Birthday present D7000 or D5100 for 15 year old, also what lighting equipment?

12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #102651 by mj~shutterbugg
I don't shoot Nikon so I can't comment on what to buy in specifics. Does he have a camera he has access to NOW? What is that? Has he ever tried a D-SLR? I would let him lay hands on a body- one may feel better than the other to him. I am not disputing Nikon quality but I like the feel of Canon personally. I like Rob's, SN's and Barry's comments. I would make sure to get a body he can grow with (this requires him being very serious about getting into photography), a good lens, a good speedlight, a tripod, and some education in photography. Let him spend some of his money, providing he has money, on this as well- he can swing the memory cards and maybe a battery. Getting him to invest in his dream is as important as everyone else investing in it with him. I am a firm believer in education so I would make sure that's in the package as well- that will really provide him with a foundation to move forward on.

Think Off-Center ~ George Carlin
www.mjbrennanphoto.com

12 years 10 months ago #102655 by icepics
Some education - well said MJ! Rob and Barry made good points too about used lenses, esp. starting out. At his age he's probably going to still be figuring out what he wants to do someday and needs some basics to grow with.

Eventually he may develop a preference for studio work or photojournalism, but now he might be exploring both, so too much equipment beyond a camera and a couple of lenses might end up being a waste of money. If he gets more into photojournalism he may not end up needing a tripod etc.as much as if he eventually does studio work.

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 10 months ago #102665 by mj~shutterbugg
I totally agree about heading into the used market. I wanted to add that at 15 I had no clue where I would end up and what I would end up doing. I guess to me it feels extravagant to spend such a sum of money on a 15 yr old. He may out grow his passion and he has supreme equipment just going to waste. I know that sounds witchy but I can't help but say it.

Think Off-Center ~ George Carlin
www.mjbrennanphoto.com

12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #102679 by McBeth Photography

mj~shutterbugg wrote: I totally agree about heading into the used market. I wanted to add that at 15 I had no clue where I would end up and what I would end up doing. I guess to me it feels extravagant to spend such a sum of money on a 15 yr old. He may out grow his passion and he has supreme equipment just going to waste. I know that sounds witchy but I can't help but say it.

Great post MJ....very valid point about this 15 year old, no offense, but he's 15. It may be a good idea to buy the gear for $2,400 because there is a chance that it may inspire him to strive for greatness in his art and it may not. Perhaps a simpler camera package and some great schooling or tutorship would be the best option because the nicer camera doesn't come with skills, training, and inspiration built in. :)

It is what it is.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mj~shutterbugg
12 years 10 months ago #102705 by icepics
Good point. Got me thinking at that age I was going to major in journalism, having been news editor for our school paper. Then I worked at summer camp w/kids w/special needs so even though I ended up being co-editor of our high school paper, by my senior year I decided to go into special ed.

I don't think it would be a waste getting him a camera, whether photography becomes a career or a hobby or not, a learning experience is great and so is encouraging him to pursue his interests. But getting alot of equipment for now may not be worth it. Might end up like it often does w/kids, eventually sitting in the basement w/the drum set, guitar, or whatever.

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 10 months ago #103316 by Gene.Culley
Heck of birthday gift!

Photo Comments
12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #105620 by Stealthy Ninja

McBeth Photography wrote:

Stealthy Ninja wrote: To continue from my previous post...

Here's what I would buy:
D7000 kit (with 18-105) $1500
Sigma 50 1.4 $500 (I own this lens myself and it's excellent)
SB-900 flash (he can control this off camera too using his camera) $470

Total: $2470 (surely you can go the $70 extra dollars).

Alternatively get the Nikon 50 1.8G ($220) and you'll be in under budget. It won't be as good as the sigma, but it's a good "growing" lens. If you get the Sigma he should be able to use that for many, many years.

:)

My list would be a little different

D7000 body only $1200
Nikkor 80-200mm 2.8D MK-II .... used from KEH for ex is about $600
Tamron 17-50 2.8 ... about $400-500 new
AF Nikkor 50mm 1.4D ... About 300 new
And a tripod!

Good choices too. :)

Now to the people saying "he's only 15".

15 isn't 8 years old. I bought my 8 year old daughter a water/drop/dust/ice proof camera for her trip to Australia. It was about $250USD.

Now, if she were 15, I'd defiantly have gotten her something better (D7000 style) as I believe she would be mature/skilled enough to use it properly. Just because someone is 15 doesn't mean they're not serious or gonna abuse the camera. Just as, just because someone is 51 doesn't mean they're gonna be serious and not abuse their camera. Don't make this logical fallacy.

He's at a age he can start doing stuff seriously and such. Photography is a good hobby for him to do and if he's into it, start him off well. You can always sell it for close to what you pay for it (if you buy quality stuff that is) if it turns out he doesn't want to do it anymore... also you can just keep the gear. It's good to have some good quality camera gear around. :)

Maybe I'm not the best one to ask though, because to me a D7000 is a cheap camera and $2500USD isn't that much to spend LOL
12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #105632 by The Time Capturer

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

McBeth Photography wrote:

Stealthy Ninja wrote: To continue from my previous post...

Here's what I would buy:
D7000 kit (with 18-105) $1500
Sigma 50 1.4 $500 (I own this lens myself and it's excellent)
SB-900 flash (he can control this off camera too using his camera) $470

Total: $2470 (surely you can go the $70 extra dollars).

Alternatively get the Nikon 50 1.8G ($220) and you'll be in under budget. It won't be as good as the sigma, but it's a good "growing" lens. If you get the Sigma he should be able to use that for many, many years.

:)

My list would be a little different

D7000 body only $1200
Nikkor 80-200mm 2.8D MK-II .... used from KEH for ex is about $600
Tamron 17-50 2.8 ... about $400-500 new
AF Nikkor 50mm 1.4D ... About 300 new
And a tripod!

Good choices too. :)

Now to the people saying "he's only 15".

15 isn't 8 years old. I bought my 8 year old daughter a water/drop/dust/ice proof camera for her trip to Australia. It was about $250USD.

Now, if she were 15, I'd defiantly have gotten her something better (D7000 style) as I believe she would be mature/skilled enough to use it properly. Just because someone is 15 doesn't mean they're not serious or gonna abuse the camera. Just as, just because someone is 51 doesn't mean they're gonna be serious and not abuse their camera. Don't make this logical fallacy.

He's at a age he can start doing stuff seriously and such. Photography is a good hobby for him to do and if he's into it, start him off well. You can always sell it for close to what you pay for it (if you buy quality stuff that is) if it turns out he doesn't want to do it anymore... also you can just keep the gear. It's good to have some good quality camera gear around. :)

Maybe I'm not the best one to ask though, because to me a D7000 is a cheap camera and $2500USD isn't that much to spend LOL

I was about 18 when I bought my first "real" camera. If I had one when I was 15, my interest in photography would've started sooner.

BTW, I've let a 10 year old and a 7 year old use my camera. The bells and whistles were too much to understand right away but, put it in auto mode, and they handled it like a pro.

Don't underestimate kids ... they see the world in a completely different way than we do and, as long as they are mature enough to handle the camera, age is no boundary. If they aren't mature enough, just keep an eye on them and give them little reminders that it's not a toy and wasn't designed to be swung around by the strap.

You know your child better than anyone. If you think it's appropriate, go for it. You can go on photo shoots together and compare images afterwards. That would be a lot of fun.

Sure, practice makes perfect but, unless you learn from your mistakes, you are only perfecting your ability to fail.
12 years 10 months ago #105646 by Stealthy Ninja

The Time Capturer wrote: I was about 18 when I bought my first "real" camera. If I had one when I was 15, my interest in photography would've started sooner.

BTW, I've let a 10 year old and a 7 year old use my camera. The bells and whistles were too much to understand right away but, put it in auto mode, and they handled it like a pro.

Don't underestimate kids ... they see the world in a completely different way than we do and, as long as they are mature enough to handle the camera, age is no boundary. If they aren't mature enough, just keep an eye on them and give them little reminders that it's not a toy and wasn't designed to be swung around by the strap.

You know your child better than anyone. If you think it's appropriate, go for it. You can go on photo shoots together and compare images afterwards. That would be a lot of fun.

I agree so much my neck hurts.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024