Here's one from today's shoot

11 years 11 months ago #230401 by John37
I'm not able to process them because my computer is acting strange. But at least I have some workkable images to start from. Cc always welcome!

"The most endangered species? The honest man!"
Attachments:
11 years 11 months ago #230418 by chasrich
This image of a very cute little slugger will live a long time in someones family album. It looks like it was staged in a studio - perfect layout of the gear and that kid - just adorable. Take a bow John - you earned it! :judge: :judge: :judge: :woohoo: :thumbsup:

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
11 years 11 months ago #230426 by Darrell
Excellent :judge:

You will not be judged as a photographer by the pictures you take, but by the pictures you show.
11 years 11 months ago - 11 years 11 months ago #230487 by John37
Thank you! The one big thing that I wish this photo had was the home plate. We went to a ball park but some teams were practicing. Here's another from the day. I'd like to get some feetback about the w/b, the sharpening and the smoothness of the photo. I struggled with the w/b and I applied some newly learned techniques for sharpening. I used a grey card in test shot but it came out too warm for my taste, when I used it for referrence. Thank you!

13a by daja adventures , on Flickr/76516088@N04/]daja adventures[/url], on Flickr

The mom wanted these to surprise dad on Father's day. I kind of like then.

15 by daja adventures , on Flickr

14 by daja adventures , on Flickr

11 years 11 months ago #230488 by icepics
Seems a little dark (but you said you hadn't processed yet), and I seem to not be able to help but notice little distractions, but you seem to have a knack for working with kids and certainly did well engaging him. Looks like there could be a future for you with kids' portraits maybe??

Sharon
Photo Comments
11 years 11 months ago #230492 by CWphotos
OH, MY GOSH...these are ADORABLE shots...the second one is PRICELESS! :judge: :judge: Way to GO!

What you are is so loud, I can't hear a word you say!
11 years 11 months ago #230509 by KCook
As for 13a, WB looks a teensy bit warm to me. But close enuf that fussing with the individual color channels may be better than just tweaking the K. Sharpness is quite nice. Smoothing may be a little overcooked.

JMHO

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

11 years 11 months ago #230521 by photobod
On the first one the skin looks to dark it needs some brightness adding on the other images I absolutely love them, great compositions nicely thought out ideas. :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :judge:

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

11 years 11 months ago #230591 by CWphotos
I hadn't seen the last two when I commented...they are neat, too. As you said, you hadn't processed them, yet...IMO they don't need a whole lot. :thumbsup:

11 years 11 months ago - 11 years 11 months ago #230608 by John37
Here's an edit of the 1st one. Is the WB okay on this one?
Thanks for all the feedback! :thumbsup:

4 by daja adventures , on Flickr

11 years 11 months ago #230616 by John37
Perhaps one of the most important things I took away from this session was that 'non-photagraghers' are an absolute goldmine when it comes to ideas and creative input. They aren't thinking about a process. They're already seeing the final result before they get there and have probably researched a zillion websites or have seen something they really liked. I'm already somewhat confined to thinking inside the box, both literally and figuratively. But I suspect that will change as I get more comfortable with my abilities.

11 years 11 months ago #230618 by KCook
The lighter tones are certainly improvement. But that adjustment moved things enough that it is difficult to compare the WB treatments. Forced to choose, I would also give the WB edge to the revision.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

11 years 11 months ago - 11 years 11 months ago #231189 by Shutter Buddies
If I were that little boys mama, I'd be VERY pleased with your work. :)

Check out my Kickstarter Project!
www.kickstarter.com/projects/2081896432/...se-to-shutterbuddies

www.shutterbuddies.com
www.etsy.com/shop/shutterbuddies
www.facebook.com/shutterbuddiespage

***PhotographyTalk users get 15% off their entire purchase with coupon code TALK15***

11 years 11 months ago #231227 by CWphotos

John37 wrote: Here's an edit of the 1st one. Is the WB okay on this one?
Thanks for all the feedback! :thumbsup:

4 by daja adventures , on Flickr

I hate to offer my opinion on WB, since this monitor is not calibrated, but on my end, it looks a tad too blue? Especially his skin...his face seems warmer than his arms & legs. He is in the shade, so maybe it would look strange if he was warmer? Is it OK to argue with Kelvin? :lol:

11 years 11 months ago #231228 by icepics
You sneaked some more in here since I saw the first one! The later ones are brighter (and I'm wondering with the first one if it's partly the background being a dark blackish-gray fence). I love the one with the big shoes, that's great, had me cracking up. And the ones of him walking in those shoes, his daddy should love those.

Nice composition, sharp images, you knocked those out of the ballpark (bad pun I know). The only thing otherwise I might have tried to do is either get both hands/arms or neither in the picture, but that might have been hard to do while he's walking. And you're probably right that as skills improve we get more comfortable with experimenting and trying new things.

Sharon
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024