Body VS Glass

12 years 7 months ago #149161 by Joshwell
What give you more bang for your buck, better glass or better body.

I mean there is a huge difference in price between crop and full frame bodies.
What more do you get (other than a full frame) from a better body than would you get from upgrading from a $300 lens to a $1500 lens?

12 years 7 months ago #149163 by butterflygirl921
I would go with the better body

12 years 7 months ago #149164 by Radeio
A better quality lens on your current body will result in a better quality image on your current body (compared to low-end or kit lenses).

A higher end crop body (like a 7D) won't take a better picture than the 550D using a low-end or kit lens.

A higher end full frame body won't even be able to use kit lenses, but would not see a benefit without an investment in good lenses anyway.

An upgrade to a 5D or 1D body would clearly be ideal, but the cost of such an endeavor would be significant. And even going used, you would need new lenses anyway.

So, because it comes down to "you really need to have new lenses anyway" and "you'll see instant results in better shots with a better lens" it's generally reccomended that you upgrade your lenses first.

The differences in body prices usually boil down to features: speed, processing, ISO and AF performance, etc. Features that help make shooting in certain situations a lot easier/doable. Of course bigger sensors also add costs as well.

12 years 7 months ago #149165 by Joshwell
Wow, that's a lot of info. Thank you.

So now i gotta spend twice as much on my lens as i did on my camera to get amazing shots....

anyone got a few extra grand laying around they don't need? :blink:

12 years 7 months ago #149167 by Radeio
You don't need an amazing lens to get amazing shots. It certainly helps make a clearer or sharper image and its always fun buying new stuff! But content, composition, and post processing play huge roles too.

12 years 7 months ago #149168 by Graphix

Joshwell wrote: Wow, that's a lot of info. Thank you.

So now i gotta spend twice as much on my lens as i did on my camera to get amazing shots....

I would think a good lens would out last the body....if you take care of it.

12 years 7 months ago #149174 by butterflygirl921

Graphix wrote:

I would think a good lens would out last the body....if you take care of it.

:agree: That is true a good lens will out last the body so if you do have a good lens i would just get a better body

12 years 7 months ago #149225 by KCook
Or . . . . simply upgrade whichever it is you are least happy with :whistle:

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

12 years 7 months ago #149232 by MLKstudios

Get a $100 lens (50mm) and take this course...

www.MLKstudios.com

That's how you get "amazing shots".

:)

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 7 months ago #149240 by butterflygirl921

MLKstudios wrote:

Get a $100 lens (50mm) and take this course...

www.MLKstudios.com

That's how you get "amazing shots".

:)

mmmm ok :whistle:

12 years 7 months ago - 12 years 7 months ago #149252 by MLKstudios
Or you can buy the "amazing photo" lens. But it's really expensive. ;)

Why is it even a question that to become a pro photographer may require investing in your own abilities? It isn't something you can buy. It's something you spend forever learning.

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

12 years 7 months ago #149256 by Psmurf
I would take a better lens anyday

12 years 7 months ago #149262 by MLKstudios
The 50mm is the better lens. ;)

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

12 years 7 months ago #149331 by Henry Peach

Joshwell wrote: What give you more bang for your buck, better glass or better body.

I mean there is a huge difference in price between crop and full frame bodies.
What more do you get (other than a full frame) from a better body than would you get from upgrading from a $300 lens to a $1500 lens?

Generalizations such as "body vs glass" are rarely particularly useful in the real world. Both are important ,and you would be better off comparing specific examples. It's also going to depend on style and shooting situations.

In comparisons between my $400 Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 and my $1300 Canon 24-70 f/2.8 on a Canon 5D (old model, 12.8 mp) I cannot see any image quality difference no matter how hard I pixel peep. On my 5DII (21mp) I can see a very slight difference in sharpness between the lenses when pixel peeping. So spending the extra money on the expensive lens isn't really worth it unless you also upgrade to the expensive body. If we were just looking at my 20"x30" prints you wouldn't be able to tell which was from which no matter what combo of the above mentioned gear I used.

Price is a lousy way to pick gear, but there are usually plenty of other good reasons to choose one tool over another. Take the time to compare specifics, and consider how different features would affect your photography. I try to borrow or rent gear I am considering purchsing, so i can see if the price is worth it to me.
12 years 7 months ago #149335 by icepics
Some good equipment is a help - and a new/better quality lens probably will make more difference and be a better option than a new camera body. And you have to work with whatever is affordable realistically (I'd take a Leica! - but bought a Voigtlander). A good photographer ought to be abe to get a decent photo w/less than the most expensive equipment out there.

Some learning and continuing to improve your skills doesn't hurt either.

Sharon
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024