1st Portrait Session -- Feedback, Please

11 years 8 months ago #243977 by garyrhook
This is my first attempt at portraiture. I had the privilege of doing a maternity session with a young couple after convincing them to be guinea pigs for me, and would appreciate any/all comments on the results. Don't be shy :-)

Most shots were taken with a Tamron 28-75 full out on a D5100, during evening hours. This makes me want to get an 85mm f/1.8 for this type of work.

There needs to be a way to refer to photos from one's PT albums... rather than uploading anew.

Photo Comments
Attachments:
11 years 8 months ago #243978 by Darrell
Picture #1, I would suggest showing more belly, Pics 2 & 3 are nice, pic #4 has some nice light effects but some over exposure and lens glare. :beerbang:

You will not be judged as a photographer by the pictures you take, but by the pictures you show.
11 years 8 months ago #244013 by icepics
Darrell's spot on as usual. I think with the first one too that the tree frames them nicely but that edge of a stone wall to the left seems distracting, I found my eyes wanting to go to it.

Maybe a vertical shot would have worked?? might have kept more of the mom-to-be's tummy showing. Or the horizontal shot reframed to keep that stone edge out of shot and a bit more of the couple's hands over her tummy in.

Sharon
Photo Comments
11 years 8 months ago - 11 years 8 months ago #244031 by Joiemagic
:agree:
I agree about #1... More belly and loose the wall on the right side. Their pose is perfect for the shot and what you were trying to convery. Added note... the hands/fingers being chopped off takes a bit away also. Overall, it is a good shot, just some room for improvement.

#2 & 3 are good shots, especially #3. I would say that is my favorite shot of the set.

Good work...

Joie Fadde
Fadde Photography / Sports Shots, Etc.
"Capturing the Timeless Moments of Life"

On Flickr
www.flickr.com/photos/faddephotography/

The following user(s) said Thank You: garyrhook
11 years 8 months ago #244089 by Arkangel7x3
:agree: I agree with what has been said about number one the stone wall and aiming a little lower or just taking another step back would have gotten the mothers stomach better. Number 2 is a great shot just a little lighter on the expouser and try not to crop peoples heads like that. One thing you want to be careful with is how are the lines are on the sides of your photo. is there something making a weird diagonal or being cut off. Theses things tend to grab peoples attention and divert there focus from the main subject. For number three this is a common shot we use at the studio I work for I recommend taking a half step to the left on that photo. I have found if i have a really nice idea and i think it looks good from were I'm standing move around the focal point sometimes what looks good one way will end up looking great another and you end up surprising yourself. On number four you have to watch out for that glare it's an annoying thing. I would recommend again perhaps taking a half step or whole step back and/or to the left and right don't be afraid to take 3-4 shots of the same thing you'll be surprised on how in a sec taking the photo of the same thing seems to change. Someone's yawning, looking away, closed there eyes, had a funny or odd face on etc. one thing that can help that doesn't cost to much I'm not sure what the official name of them are but its an adapter that goes around the lens and looks kinda like a small box with flaps similar looking to what they have on stage lights. that would have helped you with light reflecting into the lens the way it did.

"If it's to good to be true best to shoot it again"
11 years 8 months ago #244133 by rmeyer7
#1 - excellent lighting! Like everyone else said, needs more belly and the stone wall could be cropped out. Also, for portraiture in general, I always like to see some eyes -- not necessarily both of them looking at the camera or anything, but at least one person's eyes being visible would be an improvement IMHO. And always -- always -- be careful about cutting off parts of hands/feet/limbs when shooting portraits. (I notice this mostly because I still make this mistake sometimes...it actually ruined one of my best shots from a portrait session recently!)

#2 - nice, might benefit from a little more fill light but not necessarily. I like the rim lighting a lot. It's a little too tight for me though.

#3 - good composition, classic maternity shot but a lot of photographers will shoot it straight on. I like your angle better. Only gripe I have is it looks underexposed to me.

#4 - I like this one. Does have a little lens flare, which can be avoided by shooting with a hood. But it doesn't bother me in this shot. If it were me, I'd probably enhance the catch lights in their eyes a little in post and bump the contrast up slightly overall.

11 years 8 months ago #244230 by Arkangel7x3

rmeyer7 wrote: #1 - excellent lighting! Like everyone else said, needs more belly and the stone wall could be cropped out. Also, for portraiture in general, I always like to see some eyes -- not necessarily both of them looking at the camera or anything, but at least one person's eyes being visible would be an improvement IMHO. And always -- always -- be careful about cutting off parts of hands/feet/limbs when shooting portraits. (I notice this mostly because I still make this mistake sometimes...it actually ruined one of my best shots from a portrait session recently!)

#2 - nice, might benefit from a little more fill light but not necessarily. I like the rim lighting a lot. It's a little too tight for me though.

#3 - good composition, classic maternity shot but a lot of photographers will shoot it straight on. I like your angle better. Only gripe I have is it looks underexposed to me.

#4 - I like this one. Does have a little lens flare, which can be avoided by shooting with a hood. But it doesn't bother me in this shot. If it were me, I'd probably enhance the catch lights in their eyes a little in post and bump the contrast up slightly overall.

That's it a hood!! that's what its called

"If it's to good to be true best to shoot it again"
11 years 8 months ago #245155 by garyrhook
First off, thanks for taking the time to comment. Much appreciated! Overall, I expected more criticisms on any number of facets. So I'm pretty encouraged that I'm moving in the right direction. I've started looking at the work other do to learn and compare, but there's nothing quite like an unbiased critical eye.

These are just a few of a fair number of shots, neither the best nor the worst.

#1) Agree on the distraction of the wall. I did not take the time to really look at the entire frame, but was focused on them and their pose. Agree on more baby, too, and the fingers, but alas, in this shot that's not an option. I have others, fortunately. I usually pull back farther to leave margin, then crop PP, for just a situation as this.

As for the pose, the couple actually prefers the shots where they're looking down. I was simply trying different things. So the inability to see eyes is, IMO, subjective and a choice. But I appreciate the perspective.

#2) Gonna disagree on the cropping here. Again, I think it's a choice. The background on this one is also not ideal, and perhaps a bit distracting. Should have moved around a bit.

#3) Most shots like this are directly from the front, and I do have one from that angle. Just wanted something different. Could it be brighter? Sure.

#4) Yes, it's a lens hood, and yes, I have one. I'm surprised that no one considered this a choice. I know that there's lens flare, and I rather like it on this shot, along with the backlighting. If it wasn't intentional I would never have posted it. But I get that some folks don't care for the shot, which is fine. My goal for a portrait seesion like this would always be lots of variety and to try different, unexpected things. I'll have to try some more work on this shot in post to see if I can improve it. Thanks for the suggestions!

I think the best reminder here is to move around, once I have a position that I like. Left/right/up/down and don't limit myself. Also working on slowing down and taking the time to consider every aspect of a shot, making sure I don't overlook anything.

Again, thanks much!

Photo Comments
11 years 8 months ago #245259 by mclayton
Just wanted to say these are really good. Especially for a 1st session!

11 years 8 months ago #246420 by GmaC
Love the pictures and all the advice everyone has given you. I learned from your post and the responses. Thanks for sharing! (I make the same mistakes and my pictures aren't always as sharp as yours)

~Capture Life~

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024