When it comes to making ISO adjustments...

10 years 2 months ago #347811 by Jennifer Krueger
Boy, I don't touch my ISO settings much at all.  Most of the time for me it's around ISO 200.  I think I have had it a few times higher, but not much.  

Photo Comments
10 years 2 months ago #347815 by Hassner
Every situation calls for its own limitations. It depends what the end result is for. Printed? Published? Internet? Size?

This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
No one kicks up there feet next to the water cooler better than this person.  Top poster - LoungeLounge Guru
Photo Comments
10 years 2 months ago #347893 by Stealthy Ninja

Hassner wrote: Every situation calls for its own limitations. It depends what the end result is for. Printed? Published? Internet? Size?

Also the subject.   
10 years 2 months ago #347915 by China White
This is something I need to learn as well, these point and shoots make it too easy.

Photo Comments
10 years 2 months ago - 10 years 2 months ago #347937 by Stealthy Ninja
Going back to something I mentioned before.

Here is a shot taken (at the event I mentioned the other day) shot at 12800iso (of course some NR has been added):

And here's a 100% crop:

Some would say... "oh no, NOISE!" (probably landscape photographers :lol:  )...  However you can see, expose it right and add a little NR and 12800 (on a 1Dx tee hee) can be fine.  Also, you need to look at it as a whole and for what purpose it is being shot AND the subject (as mentioned a landscaper couldn't handle this much noise, but for event photography it's fine).
10 years 2 months ago - 10 years 2 months ago #348031 by KCook

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

10 years 2 months ago #348161 by Roman Omell
Although I know my camera can go effectively use ISO higher than 1000, I rarely find the need.  Like many here, I find my self utilizing a thin ISO range.  For myself it's between 200 and 400. 

Photo Comments
10 years 2 months ago #348263 by Stacy Craig
I'm always doing portraits and always try to keep the lowest ISO number I can, so really don't stray past 200.  That's what a flash is for!  

Photo Comments
10 years 2 months ago #348269 by Joves
Well I am mostly in the 200 to 800 range, but if the shot calls for higher, then I go higher. The only part of the range I do not use are the pushes, or pulls to go lower. I keep the camera in the native ISO range. Since most of what I shoot is static I choose to use support over going higher. If I was shooting action then I will go higher to get the shot.

10 years 2 months ago #349497 by Stealthy Ninja

Stacy Craig wrote: I'm always doing portraits and always try to keep the lowest ISO number I can, so really don't stray past 200.  That's what a flash is for!  

Sure since you're only doing portraits.  Try shooting a candle light dinner when the client doesn't want you to use flash because it'll disturb the guests.

It all depends on your style, subject and lighting available.
10 years 2 months ago - 10 years 2 months ago #349553 by KENT MELTON
:agree:   you'll need to get friendly with higher ISO

Photo Comments
10 years 2 months ago #349555 by SDHPics
Depends on what I'm shooting. When shooting street I can easily get up to 6400 but when shooting portraits in studio I never go above 100.

I was so afraid to raise my ISO above 600, tried to always keep it at 100 but when I watched a course with jay Maisel and he said he keeps his camera at 1600 all the time so he can keep his shutter speed fast (he said that he'd rather have a sharp image with noise than a blurry photo with no noise) and I thought "I need to get over this ISO anxiety". Having said that Jay is a street photographer where you can't control the lighting.

10 years 2 months ago #350477 by shelland
When shooting basketball or night football, I don't have much choice - even at f/2.8 I often have to go to 3200 or 4000 to be somewhere around 1/500 if at all possible. 

Scott

- Twin Cities, MN

10 years 2 months ago #350931 by Miss Polly
Like many here my sweet spot with ISO is between 200 and 800.  For my photography, I just don't find the need for higher.  

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The best photography jobs right now are a mix of tried-and-true gigs like wedding photography and new jobs highlighting AI’s capabilities, travel, and videography.

May 15, 2024

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024