Looking for used telescopes that I can mount my camera on?

12 years 10 months ago #108785 by Big Kevin
Where can I find a good used (less expensive than new) telescope that will take a camera mounted on it? Any good sites you can recommend?

12 years 10 months ago #108809 by chasrich
eBay...

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 10 months ago #108812 by Big Kevin

chasrich wrote: eBay...

Been there, was looking for used retailer like KEH or something. :)

12 years 10 months ago #108817 by crystal
I just did that.....we had a telescope for years and for the past 2yrs I have between buying a big ass lens or mounting a scope. Eventually I bought the 50-500. But recently I decided to try and mount the telescope to my camera, so I had to buy a t ring and adaptor......which attaches just fine, but I can't see to get anything in focus. There is no Fstop, which isn't too big of a deal if it means I can reach further, but I can not get in focus. So I'm not sure what I'm going to do now.
12 years 10 months ago #108905 by Joves

crystal wrote: I just did that.....we had a telescope for years and for the past 2yrs I have between buying a big ass lens or mounting a scope. Eventually I bought the 50-500. But recently I decided to try and mount the telescope to my camera, so I had to buy a t ring and adaptor......which attaches just fine, but I can't see to get anything in focus. There is no Fstop, which isn't too big of a deal if it means I can reach further, but I can not get in focus. So I'm not sure what I'm going to do now.

Im guessing it was a Newtonian you were trying that with. Is the focuser on the side of the scope? If yes then you have to move the primary mirror to the Prime Focus position, which is further up the tube. If it has the focuser mounted on the rear then it is a Schmidt/Cassegrain and, is a better astrophotography scope.
To answer your question Kevin there are several telescopes that will work the Newtonians are less expensive but are better for viewing than photographing. If you have a long lens then you can piggy back the camera to the telescope body. The Schmidt/Cassegrains are better for photography but are expensive. I preer to shoot afocally with a Newt, you use a 50mm lense set to infinity and mount it to the focuser with an eye piece in it. It is a more difficult way to shoot but you can get greater magnification. Also you need to have the scope balanced for the cameras weight and a motorized mount doesnt hurt either for tracking the target. In reality it is simpler to get the scope and then a CCD camera for Astrophotography, Sucks I know but astronomy much like photography is a very expensive hobby.

12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #108916 by effron
see here...........

www.telescope.com/Clearance-Center/Teles...rB9qkCFUff4AodCUxLhg

www.astropix.com/

Get a lot of info before you shop, this is a huge industry and it will be easy to spend a massive amount of cash............
Also, try to find a star party or visit a local astronomy club for ideas, you WILL get some fine ideas and save money...........;)

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
12 years 10 months ago #108994 by Henry Peach

effron wrote: Also, try to find a star party or visit a local astronomy club for ideas, you WILL get some fine ideas and save money...........;)

That's the best advice. Almost any telescope can take an slr or dslr. You just need a T-mount adapter for your camera.
12 years 10 months ago #109007 by Eddy
How difficult is it to get shots of galaxies and such? Let me ask that another way: how much "ummf" would you need to be able to see anything other than craters on the moon?

12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #109075 by effron
Completely different subjects. Moon, quarter million miles, galaxies, trillions and trillions of miles. A good 500mm will be great for moon, but you need telescopes and equatorial mounts, etc for galaxies. See my second link above......

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #109083 by The Time Capturer

crystal wrote: I just did that.....we had a telescope for years and for the past 2yrs I have between buying a big ass lens or mounting a scope. Eventually I bought the 50-500. But recently I decided to try and mount the telescope to my camera, so I had to buy a t ring and adaptor......which attaches just fine, but I can't see to get anything in focus. There is no Fstop, which isn't too big of a deal if it means I can reach further, but I can not get in focus. So I'm not sure what I'm going to do now.

I have kinda the same problem, but different.

I bought a t-ring adapter from eBay and it didn't come with instructions. I've never been able to figure out the settings to make it work...

The difference being, I'm trying to use it with a rifle scope. If I can ever figure it out, I'm considering getting a microscope as well.

Sure, practice makes perfect but, unless you learn from your mistakes, you are only perfecting your ability to fail.
12 years 10 months ago #109190 by crystal

Joves wrote:

Im guessing it was a Newtonian you were trying that with. Is the focuser on the side of the scope? If yes then you have to move the primary mirror to the Prime Focus position, which is further up the tube. If it has the focuser mounted on the rear then it is a Schmidt/Cassegrain and, is a better astrophotography scope.

No, you are completely wrong on the models of the telescope I have. I have a Tasco. It's a cheapo. My husband and I picked it out of a book which he was allow to choose a gift for his 5yr anniversary at work. We used to have a Meade telescope years ago...but lost that in the garage fire.

I know how to use the telescope. As a telescope it works just fine, but once on the camera, I only once got it a tad in focus. In focus enough to know what the subject was, but out of focus enough to delete the picture.
12 years 10 months ago #109194 by crystal

The Time Capturer wrote:

I bought a t-ring adapter from eBay and it didn't come with instructions. I've never been able to figure out the settings to make it work...

The difference being, I'm trying to use it with a rifle scope. If I can ever figure it out, I'm considering getting a microscope as well.

Yup, I bought a Celestron T ring and t adapter, hoping it's all I would need. I figure since I have this telescope, I might as well use it. I guess I just need to play with it more to get it in focus. Or I'll just have to shit $ to afford a scope.
I know what I have will work (I hope)....as I read reviews from people who have the same brand telescope and it work for them.
12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #109471 by KCook

The Time Capturer wrote:

Erm, I've never heard of using a T-mount adapter with a rifle scope! Rifle scopes typically have the eyepiece permanently attached, not removable. So, instead of a T-mount, you need to cozy the camera, with its own lens fitted normally, up to the scope's eyepiece. As already described in the post by Joves -

... you use a 50mm lense set to infinity and mount it to the focuser with an eye piece in it ...

Of course forget the bit about the focuser, that is also an integral part of the rifle scope. Keep the space between the camera lens and eyepiece as small as is practical, without them actually touching. For very distanct targets both the camera's lens and the scope should be focused at infinity. For closer targets use the scope to adjust focus, leave the camera lens at infinity.

Kelly Cook

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

12 years 10 months ago #109483 by The Time Capturer
:thumbsup: Thank you.

Sure, practice makes perfect but, unless you learn from your mistakes, you are only perfecting your ability to fail.
12 years 10 months ago #109787 by Joves

crystal wrote:

Joves wrote:

No, you are completely wrong on the models of the telescope I have. I have a Tasco. It's a cheapo. My husband and I picked it out of a book which he was allow to choose a gift for his 5yr anniversary at work. We used to have a Meade telescope years ago...but lost that in the garage fire.

I know how to use the telescope. As a telescope it works just fine, but once on the camera, I only once got it a tad in focus. In focus enough to know what the subject was, but out of focus enough to delete the picture.

OK so you have the Tasco Pefractor, it doesnt have enough focus rack of throw for photography. :lol: They also make Newtonians but they too are are the bottom end of the scale.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The best photography jobs right now are a mix of tried-and-true gigs like wedding photography and new jobs highlighting AI’s capabilities, travel, and videography.

May 15, 2024

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024