What items can you not live without in your camera bag?

10 years 7 months ago #297607 by Todd Phillips
For many, this question will make you realize you have way to much stuff in your camera bag! For the last couple weekends I have been struggling finding what I need in my Lowepro Magnum 400 bag. This isn't exactly a small bag, yet I have it filled up with so much crap. I swear I have issues, I try to organize everything and lean things down, but then my mind tells me "you might need that." At the end, the bag is just as full. When much of it's contents I have not used in nearly forever, but I would hate to be out in the field and realize "oh crap, I needed that and I left it home".

What are some items that would be the core of each photography outing for you? (Aside from the obvious camera and lenses)

10 years 7 months ago #297628 by hghlndr6
Most of the time lately, I've been leaving the house with just a camera and lens. :)
10 years 7 months ago #297644 by garyrhook
Enough to be flexible for many situations, not enough to presume to cover every contingency. Stuff happens. Why haul around something you never (rarely) use?

In other words, if you didn't have something, what would be the worst that could happen?

Photo Comments
10 years 7 months ago #297674 by Don Fischer
When I go to my trials to photograph for a weekend, I take my D5000, my D70 as backup, my 18-105 and 55-300 lense and a spare battery and spare card for both camera's.

10 years 7 months ago #297678 by Joves

hghlndr6 wrote: Most of the time lately, I've been leaving the house with just a camera and lens. :)

:agree:
That is me most of the time since moving here. Now if I was in northern Arizona it is totally different my bag is packed with all sorts of stuff, and not just photo gear. Where I was going when I was there could end up being one of those 50 mile walks home. I have been what most would call stranded a few times, but I just put on the pack, and start heading towards civilization. I have always found someone that would give me a ride within 20 miles max. Some areas you just have to cut cross country, because you know that there will be nobody else driving that way for a few days, so you go to an area that gets more traffic.

10 years 7 months ago #297726 by JaneK
Same here, camera and one lens mounted. Oh and I always have micro fiber cloths on me to clean my lens.

Photo Comments
10 years 7 months ago #297750 by One Creative Girl
Other than lenses and flash, what is super important for me would be spare batteries and memory cards. But those don't take much space at all.

Photo Comments
10 years 7 months ago #297929 by Ian Stone
For me, it's my owners manual to my camera. I don't know how many times in the field I have referenced that. So for me, that is a must have.

Photo Comments
10 years 7 months ago #298071 by tCampbell
It's not in my camera bag, but for me Blackrapid strap is a necessity.

Photo Comments
10 years 5 months ago #310945 by Todd Phillips
I should have added a new Hoodman loop, this gadget is extremely useful if you are shooting much outdoors.

10 years 5 months ago #311067 by Flash Steven
Let's see... non glass. Just memory cards, spare batteries, lens whips, calculator and plastic bags

Canon 7D w/grip, Canon 40D, Canon 70-200mm f2.8 IS L Canon MPE 65mm f2.8 macro; Sigma 70-300mm f2.8; Sigma 150mm f2.8 macro; Sigma 8-16mm f4.5-5.6
Photo Comments
10 years 5 months ago #311685 by Rob Conley

Todd Phillips wrote: I should have added a new Hoodman loop, this gadget is extremely useful if you are shooting much outdoors.

:agree: Hoodman loop is so handy

Photo Comments
10 years 5 months ago #311807 by Vahrenkamp
50mm is my go to lens these days, always have my tripod with me, ND filter and polarizer

Photo Comments
10 years 5 months ago #311825 by McBeth Photography
Marumi DG Super Circular Polarizer, ND-8 filter (Marumi), 3 stop soft-edge Graduated Neutral Density filter (Singh-Ray). And also lately, a film body with Pan F Plus 50.

It is what it is.
10 years 5 months ago #312459 by Foxy Girl
This is a odd one, but for me. I need to have my music with me. Call me the odd ball, music makes me enjoy photography to a whole new level.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024