Practice portrait and Omega Reflector

3 years 7 months ago - 3 years 7 months ago #477104 by Georgian-Si-Valentina-Mihaila
Shot with only one bare flash. I've positioned the flash behind and above the subject pointed just above the subject head into Omega reflector. Once I had my camera and flash adjusted, I did minor adjustment on the distance between reflector/subject/flash. I've used the same setup for a Doctor Office the next day and worked really well, while only using one camera, one flash, one reflector and one pop up background. What do you guys think about this technique?

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

3 years 7 months ago #477132 by KCook
Great!  If you had not specified it, I would never have noticed that was a 1 light shot.
:cheers:

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

The following user(s) said Thank You: Georgian-Si-Valentina-Mihaila

3 years 7 months ago #477168 by msmith55
Looks like it's paying dividends! Great shot, and such a simple set up too. Thanks for sharing.

Photo Comments

3 years 7 months ago #477169 by Denise Lattimer
Great job with this! What was the distance you used between reflector, subject, and flash, if you don't mind me asking?

Photo Comments

3 years 7 months ago #477172 by cybersholt
Very nice, it's got the perfect level of light. Especially for a single flash. One tip about the forum and attachments, after uploading be sure to hit the insert button to embed it into the post. I've done this for you here as an example. Keep up the great work!

Thank you for making PhotographyTalk.com your photography community of choice.
Photo Comments

3 years 7 months ago #477271 by Georgian-Si-Valentina-Mihaila
Thank you Denise! In this particular photo the subject was about 3ft in front of the reflector and about 8ft in front of the background. If you move closer to the background you will get stronger rim light and less light in the front, due to stronger light fallout. The beauty of this setup is that if you place the reflector in front of your subject face you get "clam shell" or paramount type of light. You can move the reflector to the camera left or right and little higher, adjust your flash direction and zoom to make sure you still get rim light and now you get loop lighting. For this you only need a regular reflector. Turn your subject face and you get broad or short lighting. Also, this setup is effective with natural backgrounds. Just open up your aperture to get the background out of focus. The stand should be behind the subject and the flash out of the frame. The stand that will be visible will blend with the background pretty nice. Experience with it and have fun. Get a piece of white foam or a cheap reflector and cut a hole (2x3 format) about 20x15in and play with it before you buy an Omega reflector.

3 years 7 months ago #477272 by Georgian-Si-Valentina-Mihaila
Thank you cybersholt, I will use your advice from now on!

3 years 7 months ago #477289 by Georgian-Si-Valentina-Mihaila
A couple more shots, this time creating a broad and short lighting with the same setup. 

Attachments:

3 years 7 months ago #477297 by TGonzo
So all this is from one flash and reflector?   :thumbsup:

Photo Comments

3 years 7 months ago #477328 by KCook
I would say the short lighting is more successful.  The bright hand detracts from the broad example.  Different topic, but didya know there are photographers who never use short lighting? :rolleyes

The main thing missing from all of these is some sort of kicker to give the eyes a nice catchlight.  But that would add a light, oh well.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

3 years 7 months ago #477331 by Finn
:thumbsup:

Photo Comments

3 years 5 months ago #482962 by Georgian-Si-Valentina-Mihaila
One bare flash, behind and above the subject.

3 years 5 months ago #482963 by Georgian-Si-Valentina-Mihaila
Oh boy, I still have to meet a woman that want to appear larger in photos. Short lighting is essential with woman. Oh....and I leave in Texas;-)

3 years 5 months ago #483246 by Peter Nunez
Glamorous 

Photo Comments

3 years 5 months ago #484167 by Don Fischer
I wasn't paying attention to the light but the second and third are relly nice. The first one leave's me cold. great job of lighting but a cow girl theme and way to much make up!

1.62M

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

In this Sony RX10 IV review, learn about the specs and features that make this one of the best, most well-equipped bridge cameras on the market today.

Nov 12, 2019

In this Nikon D3500 review, learn all about this camera's features, specs, and capabilities, as well as details about compatible lenses, the camera's pros and cons, and its price.

Nov 06, 2019

In this Panasonic G9 review, we take a look at its essential features, its build quality, compatible lenses, and other crucial details to help you decide if this is the camera for you.

Nov 04, 2019

In this Canon EOS 7D Mark II review, we outline the pros and cons of this camera and identify whether it's still a good buy in 2019.

Oct 25, 2019

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Winter photography can be a challenge for sure. But with these tips for winter photography, you can prepare yourself (and your gear) to get the best shots.

Nov 13, 2019

One of the critical aspects of creating awesome vlogs is having footage that's stabilized. With these methods for how to stabilize a camera, you'll have plenty of options for smooth video.

Nov 13, 2019

Photo by Cristian Grecu on Unsplash A Chinese university student tumbled off of one of China's largest mountains to her in death...

Nov 12, 2019

Photo by Karina on Unsplash Who among us doesn't have the intrinsically human desire to get absolutely smashed, incredibly naked...

Nov 12, 2019

Photo by Tim Bennett on Unsplash In a year of continuously bad news for Facebook, it turns out the iOS Facebook app has been...

Nov 12, 2019

In this Sony RX10 IV review, learn about the specs and features that make this one of the best, most well-equipped bridge cameras on the market today.

Nov 12, 2019

The new Panasonic Lumix S Pro lenses have been announced, and they have some impressive specs. But will they be worth the huge price tags?

Nov 12, 2019

nikon d5100, nikon d5100 review, nikon d5100 specs, nikon d5100 price, nikon d5100 features, used nikon d5100

Nov 12, 2019