Summer Photoshoot with a Friend (Comments and Critiques Welcomed)

3 years 3 months ago #706346 by iKokomo
I have been on here for a long time, but this is the first time I have asked for comments and critiques on a photo session.A good friend of mine offered to model so I can get some practice.My question for you is, what are things that I did well, and what are things that I should improve upon?Thanks a lot!

Attachments:
3 years 3 months ago #706425 by Shadowfixer1
You either need to crop the images and /or get closer. There is too much headroom in my opinion. A 4x3 ratio is more pleasing than the 3x2. Your fill light seems too be a little too much. I would drop it a half stop to a stop and see how it looks. The last image is a good idea of a shoot through but the foreground is too bright and distracting. The eyes are looking off a little too much in my opinion. If you doing the no eye contact thing, it seems like a little less off center would be more appealing. These are just my opinions. Take them with a grain of salt. 
3 years 3 months ago #706470 by Suni Park
:thumbsup:

3 years 3 months ago #707517 by Kelly Emery
The way she looked in the 2nd shot looks a bit awkward for me. 

3 years 3 months ago - 3 years 3 months ago #707715 by marcio_napoli
Hi, 

I have some tips that drastically improves people photography, some may not look like it works at first glance, but trust me, it improves more than I can put it in words.

The most important tip:

Always, always place your strobe off camera, and place it much closer to the model.

You don't want your light to splash the model from a distance. Flash must be 2 meters away (maybe 3m and not much more) from the model and always, always above her head.

For a general rule: 2 meters away from the model, on a 45 degree angle to either side, and at least 1 meter above her head.

This improves lighting dramatically, like 500% compared to set up most people usually think of (like frontal strobe, far away from the model, at maximum power).

If possible, use a wider angle (35mm is a good choice for environmental shots).

Whenever one starts using wider FLs, images improve over night.

Here's an example below I believe at 24mm.

It looks like an awesome idea to place objects in the foreground and blur then away, but this best way to improve shots is to not use those techniques related to excessive blur (either foreground or background), and instead put all your coins on quality of lighting.

Here's a golden tip: 

Use colored gels on your backlight.  All strobes can and may use colored gels, but for a start, color only your backlight.

I explain that technique in more details in my YT channel.

Please check the 7:25 mark on this video:

Forest shoot:

Please note the blue-orange explanation.

Using gels to color your lighting is one of those tips that takes years of experience to realize how much of a difference it makes. 

I started using it heavily as my go-to lighting technique after many years of a pro career. I haven't realized how awesome the results could be until much later down the road, even though I was a strobist since day 1.

Coloring your lights is a game changer. 

Trust me, this alone is something that will make your photography stand out miles away.

That's it :D

EDIT: the video above is a good start (7:25 mark is where you wanna go for the lighting stuff), but thought I should post more examples of how awesome colored lighting can be, so a few more :D

Sorry if some look too dark, editing is still beta. Have to brighten those up! :D

Attachments:
3 years 1 month ago #711875 by Jin Hyuk Kwon
Too much light for the first shot and the facial expression of the second shot seems to be unnatural. 

3 years 1 month ago #712306 by Jack Mason
Thanks for the tips. Those are pretty nice shots. 

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024