice job on your portraits :thumbsup:

Catchlights are the reflections from a light source that you often see in a person's eyes. It really adds a lot to a portrait, because eyes are generally the most important part of a portrait. You could achieve this by using a flash, some external source of light, or in some cases reflecting light onto your subject.

One suggestion I would offer is to go easy on the vignetting (the dark borders around your photos). A lot of that is personal taste, but it also looks more professional.

12 years 4 months ago #182972 by Rob pix4u2
Catch lights are the twinkle/reflection of the light in someones eyes

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

Attachments:
12 years 4 months ago #182987 by Rob Nerpel

Everyone explained it already... here is an example which makes it more obvious. Keep up the good work!

Too many people die with bodies in good shape... I want my body to be completely wrecked from extreme sports before I move on to the next adventure!
Attachments:
12 years 4 months ago #183102 by photobod
Their is a catchlight in the first photo you can see it more clearly if you enlarge the photo and that horizon is so minutely off that its not worth moving it, you are a beginner so well done on your first attempt, remember practise makes perfect and ask lots of questions on here, as you can see we queue up with our opinions.

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

12 years 4 months ago #183107 by Gary Trent photography
My opinion:
You have a very nice model yet shooting her dead-on does not flatter this girl.
If you have the opp to shoot her again, try 3/4 profiles and have her look away
from the camera somewhat.
Maybe looking up or looking down.
Work with her !
:cheers:

GaryTrent photography (Canada)

Owner of
Art Effects Gallery,
Grand Forks, B.C. Canada

Please visit me on Multiply:
whazit2u.multiply.com/

12 years 4 months ago #183117 by john_m
I think your moving in the right direction......the first 2 seem a little soft though...Keep shooting and you will only improve!!

Nikon D200
Nikon 50mm f1.8D, Tokina 28-80 f2.8, Nikon 75-300, Sigma 18-200, Nikon SB-600, Nikon SB-25, Promaster triggers

12 years 4 months ago #183184 by Nakean
Great shots for your first time! Both images seemed rather soft to me and perhaps this is from resizing your images so that they are ready for web. Try and sharpen your images before you resize them so that we can get the full feel for your final output.
One of the first thing I notice is the lack of consistent color between the shots. Now this can change very dramatically from shooting in different invironments and using flash and not using flash etc. Invest in a grey Card (2 bucks at your local camera store). This card will allow you to have each photo look and feel the same. A must for any pro!
Great exposure on the first but I would warm up the color a tad. Easy on the vignette as other have already pointed out. Whenever I'm playing with a new affect I try to set it to whatever I think looks good and then use half that amount. Generally, it's still a bit much :)
Don't worry about catch lights! They really aren't anything that you need to focus on right now. I would however focus on getting more light into your subjects eyes as I do feel they are the most important part of a portrait. They are the window to the soul. If you use any classic style lighting techniques and get enough light into the eyes, the catchlights will come all on their own. People will tell you how much they love them and you wouldn't have even tried :) Trust me!
The last image below needs a touch of warmth as well as a bit more contrast. Let the Histogram be your guide.
Your doing great and thanks for sharing! Hope I helped!
12 years 4 months ago #185629 by Joiemagic
:welcomeclan :welcomeclan :welcomeclan Welcome to the party....

For a frist attempt... good job... :thumbsup:

:agree: with what Gary said about the head on shots... change the angle a bit

Joie Fadde
Fadde Photography / Sports Shots, Etc.
"Capturing the Timeless Moments of Life"

On Flickr
www.flickr.com/photos/faddephotography/

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024