Can Windex glass cleaner be used on lenses?

10 years 11 months ago #284062 by Lillian Harges
Boy I hope this isn't a dumb question. :whistle: If it is, consider that I'm asking this for a friend, who um, was wondering. :whistle:

Really though, can glass cleaner be used on lenses and not damage anything?

10 years 11 months ago #284064 by KCook
Nope, not a good idea. Funny thing, years ago it was very easy to find fluid specifically for cleaning camera lenses. Of course years ago it was also easy to find stores just for photography! Now the only fluids in local stores are really just for eyeglasses or plastic LCD screens. For camera lenses the new "lens pen" gadgets seem to have taken over.

no help Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

10 years 11 months ago #284065 by Lillian Harges
Thank you for the answer. I'm glad I posted this. Any idea what the glass cleaner does to the lens glass?

10 years 11 months ago #284066 by Shadowfixer1

Lillian Harges wrote: Thank you for the answer. I'm glad I posted this. Any idea what the glass cleaner does to the lens glass?

It can destroy the special coatings that are put on the glass lenses.
10 years 11 months ago #284069 by hghlndr6
Just looked in a recent Nikkor manual. It says to use either ethanol or lens cleaner. It's not at all specific as to the lens cleaner chemistry, so Nikon is apparently not concerned about that.

Won't be using ethanol. The only ethanol In the house is for drinking. ;)
10 years 11 months ago #284082 by KCook
The old lens cleaning fluid that Kodak sold was really just a mild soap of a type that did not leave any film behind. I don't think it had ethanol as a component.

This link may be The Last Word on lens cleaning -

www.lensrentals.com/blog/2011/05/the-len...ens-cleaning-methods

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

10 years 11 months ago #284083 by hghlndr6
LOL ... I like the reference to "major lens OCD." :rofl:
10 years 11 months ago #284123 by Moossmann
Oh crap. Really? When I got started I didn't know this and did use glass cleaner on a couple of my lenses. How can you tell if the coating is damaged? I cleaned perhaps 3 times before I got a cleaning kit for my birthday. Could 3 times with glass cleaner damage the glass?

Photo Comments
10 years 11 months ago #284125 by KCook
Not necessarily. Modern lens multi-coatings often have the outer most layer of quartz, which is quite hard. Deliberately put there to protect the other layers of the coating. It was the early simple mag-fluoride coatings that were easy to damage, back a few decades now, The main risk with non-approved fluids is leaving a thin film or trace of the cleaning fluid behind on the lens.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

10 years 11 months ago #284158 by Prago
Heck no! Keep glass cleaner away from your lenses!

SWM into chainsaws and hockey masks seeks like-minded SWF. No weirdos, please
Photo Comments
10 years 11 months ago #284230 by Danny Carson
Horrible for the glass

Photo Comments
10 years 11 months ago #284304 by Uplander
:agree:

Photo Comments
10 years 11 months ago #284316 by icepics
Whenever I've used cleaning liquid I put a small amount on a microfiber cloth not directly on the lens. I use ROR (Residual Oil Remover) as mentioned in the article; a brush (also like mentioned in the article) - I have a vintage one that's really soft. I've used the Zeiss individual cloths mentioned as well as vintage tissue I've bought which seems softer than what's made now.

Then when I'm out shooting sometimes I just breathe on the lens and use a microfiber cloth if not my shirt tail - which may not be recommended but I've done that for years and at this point don't worry about it.

Sharon
Photo Comments
10 years 11 months ago #284412 by Joves

KCook wrote: Not necessarily. Modern lens multi-coatings often have the outer most layer of quartz, which is quite hard. Deliberately put there to protect the other layers of the coating. It was the early simple mag-fluoride coatings that were easy to damage, back a few decades now, The main risk with non-approved fluids is leaving a thin film or trace of the cleaning fluid behind on the lens.

Kelly

The quartz coating is a by product of the coating process, so they do not have to apply it separately. It is like the front coatings on telescope mirrors where they claim that theirs have a Silicon Oxide one. In reality in the modern evaporation process these elements are naturally occurring. Again it is a marketing gimmick to make them sound better. The modern coatings are very tough compared to the ones used in the early days, this is because of as usual improving the processes. When I had to send my one 8 inch mirror in for a recoat because the aluminum was starting to tarnish, I had to use Sulfuric Acid to get the old coating off cleanly. The point being that these modern day coatings are way tougher than people think they are. Being careful is always a good thing, but being paranoid that you will ruin them easily is not.
On a personal note I have used about everything to clean lenses. This includes, oh noes!, the Windexes, pure ammonia, spit, lemon juice, and various acetone/alcohol with no ill effects.

10 years 11 months ago #284434 by Stealthy Ninja

Joves wrote:

KCook wrote: Not necessarily. Modern lens multi-coatings often have the outer most layer of quartz, which is quite hard. Deliberately put there to protect the other layers of the coating. It was the early simple mag-fluoride coatings that were easy to damage, back a few decades now, The main risk with non-approved fluids is leaving a thin film or trace of the cleaning fluid behind on the lens.

Kelly

The quartz coating is a by product of the coating process, so they do not have to apply it separately. It is like the front coatings on telescope mirrors where they claim that theirs have a Silicon Oxide one. In reality in the modern evaporation process these elements are naturally occurring. Again it is a marketing gimmick to make them sound better. The modern coatings are very tough compared to the ones used in the early days, this is because of as usual improving the processes. When I had to send my one 8 inch mirror in for a recoat because the aluminum was starting to tarnish, I had to use Sulfuric Acid to get the old coating off cleanly. The point being that these modern day coatings are way tougher than people think they are. Being careful is always a good thing, but being paranoid that you will ruin them easily is not.
On a personal note I have used about everything to clean lenses. This includes, oh noes!, the Windexes, pure ammonia, spit, lemon juice, and various acetone/alcohol with no ill effects.

That might all be true. But I'm still not putting frakin' windex on my $2000 glass.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Upgrade your kit in 2024 with the best intermediate camera on the market! The question is, what camera fits the bill? We’ve got three top options for you to choose from in this buyer’s guide.

May 15, 2024

The best photography jobs right now are a mix of tried-and-true gigs like wedding photography and new jobs highlighting AI’s capabilities, travel, and videography.

May 15, 2024

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024