Lending Your Camera to a Friend

12 years 7 months ago #139528 by Screamin Scott
Only time I ever did (many years ago) my friend wound up having to get my camera repaired on his dime....Never again.

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
12 years 7 months ago #139538 by Robert Chen

Screamin Scott wrote: Only time I ever did (many years ago) my friend wound up having to get my camera repaired on his dime....Never again.

What happened to it?

Nikon D300 24-70mm f2.8
70-200mm f2.8
50mm f1.4 & 50mm f1.8
105mm f2.8
2 SB800

Photo Comments
12 years 7 months ago #139626 by Mayo
Unless they have the money to replace it, with no questions asked. Not a chance.

Canon 5D - Canon 50mm f/1.4 | Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 | Canon 70-200 f/4L
Photo Comments
12 years 7 months ago #139788 by Crammer

Mayo wrote: Unless they have the money to replace it, with no questions asked. Not a chance.

:agree: Pretty much the best answer in the book

Photo Comments
12 years 4 months ago #181793 by weegreenman1
Very simple answer NO. A friendship could easily be lost if anything happened to the camera. I would not lend my camera or any of my lenses.

12 years 4 months ago #181795 by metalmike92593
not only no, but hell no! if anyone is going to break my camera it will be me! lol! :sick:

12 years 4 months ago #181824 by Todd Knight
LOL I recall seeing this question some time ago, even during the holiday season my answer is still the same. Not a chance.

Photo Comments
12 years 4 months ago #181850 by mwilde
never .never ,never lend your camera to anyone it is an extension of yourself how would you ever forgive if anything happened to it ,also dont ever let anyone use it to take a photo of yourself as happened on holiday ,let us take a photo of you both together they said ,camera was snatched away quickly and they ran off got it car and were gone ,

12 years 4 months ago - 12 years 4 months ago #181853 by imajik1
Absolutely not... to a friend, relative or anyone. No one guards and cares for expensive, sensitive equipment like yourself... and it's not selfish it's just prudent and smart. I would suggest to anyone who asks to rent one.

Cherish precious moments in Life... for we may return to the place... but never the time
12 years 4 months ago #181855 by Doc_Crandall
No.

Most of my friends understand why-while I don't make all my living from my camera, to me it would be like loaning them my laptop for a weekend. Since I work from my laptop-and thus, need it even on weekends-it's not something I just lend out. The few friends that would truly need a camera live close enough to a shop that rents. I send them there.

12 years 4 months ago #181962 by Stealthy Ninja
Mmm old thread comes back to life.

Anyway, yes sure I'd lend my camera to my professional friends who I know will/can replace it if it breaks and I know they will look after it. However they all shoot Canon so they're unlikely to borrow my gear. I actually let people use my gear all the time. The people I hire to work with me on different projects. One of them used my $7000USD video camera and lost some small part. She spend about 1/2 hour looking about in the dark to find the little part! She found it too. Good stuff.

Usually I only "lend" my stuff for an evening of a few hours at most. I'd not trust it with someone overnight (unless they paid me and knew they'd have to pay for replacements etc.).

I'm not married to my gear. I look after it and I make sure people put on the neck strap when they use it, but it's not like a child or something. You can replace it if it breaks.
12 years 4 months ago #182173 by Gene.Culley
These answers are sure entertaining to read! :rofl:

Photo Comments
12 years 4 months ago #182917 by Dragonflies
Red ninja does make a good point, if a professional friend needed my gear and was in a pinch that would be a good exception to lending my camera gear out.

12 years 4 months ago #184007 by ThatNikonGuy
I'll spare you on the details but will say years ago (film camera days) I let a friend borrow my camera for a company picnic event he had to attend to. Needless to say, apparently after a few drinks and being in the sun all day. My friend forgot the camera was placed on top of his car as he took off. :pinch:

He felt bad and ended up buying me a new camera. But still, never again.

Photo Comments
12 years 4 months ago #184016 by Dori
Ouch!

Don't pi$$ me off, I am running out of room to store the bodies...

Resident Texasotan...

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024