Scanners recommendation(s) for old film, slides and negatives

13 years 3 months ago #24310 by plufski7
Is anyone digitizing old film/pics, slides and negatives? If so what are your recommendations?
I just had a hankering to start reliving my past (LOLOL) and sharing some of those pics with my old friends...
Thanks in advance, I look forward to the conversation.

13 years 3 months ago #24312 by Becky pics
Oh there is a Epson scanner that I heard that is really good. Damn, I can't think of the model. It's not the typical flatbed scanner.

13 years 3 months ago #24321 by Sm3d5
No matter what model scanner it is, Epson does make some good quality equipment.

13 years 3 months ago - 13 years 3 months ago #24366 by Karl Wertanen
Highly recommended Nikon Coolscan V ED (bang for your buck)! Has a great light source and can scan 35mm negatives and you can make quality sharp prints w/it's scans up around 24x36" (if you know what you are doing). They are going on ebay for around $550 minimum. I have a Nikon LS 2000 film scanner (that was refurbished w/in the last year ) that i'm looking to get rid of and get the Coolscan V ED . The LS 2000 does a great job and is razor sharp but anything past 12-18" prints, native resolution will suffer.

I'm no pro but have done alot of research on the subject. The biggest thing to look for is the Dynamic Range. The closer the rating to 5, the better. Dynamic range is the scanners ability to pull detail out of dark, contrasty areas on the negative and to be able to recreate that detail. If you are looking to get into professional imaging w/negative scanners, I wouldnt go any lower than a Dynamic Range 4.2 which is what the Coolscan V ED has. Theres alot of them that boast extremely high resolution and sell for cheap (like the Plustek OpticFilm 7200 scanners which boast something absurd like 9700dpi (which is way overkill anyway for a 35mm negative... you've already passed the point of diminishing results w/that resolution)) for like $200 new, but the Dynamic Range is just not there... but if you're just looking to scan some negs for around the house printing and dont plan on making any fine art exibits w/them or even print and sell from home you'll be fine w/lower dynamic range scanners.

If you're serious about your scans, I wouldnt recommend a flatbed scanner either. Their negative film strip holders do a horrible job of holding the negative tight and flattening the film. If your film is not flat w/in the negative holder, it will have a real hard time focusing in on the whole image and you'll see blurry area in the scan usually on the outside sections of the negative or slide. A good dedicated, non flatbed film scanner is the way to go for quality.

www.google.com/#hl=en&sugexp=ldymls&xhr=...&fp=2c1a79b55cb84054
The following user(s) said Thank You: plufski7
13 years 3 months ago #24454 by plufski7
Thanks a bunch Karl, one more question...

with negatives... how does the Nikon VE D do with the slightly curled ones?

I will soon find a real heavy book and start the process of flattening them... I wonder how long that will take since they have been curled for up to 30 yrs...LOL...

Again, many thanks
Lanse

13 years 3 months ago - 13 years 3 months ago #24707 by Karl Wertanen

plufski7 wrote: Thanks a bunch Karl, one more question...

with negatives... how does the Nikon VE D do with the slightly curled ones?

I will soon find a real heavy book and start the process of flattening them... I wonder how long that will take since they have been curled for up to 30 yrs...LOL...

Again, many thanks
Lanse

No problem
It mechanically feeds them into the scanner. (in that dark grey section of the scanner on the page i attached). Once you stick the end of the negative in the little slot, mechanical wheels/gears grab the little holes in the side of the negative (forget the name for the edges of the film) and it pulls it through. It's spaced so it's able to keep th negative perfectly flat. The LS2000 is the same way.. All nikon scanners are that way i believe.
www.adorama.com/Reviews/pwr/product-revi...B-2-0-Interface.html

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024