Show off your self-portraits/Your proudest portrait moments

11 years 6 months ago #257187 by Leilanee
I always love seeing what innovative photographers do with their self-portraits. I never see one that has that stereotypical "picture perfect" standard. I always find there's something captivating about the self-portraits... maybe because when you are your own subject, you don't have any standards to live up to but your own.

Have any of you tried for artsy self portraits? Post them here and tell me what makes them special to you!

Here's my favourite self-portrait:

The reason I like this one so much is because nothing about it is fake. I play around a lot with different photo ideas using myself when I don't have any other models/subjects around, but I always put a lot of thought and effort into preparing for the photos (makeup and hair and getting my angles right, trying to find something flattering.)
This photo is as natural as you could ever see me... I don't have makeup on, I left my hair curly (the horror!) I left my glasses on (which I only ever take off to take a photo) and I left the flaws in my skin where they stand.
I actually took this photo during an emotional breakdown I had over the summer, and I certainly didn't plan to take any photos that day. I simply looked in the mirror and was miraculously able to acknowledge how beautiful I looked even though I was a mess, I had been lying around in bed for the past few days, and I had just been crying (an annual occurrence for me, at best.)
For the simple fact that even in my strongest moments I have a hard time feeling good about myself, I figured a portrait was in order. This photo took a total of about 5 minutes to set up, take, and edit, and it's the one self-portrait that I value the most.

Aside from self-portraits, are there any portraits you have taken that hold a lot of emotional value to you?

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: chasrich
11 years 6 months ago - 11 years 6 months ago #257190 by McBeth Photography
That is an outstanding self portrait Tess, it has a truthfulness about it. Well done.

I don't have a favorite selfie yet, but I have taken a portrait or two that mean a lot to me. This is a portrait of my brother, Bob. He loves working with young people and teaching them leadership skills as well as sports, so becoming a high school teacher and basketball coach really wasn't a stretch for him.

This shot was taken after the final second ticked off the clock for his team's first state championship, a goal that had eluded him for 15 years was now realized.

It is what it is.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leilanee
11 years 6 months ago #257200 by Rob pix4u2

This is my self portrait. The items shown represent my multifaceted life.

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

Attachments:
11 years 6 months ago #257208 by chasrich

I wanted a little creativity on this shot and needed a selfie for a project in another group.

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
Attachments:
11 years 6 months ago - 11 years 6 months ago #257221 by garyrhook
Current favorite SP, taken the same day as my avatar shot.

Photo Comments
Attachments:
11 years 6 months ago - 11 years 6 months ago #257296 by Leilanee
Awesome shots!! I love to see the backgrounds behind peoples' work :D

Chasrich, I love it!
I've seen lots of people do things like this:

But you see it so often, it's nice to find a fresh take on it x)

PS: Rob, is that a film camera, or a DSLR?? And what's the origin of that stethoscope? Has medicine been part of your line of work, or does it allude to hockey injuries?

Attachments:
11 years 6 months ago #257509 by Rob pix4u2
I was a Registered Nurse in my first life, I began in Photography with film as a child so the early film camera is representative of that. I shoot Pro hockey for an international magazine now hence the pucks and stick. The stethoscope, tourniquet and hemodialysis clamps represent what I did for the majority of my time in Nursing.

Rob Huelsman Sr.

11 years 6 months ago #257513 by Leilanee

Rob pix4u2 wrote: I was a Registered Nurse in my first life, I began in Photography with film as a child so the early film camera is representative of that. I shoot Pro hockey for an international magazine now hence the pucks and stick. The stethoscope, tourniquet and hemodialysis clamps represent what I did for the majority of my time in Nursing.

Very neat! Cool to hear a bit of your background :) Do you still use that camera?

11 years 6 months ago #257524 by Rob pix4u2
Yes I do still use the camera for film shooting. It is a Nikon FE body with an MD 12 motor drive and an SB 16 speedlight with a Quantum battery 1 power source.

Rob Huelsman Sr.

11 years 5 months ago #258899 by nedward50
Here are 2 recent ones from me. Same session just different lighting. My self portraits are seldom me but are alter egos or persons.

Is that a cuckoo I hear...... Ned.

Attachments:
11 years 5 months ago - 11 years 5 months ago #258902 by nedward50
Leilanee, Its a great shot and so natural.
Cheers
Ned
11 years 5 months ago #258904 by nedward50
Still not sure about the guy in the glasses, editor in chief you say? Watch him Chas!
11 years 5 months ago - 11 years 5 months ago #258905 by nedward50
Nice one Gary, is this the good or bad side? both my sides are loony.

I read this recently and reckon your best side is shown.

earthsky.org/human-world/which-side-of-y...e-left-research-says

Cheers
Ned
11 years 5 months ago #258907 by nedward50
Good to see you are active Rob, my nurse keeps trying to up the meds but i keep em under my tongue till she's gone.
11 years 5 months ago #258915 by garyrhook

nedward50 wrote: Nice one Gary, is this the good or bad side?
I read this recently and reckon your best side is shown.

Yes, that's my left side, as shown. My mother-in-law does not like that shot; says I look mean. A buddy said I looked like an MMA fighter.

"Best" is left to others to decide ;)

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024