Traveling photographer rights when flying?

9 years 11 months ago #374444 by Damon
I just got back from a quick trip out to Dallas and brought my photography bag with me anticipating some free time to take some photos.  On the flight there, over head space was limited, I was already sitting down with my camera bag stored above.  My camera bag is smaller than the size limits for overhead storage.  Long story short, the flight attendant was playing musical bags, and trying to make room by removing larger bags already stored above for the last passengers who were boarding late.  She was having these larger bags stored below as checked baggage.  Well I didn't want my camera bag stored below and this lead into an argument where I swear I thought I was going to get taser'd by an air marshal!  The flight attendant didn't care that I had sensitive expensive electronics in my bag and no lock.   I understood her reasoning and respect what the flight crew needs to do.  However this bag wasn't all that big, it was full of my camera gear and I had no lock. 

So my question is, do we as travelers have rights in cases like this?  As a paying passenger who has not broken any rules, do I have final say?  Again my bag was well below the max size for overhead storage.  

Thank you for advise.  

9 years 11 months ago #374448 by effron
Mine stays with me, there is no debate.  Let me guess, Delta?

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
9 years 11 months ago #374451 by JeremyS
As far as I'm concerned the flight crew can find someone else to pester, your a paying passenger and you haven't broken any rules concerning size. They shouldn't need to punish you over their own mistakes.

9 years 11 months ago #374469 by Ruby Grace
Especially if we are talking about my camera gear, it stays with me.  I will politely let them know what I have in bag and that this bag stays with me.  

Canon EOS 5D Mark II, 17-40mmL, 24-105mmL, 100-400mmL, 300mm f/4L IS, Sigma 12-24mm, 430EX, Extension tubes
Photo Comments
9 years 11 months ago #374472 by Don Fischer
I'm retired and in no big hurry to go anywhere. it's their plane and I don't have to take it. Give me back my money and my luggage, unless of course I can keep my stuff here. And don't worry, there won't be a next time. I very seldom get on a plane. Last time was over ten years ago!

9 years 11 months ago #374475 by Stealthy Ninja
I don't know about rights.  I guess there is some, but airlines also have their own rules and considering it's their plane, they can probably force you to do certain things.  However, I'd certainly fight to have my camera equipment kept on board.  
So, which airline is it?  So we can all avoid it.
9 years 11 months ago #374499 by Damon

effron wrote: Mine stays with me, there is no debate.  Let me guess, Delta?

You got it!  Delta

9 years 11 months ago #374502 by Damon
Well, it's good to see I'm on the same page with most.  I think its' time for a new local airline.  

9 years 11 months ago #374508 by Alan Nunez
I have never an will never let an airline check in my camera bag. At least we don't need to worry about our film going throughout the X-ray these days!

9 years 11 months ago #374512 by Roblane
I would stand my ground on keeping my bag with me.  We all have seen those video's, where the baggage handling people are throwing bags.  Can you image how your cameras would look after this?  

Photo Comments
9 years 11 months ago #374569 by garyrhook
If you pay attention to the departure announcements, you are reminded that you are required, by law, to obey the directions of the flight attendants. On board, they are the supreme authority, like it or not (and I don't always like it, but whatever...) So, yeah, they can pretty much do whatever they see fit to do with you or your bags.

That said, I don't underrstand why it wouldn't be first come, first served; and a reasonable, polite request ought to be respected, especially if a bad isn't one of the standard rolling suitcases.

I'd register a complaint with the airline, inquire as to their policies and how you can ensure that you're never put into that position again, and possibly use a different carrier.

That said, traveling by air any more is just not pleasant.

Photo Comments
9 years 11 months ago #374654 by Stealthy Ninja
Delta.  I’ve heard of them…

This video has some slightly ‘rude’ stuff but I think you’ll enjoy it:
9 years 11 months ago #374655 by Stealthy Ninja

garyrhook wrote: If you pay attention to the departure announcements, you are reminded that you are required, by law, to obey the directions of the flight attendants. On board, they are the supreme authority, like it or not...

What a retarded law.
9 years 11 months ago #374661 by Ian Stone

Roblane wrote: I would stand my ground on keeping my bag with me.  We all have seen those video's, where the baggage handling people are throwing bags.  Can you image how your cameras would look after this?  

Did you see the one with United and the guitar? 

Photo Comments
9 years 11 months ago #374665 by JeremyS
Recently there was a case with Air Canada, with them throwing the carry-on luggage being placed into the cargo area. They threw the luggage from the skywalk down two stories into a luggage box. That is the exact reason why I would keep mine with me at all times

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024