Looking for case to carry photography gear under the plane as luggage?

13 years 3 months ago #12771 by Scuba Mike
Here is one from Porter Case that I like

Photo Comments
Attachments:
13 years 3 months ago #12785 by Jacob1977

Scuba Mike wrote: Here is one from Porter Case that I like

I'm curious on how sturdy those walls are, looks like a nice case. What do they charge for that?

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #12794 by Scuba Mike

Jacob1977 wrote:

I'm curious on how sturdy those walls are, looks like a nice case. What do they charge for that?

Mid $300 range, just checked their site it's $347.

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago - 13 years 3 months ago #12842 by Jacob1977

Scuba Mike wrote:

Jacob1977 wrote:

Mid $300 range, just checked their site it's $347.

Any other pics? Is that weather proof?

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #12869 by bhowdy
I have a Porter Case that I really like. But as others have said I almost never check my photo gear (if at all possible) I also have a Think Tank International roller that has only been refused one (1) time as a carry on.

If you are going to check photo gear I would strongly recommend that you have your gear correctly insured for theft and damage. Not that it will help if either / both happens on a dream vacation. I believe that the airlines will only pay for a value of up to $250.00, or something ridiculous like that.

I have also shipped big lenses and heavy tripods ahead when we were going to one specific location, i.e Yellowstone, Denali, Acadia .... this has worked well for me too.

Bob Howdeshell

"If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera" ~ Lewis Hine

13 years 3 months ago #12885 by natalie_ramirez
When I fly I use an old hard-sided make-up case of my Mom's. I lined it with thick foam with some cutouts to hold my camera and lens. The plastic tray that fits across the top is handy for all the little things in my bag. It works well and doesn't look like it holds anything of value, so it's not as likely to be a target to get ripped off.

13 years 3 months ago #12940 by Jacob1977

bhowdy wrote: I have a Porter Case that I really like. But as others have said I almost never check my photo gear (if at all possible) I also have a Think Tank International roller that has only been refused one (1) time as a carry on.

If you are going to check photo gear I would strongly recommend that you have your gear correctly insured for theft and damage. Not that it will help if either / both happens on a dream vacation. I believe that the airlines will only pay for a value of up to $250.00, or something ridiculous like that.

I have also shipped big lenses and heavy tripods ahead when we were going to one specific location, i.e Yellowstone, Denali, Acadia .... this has worked well for me too.

So what do you do when the reject your case full of your precious gear? Do you roll the dice and have it go below?

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #12943 by Scotty

Jacob1977 wrote:

bhowdy wrote: I have a Porter Case that I really like. But as others have said I almost never check my photo gear (if at all possible) I also have a Think Tank International roller that has only been refused one (1) time as a carry on.

So what do you do when the reject your case full of your precious gear? Do you roll the dice and have it go below?

Hopefully it never comes to that. Some of us when traveling bring $10,000-$20,000 worth of gear with us. It'd be a nightmare to have any complications.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #12944 by bhowdy
As I said I have only had the Think Tank roller rejected one time. Yes, I had no choice but to reject the roller, so I had to check it and pray. It was on a flight into Canada. Many times the TT Roller is a gate check item on a small commuter flight but I am okay with that and have not had any problems.

Bob Howdeshell

"If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera" ~ Lewis Hine

13 years 3 months ago #12946 by Scotty

bhowdy wrote: As I said I have only had the Think Tank roller rejected one time. Yes, I had no choice but to reject the roller, so I had to check it and pray. It was on a flight into Canada. Many times the TT Roller is a gate check item on a small commuter flight but I am okay with that and have not had any problems.

Everything you have go in the one case? I believe you have a 500 f/4 right?

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #12969 by Monster

Scotty wrote:

Jacob1977 wrote:

Hopefully it never comes to that. Some of us when traveling bring $10,000-$20,000 worth of gear with us. It'd be a nightmare to have any complications.

20,000 grand worth of stuff being put underneath last minute, I would be nervous myself!

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #12981 by bhowdy
I didn't say I wasn't nervous .....
Scotty - Yes the 500mm lens fits just fine in the Think Tank roller.
2 - camera bodies
1 - 500mm lens
1 - 70-200mm
1 - 17-40mm
1 - 11-16mm
1 - 100mm macro
1 - 50mm
2 - teleconverters
1 - 580ex flash
cords, cables, cards, better beamer, etc

Of course I would end up buying the plane if they were to weigh the bag .... in over weight charges! Ha

Bob Howdeshell

13 years 3 months ago #13005 by ShadowWalker

bhowdy wrote: I didn't say I wasn't nervous .....
2 - camera bodies
1 - 500mm lens
1 - 70-200mm
1 - 17-40mm
1 - 11-16mm
1 - 100mm macro
1 - 50mm
2 - teleconverters
1 - 580ex flash

Of course I would end up buying the plane if they were to weigh the bag .... in over weight charges! Ha

That is a pretty hefty load you carry around, I'm guessing 60lbs? :lol:

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #13121 by KenMan

That's a nice looking case, looks like you could use that as a life boat! :cheer:

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #13242 by Weston

ShadowWalker wrote:

bhowdy wrote: I didn't say I wasn't nervous .....
2 - camera bodies
1 - 500mm lens
1 - 70-200mm
1 - 17-40mm
1 - 11-16mm
1 - 100mm macro
1 - 50mm
2 - teleconverters
1 - 580ex flash

That is a pretty hefty load you carry around, I'm guessing 60lbs? :lol:

My guess would be around 45 pounds. :) So who is closer?

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024