Portrait Critique please!!!

12 years 4 months ago - 12 years 4 months ago #186361 by barbaraw
Here is a picture of my two cousins. Please take a look and critique. I also have two other posts I am looking for feedback on. Please, if you have a moment, take a look. I am trying to refine some of my skills and need some feedback.

After some feedback, and looking at the photo with rested eyes, I realized I totally OVER processed that picture. Here is one with out such drastic edits and a new crop.

Attachments:
12 years 4 months ago #186404 by Pixelchix
Really nice expressions and very sharp. Again watch the background and your aperture

12 years 4 months ago #186438 by effron
Nice photo, cute kids. Just a couple small critiques: getting the flash off camera and diffusing would help a little, although the light is pretty good here, and secondly I might crop out a little on the left. Most important, keep shooting!........;)

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
12 years 4 months ago #186466 by robbie
That`s supersharp!!Watch the backgroup since it`s a little distracting or posed with the tree as the background since it`s a Christmas shot.

12 years 4 months ago #186543 by barbaraw
I think I need to set some rules for my self, like do not edit when you are tired. What a terrible edit that was. I appologize tremendously. I know it is the same picture, but I cropped it differently like effron suggested (Thank you) and I did not make the horrible mistake of darkening the background.. geez.. it looks a lot worse here then it did on my computer at 2 am last night :)

Attachments:
12 years 4 months ago - 12 years 4 months ago #186549 by Gary Trent photography
Really, I'm not a portraiture photo'er yet I feel that
I know what I see.
As already mentioned .... the background.

As with (most) all photography ...... KISS ("silly-that-is") .... lol

Here I find your back-drop pretty bizzy.
The idea (of course) is the xmas tree which is very good.
It adds to the story ..... very good.
It's the right-hand side that disturbs me the most.
Had you filled the entire backdrop with an out-of focus
xmas tree, I think the photo would be even more dramatic.

What do you think ?
:rolleyes

Barb says:
"I think I need to set some rules for my self"
Me: A good idea is to Google portraiture and study from there.
Try to edit in-camera while you take the pix as well.

GaryTrent photography (Canada)

Owner of
Art Effects Gallery,
Grand Forks, B.C. Canada

Please visit me on Multiply:
whazit2u.multiply.com/

12 years 4 months ago #186551 by barbaraw
Gary,

Thank you for the feedback. I agree that if I was going to go busy in the background with the tree, I should have gone ALL THE WAY with it. I think the tree in the background completely would have been much better. I will have to get the kids to sit still again one time when they are not eagerly waiting to open presents... lol I appreciate the feedback and gives me more to go around and play with.. Now if only I had my own kids or any in the neighborhood that I could practice with...

12 years 4 months ago #186553 by classicjazzTess
Very nice photo! I like how the children are in focus and a Great bit of energy flows from them...

Photo Comments
12 years 4 months ago - 12 years 4 months ago #186557 by Gary Trent photography
Barb says:
"if only I had my own kids or any in the neighborhood that
I could practice with"

Me: What a great idea !
Practice on the neighborhood children.
Kids are always eager to have their photos taken,
esp. when you play-back to them.
Watch their eyes light up ..... lol
You can even offer to e-mail them a shot and say
"your gonna be famous" ..... now watch the co-operation. LOL

Maybe an idea would be to have your camera set to
muti-images (3-5 frames) as they do move around a lot.
Then simply edit the good shots.
:rolleyes

Owner of
Art Effects Gallery,
Grand Forks, B.C. Canada

whazit2u.multiply.com/

12 years 4 months ago - 12 years 4 months ago #186563 by barbaraw
Gary,

Sadly, I have children available to me almost every day. The only reason I say sadly is, because I am a teacher. I wish I could spend the whole day just photographing them and practicing, however, I think I might not have a job if I do that! LOL. Now to find a way to convince my principal to let me take pictures instead of teach... :woohoo: Fortunately, Field trips offer many opportunties, well the right trips.. Here is a pic from the beginning of this school year.. one of my little angels.

Attachments:
12 years 4 months ago - 12 years 4 months ago #186566 by Gary Trent photography
WoW .... very excellent Barb!
Rest my case .... :toocrazy: ..... you got the idea!
:banana:

Owner of
Art Effects Gallery,
Grand Forks, B.C. Canada

whazit2u.multiply.com/

The following user(s) said Thank You: barbaraw
12 years 4 months ago #186593 by photobod
Well its been said about the background and the crop so nuff said, what I would like to say is widen that aperture as much as you can, blur that background when doing portraiture it will help lots, the last photo you posted is a wonderful portrait and would have been fantastic if the background had been blurred, credit to you in that you are good at self critique and see your faults thats the way towards improvement, please keep posting as the more you get good critique the faster you will learn. :judge: :judge: :judge: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :judge: :judge: :judge: :banana: :banana: :banana:

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

The following user(s) said Thank You: barbaraw
12 years 4 months ago #186608 by john_m
Well, came into this late lol. Your second shot is very nice. Great job.

Nikon D200
Nikon 50mm f1.8D, Tokina 28-80 f2.8, Nikon 75-300, Sigma 18-200, Nikon SB-600, Nikon SB-25, Promaster triggers

12 years 4 months ago #186911 by mj~shutterbugg
I think everyone covered it all. You know are very aware of what may be wrong and are also not afraid to learn- awesome!!! :welcomeclan :welcomeclan :welcomeclan

My only critique is in the final edit, I think the skin tone may be a tad washed out? I mean a tad or it could be my monitor. I know you are using on camera flash, maybe look into a diffuser till you get a speedlight. I am speaking of something like this... www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/388057-RE...Screen_Diffuser.html

Think Off-Center ~ George Carlin
www.mjbrennanphoto.com

12 years 4 months ago #186917 by Djradio
Cute photo. Reminds me of a candid shot. I don't know if it was meant as a candid picture or an actual posed shot. Overall I think you did a good job.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The best photography jobs right now are a mix of tried-and-true gigs like wedding photography and new jobs highlighting AI’s capabilities, travel, and videography.

May 15, 2024

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024