Selling photos on Shutterstock??

13 years 4 months ago #10185 by VictorS
I'm curious on what you can earn from a site like this. How much do you get paid for each time someone down loads your photo(s)?

Thanks for the input guys and gals.

-V

Photo Comments
13 years 4 months ago #10204 by Patty Ganahl
Wouldn't know, they didn't approve me :( I tried a few weeks ago, and none of my photos made the cut. I'll try again in a few months.

Photo Comments
13 years 4 months ago #10228 by Gammill
I've heard about sites like that, I would be interested in knowing this myself. Heck if I can make a buck with my photos, I'd be happy :woohoo:

Photo Comments
13 years 4 months ago #10347 by HawaiiGuy

Patty Ganahl wrote: Wouldn't know, they didn't approve me :( I tried a few weeks ago, and none of my photos made the cut. I'll try again in a few months.

I tried a year ago and didn't get approved either, going to wait till I get my skills up before knocking on that door again.

13 years 4 months ago #10368 by crystal
You get paid pennies per download. If someone download your image you may make about .20 cents. I am a member to shutterstock. However I was not accepted. To be accepted your photos need to be 100% excellent quality. No hint of noise, bright, crisp, selling subject, the correct composition, exposure etc.. Nothing can be wrong with the photo. You have to submit 10 photos. Those 10 need to be accepted before you can continue to submit more and try to sell them. Out of all the microstock sites, shutter stock is one of the hardest to get in.
13 years 4 months ago - 13 years 4 months ago #10369 by Karl Wertanen

cwightmanphotos wrote: You get paid pennies per download. If someone download your image you may make about .20 cents. I am a member to shutterstock. However I was not accepted. To be accepted your photos need to be 100% excellent quality. No hint of noise, bright, crisp, selling subject, the correct composition, exposure etc.. Nothing can be wrong with the photo. You have to submit 10 photos. Those 10 need to be accepted before you can continue to submit more and try to sell them. Out of all the microstock sites, shutter stock is one of the hardest to get in.

.20 cents is rediculus.. w/the time, energy, and practice we put into this hobby, thats hardly worth it.... esepcialy if their standars are that high for entries. If you have photos that are "that good" they are clearly woth more than .20...... from my point of view anyway :silly:
13 years 4 months ago #10375 by crystal

Karl Wertanen wrote: .20 cents is rediculus.. w/the time, energy, and practice we put into this hobby, thats hardly worth it.... esepcialy if their standars are that high for entries. If you have photos that are "that good" they are clearly woth more than .20...... from my point of view anyway :silly:

I agree completely. Mainly microstock sites are for those who do not mind throwing their work around without getting much pay. There are so many people who do get accept and thousands of images to download it's hard to compete. However those of us who would like a few dollars can submit to companies who need photographs. They also have their guidlines too.

To the orginal OP, if you want to get into selling your photos as stock images, buy the book.. Photographers Market. There are alot of companies whom you can submit your work too.
13 years 4 months ago #10381 by neal1977

cwightmanphotos wrote:

Karl Wertanen wrote: .20 cents is rediculus.. w/the time, energy, and practice we put into this hobby, thats hardly worth it.... esepcialy if their standars are that high for entries. If you have photos that are "that good" they are clearly woth more than .20...... from my point of view anyway :silly:

I agree completely. Mainly microstock sites are for those who do not mind throwing their work around without getting much pay. There are so many people who do get accept and thousands of images to download it's hard to compete. However those of us who would like a few dollars can submit to companies who need photographs. They also have their guidlines too.

To the orginal OP, if you want to get into selling your photos as stock images, buy the book.. Photographers Market. There are alot of companies whom you can submit your work too.

Thanks for the tip. How did you here that all they pay is .20 cents per download? That really seems LOW? I can't image anyone selling their work that low?

Photo Comments
13 years 4 months ago #10434 by crystal

neal1977 wrote: Thanks for the tip. How did you here that all they pay is .20 cents per download? That really seems LOW? I can't image anyone selling their work that low?

My bad the pay is between.. .25 - .28 cents a download.
submit.shutterstock.com/

I can't imagine it either, but people do. Somehow, someway they do.
13 years 4 months ago #10446 by Weston

cwightmanphotos wrote:

neal1977 wrote: Thanks for the tip. How did you here that all they pay is .20 cents per download? That really seems LOW? I can't image anyone selling their work that low?

My bad the pay is between.. .25 - .28 cents a download.
submit.shutterstock.com/

I can't imagine it either, but people do. Somehow, someway they do.

WOW so to make a decent living, you would need to have thousands of photos earning something for you. I wonder which company has the highest payout?

13 years 4 months ago #10453 by crystal

Weston wrote: WOW so to make a decent living, you would need to have thousands of photos earning something for you. I wonder which company has the highest payout?

Yes, one does have to uploads tons of images and market themself. I wonder that too. But I am sure the people who are making some kind of money from these stock sites, probably have a normal 9-5 job. So if they make money from a single upload that's great. If they don't, it's no big deal because it's not their main source of income. To make it your main source, one has to take photos that are marketable. Photos that there are not alot of...like medicine, surgery etc.. Anyone can take a flower picture, but if it's sellable is a different story.
13 years 4 months ago #10455 by Dan Dangerfield
Sounds like something like that would make a car payment at best :blink:

13 years 4 months ago #10458 by Karl Wertanen

Dan Dangerfield wrote: Sounds like something like that would make a car payment at best :blink:

lol
:sick:
13 years 4 months ago #10459 by Karl Wertanen

Karl Wertanen wrote:

Dan Dangerfield wrote: Sounds like something like that would make a car payment at best :blink:

lol
:sick:

sorry, i love the faces lol
13 years 4 months ago #10460 by crystal
That depends how little the car payment is. :lol:

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024