Spring Give-A-Way Winners Announced!!

12 years 11 months ago #75387 by Baydream

photobod wrote:

bhowdy wrote: Congratulations to all the winners. So many great images were posted each winner should be proud of their accomplishment.

I do have to agree with the Ninja a bit though as well. The "Photo Contest" winners probably should not have been announced without the photos being posted as well, in my humble opinion. (And yes I realize that a portion of the rules criteria was participation as well)

With over 500 topic thread pages worth of entries and comments it is impossible to go back thru and admire the winning entries. I read the posts, and looked at the images every few days but I also know that some folks submitted more than one entry ... some folks many more than "more than one" as well. Which is fine and should be considered as participation.

I personally don't enter lots of photo contests but each of those that I have entered always post (or display if a live contest) the winning photos, at the time of the winning entries announcement.

Did I enter photos in this contest .... Yes ... Did any of my images win a prize .... No. But I did not expect them to do so .... I learn from viewing and reviewing other photographer's work, this seems like a great learning opportunity for others.

I'm just offering my 2 cents worth as an opinion to help this site continue to grow and improve.

With over 500 topic thread pages worth of entries and comments

I think the above sentence says it all, I also wish the photos were up with the winners list but it was probably to big a task to do that so quickly, we are all going to have to be patient whilst they work out the best way of doing it, this one contest almost blew PT apart, lets give them a chance to recover from the shock.

:agree:
The format of posting the photos in a forum thread makes it difficult to find the "original" post. Perhaps this was a learning experience and the next contest will be done differently.
Perhaps if we start a thread with suggestions for the next contest it will give the site owners some ideas. I'll start one now.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 11 months ago #75393 by TheNissanMan
Only just really joining this forum I haven't seen (or looked into) how competitions are posted, is not a case of having one thread for entries, one thread for discussions and a final therad to announce the winners ?

12 years 11 months ago #75405 by bhowdy

TheNissanMan wrote: Only just really joining this forum I haven't seen (or looked into) how competitions are posted, is not a case of having one thread for entries, one thread for discussions and a final therad to announce the winners ?

Not at this time NissanMan ... There was one thread for posting images and the same topic was used for comments. As BayDream stated ... It became very difficult to find an original post. But then again that is a good thing in a way as it is a testament to the popularity of the contest.

Bob Howdeshell

"If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera" ~ Lewis Hine

12 years 11 months ago #76225 by Stealthy Ninja

Turbogirlie wrote:

photobod wrote:

RDelean wrote: lmbo!!! Now that picture is funny....and creative! Love it. I don't know many people with friends that would do that. B)

knowing Ninja as we do on this forum none of us would be surprised if he persuaded all these characters to do this for him, he is after all The Stealthy Ninja

I'd hardly call him Stealthy Ninja.....not much stealth in his postings on this thread after all! :silly: :silly: :silly:

Not to mention this ironically bright suit I wear. You should see it full length... in fact here's a (blurry) picture of me in my full suit (yes it's REALLY me. Even my avatars are me).

BTW I do laugh when people point out the obvious, maybe not for the reasons they wish. :whistle:
Attachments:
12 years 11 months ago - 12 years 11 months ago #76227 by Stealthy Ninja
I'm gonna comment inside the quote in BOLD RED

bhowdy wrote: Congratulations to all the winners. So many great images were posted each winner should be proud of their accomplishment.

Yes, you guys put in more effort than I bothered to. It must have been difficult. :rolleyes :p

I do have to agree with the Ninja a bit though as well. The "Photo Contest" winners probably should not have been announced without the photos being posted as well, in my humble opinion. (And yes I realize that a portion of the rules criteria was participation as well)

Of course I agree with this one. Ha!

With over 500 topic thread pages worth of entries and comments it is impossible to go back thru and admire the winning entries. I read the posts, and looked at the images every few days but I also know that some folks submitted more than one entry ... some folks many more than "more than one" as well. Which is fine and should be considered as participation.

Yeh, they worked hard (honestly) to keep up. I totally gave up on the thread as it was moving way to fast for my level of interest in the competition itself. I have the only good prize there already (the PT bag). I'm also a smugmug member so the other interesting prize ( Zenfolio prize) wasn't a draw for me :whistle: That said, I'm sure the winners love whatever they got. And they truly deserve it for their Herculean effort keeping up with all those posts.

I personally don't enter lots of photo contests but each of those that I have entered always post (or display if a live contest) the winning photos, at the time of the winning entries announcement.

Yes, precisely

Did I enter photos in this contest .... Yes ... Did any of my images win a prize .... No. But I did not expect them to do so .... I learn from viewing and reviewing other photographer's work, this seems like a great learning opportunity for others.

I agree. I didn't expect to win anything because of the "participation" section of the rules. But as I said, I didn't really want any of the prizes and honestly I have enough money to buy them if I wanted to :beerbang:

I'm just offering my 2 cents worth as an opinion to help this site continue to grow and improve.

Oh and:
12 years 11 months ago #78483 by Turbogirlie

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

Turbogirlie wrote:

photobod wrote:

RDelean wrote: lmbo!!! Now that picture is funny....and creative! Love it. I don't know many people with friends that would do that. B)

knowing Ninja as we do on this forum none of us would be surprised if he persuaded all these characters to do this for him, he is after all The Stealthy Ninja

I'd hardly call him Stealthy Ninja.....not much stealth in his postings on this thread after all! :silly: :silly: :silly:

Not to mention this ironically bright suit I wear. You should see it full length... in fact here's a (blurry) picture of me in my full suit (yes it's REALLY me. Even my avatars are me).

BTW I do laugh when people point out the obvious, maybe not for the reasons they wish. :whistle:

You got me there SN! :agree: B)

Luv Turbogirlie

xxx

12 years 11 months ago #78657 by Stealthy Ninja
Those green neon pants are actually my legs.
12 years 11 months ago #79399 by Turbogirlie

Stealthy Ninja wrote: Those green neon pants are actually my legs.

So your alter ego is The Incredible Hulk?:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Luv Turbogirlie

xxx

12 years 11 months ago #79425 by chasrich

Turbogirlie wrote:

Only below the waist... like most dudes!

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 11 months ago #79509 by Baydream

chasrich wrote:

Turbogirlie wrote:

Bragging again, Charles?

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 11 months ago #79553 by chasrich

Baydream wrote:

chasrich wrote:

Turbogirlie wrote:

Bragging again, Charles?

No - just commenting on some of the males I know. Not like us John... :woohoo:

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 11 months ago #79749 by Stealthy Ninja
One of my legs isn't really a leg :blink:
12 years 11 months ago #80149 by cod
Wow, thanks to photographytalk for this. I never expect anything from random draws. I had completely forgotten about this give-a-way. I just now came across the post almost by accident.. A pleasant and useful surprise.

(And my apologies for hijacking this thread away from important ninja issues.)

Thanks,
Chris

Chris O'Donoghue
Winnipeg, Canada
codonoghue.prosite.com

12 years 11 months ago #80257 by photobod

cod wrote: Wow, thanks to photographytalk for this. I never expect anything from random draws. I had completely forgotten about this give-a-way. I just now came across the post almost by accident.. A pleasant and useful surprise.

(And my apologies for hijacking this thread away from important ninja issues.)

Thanks,
Chris

Getting in the way of Ninja issues is a common problem on here, as he is everywhere but nowhere, so prepare to duck.

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

12 years 10 months ago #106895 by Turbogirlie
I just wanted to say thanks again - I received my $100 cheque in the post last week - apologies for not saying earlier that it'd arrived but I have been recuperating from an op on my neck so please forgive me. What an amazing experience this has been!

Luv Turbogirlie

xxx

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Latest Articles

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024