Anyone been to Yellowstone or Grand Teton?

12 years 9 months ago #111784 by crystal
Monday, my car had inspection to find out that it needed new brake pads, rotors and tires. Funny, my husband's jeep needed the same thing last month. So thanks to my dad he replace my brakes and rotors, so we didn't have to fork out another huge bill at the shop.

Tuesday, the jeep wouldn't start. Long story short, we all thought it was the starter (the towing guy even said so). So we bought a starter, my dad put it in yesterday. This morning, jeep didn't turn over. So now the jeep is towed to the shop.

We've been wanting to go to Yellowstone every since we came back from West Yellowstone in 2005. Just never had the $ to go. But now I am at the point, we will never have the $, so why not just go while we are still young.

So on top of everything else I am stressing about...I am now doing research on Yellowstone.

So anyone been there care to share advice, tips etc.. Would love to stay at a hotel in Yellowstone, but I am not too keen about sharing a bathroom.
12 years 9 months ago #111788 by Nikonjan
Yes,I have been to Yellowstone about 3 times. Stayed downtown area, the motel was reasonable. A friend from the company I use to work is writing a book with his photos from there, he practically lives there. I have gone in the spring, the bison are mangy at that time. Losing their coats. I took photos of a mama bear and her cubs, at a distance of course.
I went to the Tetons a couple years ago. Stayed in Jackson Hole. I would love to go again. Love the Morman Row barns and the reflections of the mts in the water.
Also that year I went to Glacier Nat. Park. Another must see.
Sorry about your car troubles.

www.betterphoto.com?nikonjan
12 years 9 months ago #111804 by crystal
Thanks Jan. Yea we plan to make a trip up to Glacier.

Are there other hotels in Yellowstone besides what is on this site?..
www.yellowstonenationalparklodges.com/
12 years 9 months ago #111943 by effron
I've been to Yellowstone a few times, honestly will never go again in the summer. Seems every idiot in the hemisphere shares my vacation time. "Lets pet the buffalo", or "That baby bear is so cute, want a cracker, boo boo?". The last time I went there was in winter, and that rocked. Glacier is a great idea, and give some thought to southern Utah.........;)

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
12 years 9 months ago #111949 by Shadowfixer1
It's a lot cheaper to stay in West Yellowstone. I would love to go back someday. Enjoy your trip. One tip. If you are there during a full moon, a night shot of some of the steam vents is pretty cool and a little errie.
12 years 9 months ago - 12 years 9 months ago #111965 by ilh2009ky
I was in Jackson Hole for a business trip several years ago; in fact, it was way back during film days. Ah, memories of Velvia and Provia. Anyway, I spent a couple of added days in the Grand Tetons and then drove to Yellowstone for a day. In so far as the Tetons, it's an amazing place. I plan to go back as soon as I can. I got some nice shots on the flight in out the plane window. Also, a place called Oxbow Bend (I think) offers great early morning photo opportunities. Sometimes moose are out at that time. There are several peaks you can drive up to and have quite a nice viewing perspective. If you go in the Fall, the aspens are beautiful with their white bark Fall colors. There's also a caribou herd near Jackson Hole (just outside the Park). By the way, be sure to checkout Thomas Mangelson's photo gallery while in Jackson Hole. Mangelson's work provided an early source of inspiration for me when I first saw his photos in his gallery in La Jolla, California in 1979. He's one of the best nature, wildlife and landscape photographers that I have ever seen. I still remember many of his images including one where there were several giraffes on a beach in Africa.

Yellowstone was great also. I wish I had been able to spend several days there to see it all. I only got a chance to checkout a few spots.The Upper and Lower Yellowstone River Falls is a must as is the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone. There's a viewing stand where you can see the Lower Falls coming through the canyon in the distance; although you may have to jockey with the crowds to secure the best spots or simply out wait them. When I was there, I had shot five or six rolls and had run out of film. On my way out, traffic slowed to a standstill. The road was blocked by a herd of of bison. Slowly, they surrounded the car as they changed direction and meandered by. If I had had the guts, I could have reached out the window and touched them. Obviously the fact they they were bigger than my compact rental car provided sufficient rationale for me to reframe from touching them. But, I was really ticked that I had no film left at that point. Those would have been great, up close shots. I thik you will definitely enjoy both Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons.

Ian Leslie Harry
www.ilhphotography.com

12 years 9 months ago #112003 by crystal

effron wrote: I've been to Yellowstone a few times, honestly will never go again in the summer. Seems every idiot in the hemisphere shares my vacation time. "Lets pet the buffalo", or "That baby bear is so cute, want a cracker, boo boo?". The last time I went there was in winter, and that rocked. Glacier is a great idea, and give some thought to southern Utah.........;)

When we traveled across the US, we made it to West Yellowstone. Plan to stay there to visit Yellowstone, but that entrance side was closed. This was in March. We were told, the road to old faithful was also closed due to the bears woke up early and it's their migration path. We could have drove to the other entrance, by the time we woke up the next morning, 6 inches of snow fell. We were driving a Mazda with low profiles. So unfortually we missed seeing Yellowstone.
12 years 9 months ago #112004 by crystal

Shadowfixer1 wrote: It's a lot cheaper to stay in West Yellowstone. I would love to go back someday. Enjoy your trip. One tip. If you are there during a full moon, a night shot of some of the steam vents is pretty cool and a little errie.

Yea did stay in West Yellowstone. Enjoy the one night we did stay. We thought about staying in West Yellowstone again, but that would mean we have to travel all the way through Yellowstone to get to the hotel. It's a 2 day drive straight through to begin with...adding the destination of West Yellowstone will add a couple more hours.
12 years 9 months ago #112007 by crystal

ilh2009ky wrote: I was in Jackson Hole for a business trip several years ago; in fact, it was way back during film days. Ah, memories of Velvia and Provia. Anyway, I spent a couple of added days in the Grand Tetons and then drove to Yellowstone for a day. In so far as the Tetons, it's an amazing place. I plan to go back as soon as I can. I got some nice shots on the flight in out the plane window. Also, a place called Oxbow Bend (I think) offers great early morning photo opportunities. Sometimes moose are out at that time. There are several peaks you can drive up to and have quite a nice viewing perspective. If you go in the Fall, the aspens are beautiful with their white bark Fall colors. There's also a caribou herd near Jackson Hole (just outside the Park). By the way, be sure to checkout Thomas Mangelson's photo gallery while in Jackson Hole. Mangelson's work provided an early source of inspiration for me when I first saw his photos in his gallery in La Jolla, California in 1979. He's one of the best nature, wildlife and landscape photographers that I have ever seen. I still remember many of his images including one where there were several giraffes on a beach in Africa.

Yellowstone was great also. I wish I had been able to spend several days there to see it all. I only got a chance to checkout a few spots.The Upper and Lower Yellowstone River Falls is a must as is the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone. There's a viewing stand where you can see the Lower Falls coming through the canyon in the distance; although you may have to jockey with the crowds to secure the best spots or simply out wait them. When I was there, I had shot five or six rolls and had run out of film. On my way out, traffic slowed to a standstill. The road was blocked by a herd of of bison. Slowly, they surrounded the car as they changed direction and meandered by. If I had had the guts, I could have reached out the window and touched them. Obviously the fact they they were bigger than my compact rental car provided sufficient rationale for me to reframe from touching them. But, I was really ticked that I had no film left at that point. Those would have been great, up close shots. I thik you will definitely enjoy both Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons.

Thanks for all that! Yea, when we were entering West Yellowstone 6yrs ago, we saw 1 bison who was grazing along the road. At first we thought it was a statue. lol Until we saw it move, so we quickly turned around and took a picture it. It was the only wildlife we saw in Yellowstone.

We would like to go summer time. Would love to get pictures of baby animals. But now that you mention Autumn, that doesn't sound like a bad idea either.
12 years 9 months ago - 12 years 9 months ago #112053 by MajorMagee
Both trips we've made there we were able to get a hotel in the park without the typical year in advance reservations usually needed. Really just luck, but the trick was to check at the desk at check-out time in the morning for someone who was checking out before the end of their reservations. One was right on Yellowstone Lake in a pretty modern facility, and the other was a two room suite at Old Faithful Lodge out in one of the old wings looking directly at Old Faithful. Staying in the Park saves lots of time each day.

Be careful with the roads, as they're deceptively steep, and your stopping distance will be a bit longer than usual.

The altitude is deceptive. The Lake is at 7,732 ft, and it's all uphill from there. If you get headaches it's probably just from the altitude. Drink plenty of water, take a pain pill, sleep on it, and it should get better with time.

12 years 9 months ago #112162 by crystal

MajorMagee wrote: Both trips we've made there we were able to get a hotel in the park without the typical year in advance reservations usually needed. Really just luck, but the trick was to check at the desk at check-out time in the morning for someone who was checking out before the end of their reservations. One was right on Yellowstone Lake in a pretty modern facility, and the other was a two room suite at Old Faithful Lodge out in one of the old wings looking directly at Old Faithful. Staying in the Park saves lots of time each day.

Be careful with the roads, as they're deceptively steep, and your stopping distance will be a bit longer than usual.

The altitude is deceptive. The Lake is at 7,732 ft, and it's all uphill from there. If you get headaches it's probably just from the altitude. Drink plenty of water, take a pain pill, sleep on it, and it should get better with time.

I'm surprised you were able to get rooms at the last min. I've been checking online for the past 3yrs and the hotels are book for a good 1-2yrs.
12 years 9 months ago #112164 by LesFenton
Sorry to hear about your car problems. I hope that gets resolved soon. I hope you find a way to afford the trip as it is a place very worth while to visit.

My family went there last summer and it was one of the best trips we have been on. We spent the night in Jackson, WY. The hotel was pretty reasonable considering the time of the year that we were there (peak vacation season). I think we booked the room about three months in advance. The next morning we drove thru the Grand Tetons National Park and then thru Yellowstone. We only spent a day in the park and wish we had more time, but this was part of a 6,000 mile journey across the western United States.

The Grand Tetons were beautiful that time of the year (July) and still were snow capped. We got plenty of great shots. We lots of wildlife in Yellowstone, but not until the second half of the day. We saw bison, moose, caribou (or elk, not sure which), deer and black bears.

There were a couple of times where traffic was a little crazy, but that was because of animals sighted nearby (and stupid tourists stopping to take pictures outside of the car) or animals crossing the road. But these were minor incidents and I wouldn't let that deter you from going.

Good luck!

Attachments:
12 years 9 months ago #112184 by Shadowfixer1
A couple of images from Yellowstone. I am going to put up a thread in travel showing some from the Tetons.

Grand Prismatic Springs

Grand Canyon Of The Yellowstone
12 years 9 months ago #112194 by Nikonjan
Don't know if you are into ghost towns but there is a great old mining ghost town not too far from Yellowstone in Virginia City, Montana. You can look it up on the web.

www.betterphoto.com?nikonjan
12 years 9 months ago #112312 by crystal

LesFenton wrote: Sorry to hear about your car problems. I hope that gets resolved soon. I hope you find a way to afford the trip as it is a place very worth while to visit.

My family went there last summer and it was one of the best trips we have been on. We spent the night in Jackson, WY. The hotel was pretty reasonable considering the time of the year that we were there (peak vacation season). I think we booked the room about three months in advance. The next morning we drove thru the Grand Tetons National Park and then thru Yellowstone. We only spent a day in the park and wish we had more time, but this was part of a 6,000 mile journey across the western United States.

The Grand Tetons were beautiful that time of the year (July) and still were snow capped. We got plenty of great shots. We lots of wildlife in Yellowstone, but not until the second half of the day. We saw bison, moose, caribou (or elk, not sure which), deer and black bears.

There were a couple of times where traffic was a little crazy, but that was because of animals sighted nearby (and stupid tourists stopping to take pictures outside of the car) or animals crossing the road. But these were minor incidents and I wouldn't let that deter you from going.

Good luck!

Thanks. :)
Don't worry animals blocking the road or people stopping to take pictures don't bother me....as I will be one of those people shooting too. :)

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024