Remove battery, you should remove memory card first?

10 years 2 months ago #349201 by Zeberk
I had another photographer tell me today that I'm potentially damaging my memory card by not removing it when swapping out battery.  Isn't this what the power button is for?  I always thought if camera if turned to OFF, that you can swap out battery and not harm anything.   Am I correct or is this other photographer?  

Photo Comments
10 years 2 months ago #349311 by effron
Pure swill. It makes no difference.....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
10 years 2 months ago #349323 by Hassner
It does not even makes sense.

Your camera book or card manufacturer would have warned you.

This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
No one kicks up there feet next to the water cooler better than this person.  Top poster - LoungeLounge Guru
Photo Comments
10 years 2 months ago #349347 by garyrhook

Zeberk wrote: I had another photographer tell me today that I'm potentially damaging my memory card by not removing it when swapping out battery.  Isn't this what the power button is for?  I always thought if camera if turned to OFF, that you can swap out battery and not harm anything.   Am I correct or is this other photographer?  

See, now, apparently they'll let just anyone buy a camera.  We need to institute background checks and a cooling off period before actually letting anyone take possession of a camera.  Too many idiots running around.

OK, enough snark. I pop my battery out without even turning off the camera. I change memory cards without turning off the camera. I change lenses without turning off the camera. My Nikon D5100 seems unaffected by any of this.

The person to whom you spoke was grossly misinformed.

Photo Comments
10 years 2 months ago #349457 by Stealthy Ninja
Tell him: You're POTENTIALLY harming the air by breathing it.
10 years 2 months ago #349519 by Karen Comella
Is there any chance he was talking about turning the camera off to swap out the battery?  I've heard that before.  I have even heard to turn off the camera if you want to swap memory card out too.  

Photo Comments
10 years 2 months ago #349543 by hghlndr6

Karen Comella wrote: Is there any chance he was talking about turning the camera off to swap out the battery?  I've heard that before.  I have even heard to turn off the camera if you want to swap memory card out too.  

Turn the camera off, pull the battery = same thing = no juice.  Idiotic!
10 years 2 months ago #349551 by Stealthy Ninja

hghlndr6 wrote:

Karen Comella wrote: Is there any chance he was talking about turning the camera off to swap out the battery?  I've heard that before.  I have even heard to turn off the camera if you want to swap memory card out too.  

Turn the camera off, pull the battery = same thing = no juice.  Idiotic!

But... but... the POTENTIAL is there!  What if he gets struck by lightening and if he removed the battery the lightening would have struck the battery instead of the camera, therefore saving the camera?!  :silly:
10 years 2 months ago #349659 by Conner
I can't see anyone being serious about this?  So I would say there is some miscommunication in his message to you.  I agree what assumption Karen made.  

Photo Comments
10 years 2 months ago #349795 by Jennifer Krueger
I turn my camera off when I change my memory card, that's it.  

Photo Comments
10 years 2 months ago - 10 years 2 months ago #349809 by Leilanee
Edit: Thought you were talking about camera, not memory card which would be even more absurd.

There always seems to be bizarre ways that people think their memory card is getting wrecked... maybe that's just what the manufacturer was telling them so they didn't have to replace it ;)

10 years 2 months ago #349825 by Leilanee

garyrhook wrote: OK, enough snark. I pop my battery out without even turning off the camera.

:lol: I do this too... thank god I'm not the only one, I always feel a little dirty when I do.

10 years 2 months ago #349983 by Ryan Obryan
I'm sorry, but this statement was funny.   Why is it, the not so smart photographers are spreading wrong information.  It makes the rest of us look dumb!  New guy perhaps?  

Photo Comments
10 years 2 months ago #350031 by Joves

Stealthy Ninja wrote: Tell him: You're POTENTIALLY harming the air by breathing it.

:rofl:
Probably a mouth breather that needs a drool cup as well.
Well hell then you need to take the lens off too, because hurr durrrz it might short out the contacts. I would have asked them which medications they were on.

10 years 2 months ago #350215 by Stealthy Ninja

Leilanee wrote:

garyrhook wrote: OK, enough snark. I pop my battery out without even turning off the camera.

:lol: I do this too... thank god I'm not the only one, I always feel a little dirty when I do.

:blink:

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The best photography jobs right now are a mix of tried-and-true gigs like wedding photography and new jobs highlighting AI’s capabilities, travel, and videography.

May 15, 2024

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024