Psychologists Say Taking Too Many Photos Could Be Affecting Your Brain

9 years 6 months ago #410256 by effron

ShutterPal wrote: You see what I mean though?  I does get you thinking about things.  

Not me. You couldn't get me thinking if you hit me on the noggin with a Funk and Wagnalls. I am getting stupider (more stupid?) with every shutter trip, and I of course, care not.....:P

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
9 years 6 months ago #410270 by EOS_Fan
Well what are your memories worth?  Trade off, to losing the opportunity.  No memories are recorded.  

Photo Comments
9 years 6 months ago #410281 by KENT MELTON

EOS Man wrote: Good article.  I agree with it.  I've been to many events, birthday parties, weddings, family BBQ's where I had all sorts of photos, but when I slow down and actually think about my involvement, it's almost as an outsider.  My mind was never 100% invested into each of those events.  I was invested in capturing the moments, the photo of someone performing something or showing happyness.  

I think this paradigm, most photographers need to be aware of and try to step out of it from time to time.  

:agree:  

Photo Comments
9 years 6 months ago #410375 by Conner
So the big question is, after reading this.  Will you change how much time you are taking photos?

Photo Comments
9 years 6 months ago #410393 by Joves

Conner wrote: So the big question is, after reading this.  Will you change how much time you are taking photos?

:rofl: :beerbang:
Nope!
If I remember correctly this study was posted in here a couple of months ago when it first commented on from another site. First she had very few people that were a part of the study, and second I could never find out whether the people she used were actually photographers, or your average college student. Because this also makes a difference in the outcome.
As John pointed out if I am at some gathering, and happen to be both participating, and shooting, I am not just mindlessly shooting. I shoot something because there was something worth shooting. So I am capturing something, or a moment that most missed. I do not miss a whole lot of what is going on, nor do I ever feel like I am the odd man out.
Now as far as someone shooting say sporting, entertainment, or events for pay. They do not really care about being a part of the whole thing beyond getting the money shots, and getting paid, they would rather be apart from the event. Having any long lasting memories is not really important.
Also I bet that if she used actual photographers to look at some objects, and then photograph others we would have remembered more of them. This is due to the fact I know for me I would have be deciding whether it made a good shot, or not, and how the light played on it, or didn't. So I think the whole premise is cracked.

9 years 6 months ago #410599 by Shane H
I'm going to agree with Joves on this.  Although first glance it makes somewhat sense, but upon closer look, there are back doors to this thought and those doors are wide open. 

9 years 6 months ago #410690 by garyrhook

Joves wrote: If I remember correctly this study was posted in here a couple of months ago when it first commented on from another site. First she had very few people that were a part of the study, and second I could never find out whether the people she used were actually photographers, or your average college student. Because this also makes a difference in the outcome.

This isn't issue for photographers, it's an issue for the masses. Photographers would be the exception, not the rule.

As John pointed out if I am at some gathering, and happen to be both participating, and shooting, I am not just mindlessly shooting. I shoot something because there was something worth shooting. So I am capturing something, or a moment that most missed. I do not miss a whole lot of what is going on, nor do I ever feel like I am the odd man out.

Yeah, but that's you. Does that make your experience average, or exceptional, and how does that compare to the average bozo with a cellphone? It seems pretty evident that a photographer would accurately remember what actually happened. Again, we're not talking about photographers, we're talking about the average person that can put their cellphone down long enough to do the grocery shopping.

Now as far as someone shooting say sporting, entertainment, or events for pay. They do not really care about being a part of the whole thing beyond getting the money shots, and getting paid, they would rather be apart from the event. Having any long lasting memories is not really important.

Again, non sequitor. 

Also I bet that if she used actual photographers to look at some objects, and then photograph others we would have remembered more of them. This is due to the fact I know for me I would have be deciding whether it made a good shot, or not, and how the light played on it, or didn't. So I think the whole premise is cracked.

Because she used average people in her study? I don't think studying whether actual photographers can do their job is in the least bit interesting. So I'll disagree with your assertion, just for the fun of it.

Photo Comments
9 years 6 months ago #410855 by Joves

garyrhook wrote:

Joves wrote: If I remember correctly this study was posted in here a couple of months ago when it first commented on from another site. First she had very few people that were a part of the study, and second I could never find out whether the people she used were actually photographers, or your average college student. Because this also makes a difference in the outcome.

This isn't issue for photographers, it's an issue for the masses. Photographers would be the exception, not the rule.

Yeah, but that's you. Does that make your experience average, or exceptional, and how does that compare to the average bozo with a cellphone? It seems pretty evident that a photographer would accurately remember what actually happened. Again, we're not talking about photographers, we're talking about the average person that can put their cellphone down long enough to do the grocery shopping.

Again, non sequitor. 

Because she used average people in her study? I don't think studying whether actual photographers can do their job is in the least bit interesting. So I'll disagree with your assertion, just for the fun of it.

:rofl:
That is what I expect. But she is making broad sweeping assertions on her own as well, and calling it a fact. That was the problem I had with it when I first read it. So I see her study as being irrelevant to the population as a whole. She just needed to write something to get published to raise her standing in the world of academia.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The best photography jobs right now are a mix of tried-and-true gigs like wedding photography and new jobs highlighting AI’s capabilities, travel, and videography.

May 15, 2024

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024