How come people get worked up over watermarks?

10 years 5 months ago #310071 by Dana Leeson
I can understand if the watermarks are huge and take up the entire photo, but if the watermark is smaller size, why do people get worked up over them? Isn't the whole idea of a watermark to establish brand recognition?

Photo Comments
10 years 5 months ago #310085 by effron
It shouldn't matter. Whoever posts the photos, watermarked or not, its their photo, their choice...no?

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: photokat
10 years 5 months ago #310093 by Tim Chiang
Loaded topic this one is. Watermarks are the creators choice. I have seen some watermarks that are indeed atrocious that take up so much of the photos space. But that's their choice. What I do find comical are the photos that are bad photos to start that have this huge ugly watermark going through the center. I think some photographers are delusional in their photos quality.

Photo Comments
10 years 5 months ago #310175 by StephanieW
There's no reason for anyone to get upset over small unobtrusive watermarks. Giant watermarks through the center of an image can throw things off, but, as others have stated, totally the creators choice. People who crop watermarks off of photos suck though. I've posted photos before saying that if you want an unwatermarked copy you can contact me and as long as you source me we're cool, but nope, they just hack it off and post without credit. It infuriates me like crazy.

The following user(s) said Thank You: photokat
10 years 5 months ago #310209 by Stealthy Ninja
People get worked up over watermarks?! :huh:
10 years 5 months ago #310275 by renanpaiva
I ready about that and I found an interesting thing about, you don't need watermark your photos just upload in small size such as 1600px in the big size.

If you apply the 300 dpi rule the max size for print is 5"x4".

And for web is a good size.

10 years 5 months ago #310321 by garyrhook

StephanieW wrote: I've posted photos before saying that if you want an unwatermarked copy you can contact me and as long as you source me we're cool, but nope, they just hack it off and post without credit. It infuriates me like crazy.

Send a takedown notice to the hosting provider. That'll fix 'em.

Photo Comments
10 years 5 months ago #310501 by Foxy Girl

effron wrote: It shouldn't matter. Whoever posts the photos, watermarked or not, its their photo, their choice...no?

:agree:

Photo Comments
10 years 5 months ago - 10 years 5 months ago #310503 by StephanieW

garyrhook wrote:

StephanieW wrote: I've posted photos before saying that if you want an unwatermarked copy you can contact me and as long as you source me we're cool, but nope, they just hack it off and post without credit. It infuriates me like crazy.

Send a takedown notice to the hosting provider. That'll fix 'em.

It's Tumblr though. I have actually contacted Tumblr staff and gotten them removed successfully though, but it's so widespread I can't track down all of them. And once people reblog things on Tumblr you can't remove the reblogs. You can only remove the original post so if you want it to stop spreading you have to catch it immediately. I got two people successfully removed before anyone reblogged it, but I've seen my pictures go across my dashboard with hundreds or thousands of notes and there is no way to remove those.

To clarify, these are often pictures of celebrities and people include my work in photosets. I'm flattered to be included, but frustrated when they don't provide link backs.

10 years 5 months ago #310787 by Silver Fox
I don't get worked up. If you want to add a watermark, good for you. It's your choice.

Photo Comments
10 years 5 months ago #311963 by Soccer Mom
I personally don't place watermarks on mine, but don't really have a problem with those that do.

Canon 7D, 18-55mm, 55-250mm, 70-200mm L f/2.8, 100mm and 17-55mm f/2.8
Photo Comments
10 years 5 months ago #312017 by Joves
I do not care if people want to watermark or not. And Stephanie it sounds as if you need to do it in an intrusive matter so the cannot crop it out easily. Granted that will not be much of a deterrent for somebody that has the right program, but for most of the idiots you are dealing with I bet it will.

10 years 5 months ago #312089 by StephanieW

Joves wrote: I do not care if people want to watermark or not. And Stephanie it sounds as if you need to do it in an intrusive matter so the cannot crop it out easily. Granted that will not be much of a deterrent for somebody that has the right program, but for most of the idiots you are dealing with I bet it will.

I do it small and unobtrusively in the corner. I assumed people in my groups would respect it. I was so incredibly wrong.

10 years 5 months ago - 10 years 5 months ago #312441 by StephanieW
This comic went across my Tumblr dashboard and I thought it was appropriate for this thread. It made me laugh.

It's titled "How to remove watermark's from other people's art."

source

Attachments:
10 years 5 months ago #312559 by garyrhook
:rofl: Awesome.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024