Approaching a good looking male or female in public and asking to photograph them?

9 years 11 months ago #376841 by Kristy Blake
First off if you see a good looking person that you know would photograph really well and look good in your portfolio, will you approach them and let them know you would like to photograph them?  I'm not talking about one shot on the street and off they go, I'm talking about a full blown portrait session. 

How are you asking them, offering them, etc.?  Do you have any special language in your model release form?

I see good looking people all the time and would like to approach them, but don't because I don't know what I should say, or if this is just the wrong way of getting photos to fill my portfolio. 

Photo Comments
9 years 11 months ago #376846 by Leilanee
Sounds a little creepy.  If someone randomly approached me and asked to shoot me I'd be pretty weirded out.
I don't know if people do that, but from my experience, I take pictures of friends and people I know and connections are made and things branch off through that.  Usually a work buddy can lead from one thing to another and so on.

Learn to network, and make connections, and put your name out there so that people willingly come to you and you can withhold a good reputation for yourself as a business professional.

There are also websites like modelmayhem.com that are tools specifically for finding subjects who want to have their pictures taken.

9 years 11 months ago #376851 by Luca
Why not just level with them.  "I'm building my portfolio and would like to offer you some free portraits".  See where that gets you.

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave-Wilco
9 years 11 months ago #376861 by Hassner
It can be very easy. All you need is a business card. Name, profession, (photographer, even if it is a hobby) mobile number, email address and, if you have, a website.

Approach the person with your card ready and say, "You have a beautiful face. I am a photographer and I would love to take some photos of you. Here is my card [with my website] with my email address. if you are interested, please mail or call me. I can mail you some examples of my work." That is if you do not have a website.

It is even easier for a woman. In my young days there were no websites or email. The person just had to trust you.

Do not worry. The person you approach is very flattered. The biggest problem I had with the trust issue was that girls of student age would come with their mother who would interfere with the process. Also, the model can never relax with mom chirping in.

So, give your card, say your lines, leave. Now it is in their hands.
Give out enough cards, as you might only have a one in five, response.

This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
No one kicks up there feet next to the water cooler better than this person.  Top poster - LoungeLounge Guru
Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave-Wilco
9 years 11 months ago #376868 by garyrhook
:agree:  Right. Be prepared, be professional (a business card should be enough to vet your sincerity), be friendly and personable, and be brief.

Photo Comments
9 years 11 months ago #376894 by Paris Gal
I have asked a few times, and one woman accepted and then after the free portrait session I gave her, about 3 weeks after I got referral from her.  It wasn't a big job, but it was still a new client. 

5D mark II gripped | Canon 100L | Canon 85 1.8 | Sigma 50 1.4 | Tamron 28-75 2.8 | 580ex II | 430ex II x 2 |
Photo Comments
9 years 11 months ago #377016 by Pettigrew
:agree:    have your proposal well rehearsed when you hand over your business card 

Canon EOS 7D SLR | XT W/18-55 Kit Lens | Canon 50mm 1.8 | Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 | Canon 28-105mm | Canon 75-300mm | Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro | Canon 100-400
Photo Comments
9 years 11 months ago - 9 years 11 months ago #377136 by Simon Says
I have also asked a few times

9 years 11 months ago #377217 by J Hemingway
Like many others have stated already, it's all about your approach and how prepared are you.  Do you come across as a professional or someone who is shooting from the hip?  Like anything else, preparation will go a long way in your success and how others perceive you.  

Photo Comments
9 years 11 months ago #377327 by Kristy Blake
Thank you all, good food for thought

Photo Comments
9 years 11 months ago #377329 by Alan Nunez
Go for it. Make sure you have a Business Cards and a well practiced pitch so it does not sound creepy. It helps when you are on a shoot and have you gear with you as it adds credibility. I would also make sure you have a model release and pen ready in your kit as this will make it seem like you are prepared and professional.

9 years 11 months ago #377508 by Stealthy Ninja
Being an extremely attractive person, I truly wonder why no one has ever asked me for a photo.

9 years 11 months ago #377522 by Tim Dordeck
Well I don't think it's creepy at all.  If you have the right approach and are professional about it, fair game IMHO

Photo Comments
9 years 11 months ago #377624 by EOS_Fan
I would have no problem with this.  Isn't that what photographers do?  Take pictures of people?  I would be flattered if someone wanted to take my photo.  Well let me clarify that if you asked me and were professional, then yes I would be flattered.  If you were unprepared and didn't have a clear message to me, I would assume you were not a pro.  

Photo Comments
9 years 11 months ago #377675 by Paris Gal

EOS_Fan wrote: I would have no problem with this.  Isn't that what photographers do?  Take pictures of people?  I would be flattered if someone wanted to take my photo.  Well let me clarify that if you asked me and were professional, then yes I would be flattered.  If you were unprepared and didn't have a clear message to me, I would assume you were not a pro.  

That's how I feel about this

5D mark II gripped | Canon 100L | Canon 85 1.8 | Sigma 50 1.4 | Tamron 28-75 2.8 | 580ex II | 430ex II x 2 |
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024